HC Again - Treviso vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

HC Again - Treviso vs Ulster

Post by ruckover »

Bit quiet on here about this game so far, in my opinion it's a huge match because a bonus point win would put the pressure on Leicester and it would go a long way to hopefully getting us a quarter-final at Ravenhill. I'd go as far to say that a bonus point is near essential.

Question is: what's our game plan - win the game, or go all out? You can say Treviso will be a different animal at home, but if we can put seven tries on them at home and nil them at the same time, then we can surely take five points away as well. Go all out in my opinion, get a couple of early scores and their interest will evaporate completely.

Oh, and same team as last week please.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: HC Again - Treviso vs Ulster

Post by pwrmoore »

I remember putting 33 points to nil on a certain team at home some years ago only to discover that the away game was an entirely different prospect. Obviously Treviso are not Leicester. But they are a wounded animal in their own home and not to be taken lightly.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Oh and while a bonus point win would be nice what happens in Montpellier next week is far more influential on the outcome of the group. We must secure the win because a loss is no good to us. If Montpellier defeat Leicester and we win even without a bonus then we are almost home and hosed. If Leicester win in montpelier then the group will more than likely go to the wire when we Play Leicester in Welford road in the last game.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Will Henry and Wallace be on the bench?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pwrmoore wrote:Oh and while a bonus point win would be nice what happens in Montpellier next week is far more influential on the outcome of the group. We must secure the win because a loss is no good to us. If Montpellier defeat Leicester and we win even without a bonus then we are almost home and hosed. If Leicester win in montpelier then the group will more than likely go to the wire when we Play Leicester in Welford road in the last game.
Yeah, that's the height & breadth of it. Like the great teams you go out making no assumptions (Toulouse often the biggest culprits for that) & play the game that is there on the day. Assuming we can field the same team we should be capable of the TBP. Our HC team has always been too strong for the Italians over the years. We only ever struggle when the numbers of casualties or international calls put us on the back foot.

My only concern was being able to field a strong team.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Go all out, a la Leinster's last pool game last year. Every penalty, straight to touch for at least the first 30 minutes.

If that doesn't yield at least two tries by the 30-minute mark, and/or we are behind/less than 5 in front, take kicks at goal as well. But if we're not fit to take 5 points from Monigo, we frankly don't deserve the Heineken.
It's the hope that kills you.
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Go all out, a la Leinster's last pool game last year. Every penalty, straight to touch for at least the first 30 minutes.

If that doesn't yield at least two tries by the 30-minute mark, and/or we are behind/less than 5 in front, take kicks at goal as well. But if we're not fit to take 5 points from Monigo, we frankly don't deserve the Heineken.
Not a chance. Take the points, build the lead, knook the spirit out of them and then think about the bonus point.
I didn't see the first half of the Toulouse Connacht match on Sunday but am led to believe that Toulouse put kickable penalties into the corner from the start.
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

damianmcr wrote:Will Henry and Wallace be on the bench?
One of them might the other not
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

eeyore wrote:Not a chance. Take the points, build the lead, knook the spirit out of them and then think about the bonus point.
+10

Worry about winning the game first, then worry about bonus points as a (distant) second.

No bonus point - disappointing, but not disastrous.
No win - might as well be the 4 horsemen riding down Onslow!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
damianmcr wrote:Will Henry and Wallace be on the bench?
One of them might the other not
I don't think we need to risk Chris if he is borderline and hasn't had any game time.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Well Peter Nelson won't be selected.

It is time to spare a thought for Dungannon and Ulster midfielder, Peter Nelson who was originally picked for the bench in Ulster’s European Cup match against Treviso only to be told later that he was not registered for the Heineken Cup. Ulster won the game easily, 48-0, with the help of tries from Dungannon players, Sean Doyle and Paddy Jackson and the talented Nelson had to be content with a run out for the Ulster Ravens in the B&I Cup at Ayr.

http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/sport/othe ... -1-5736689
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bootlaced wrote:Well Peter Nelson won't be selected.

It is time to spare a thought for Dungannon and Ulster midfielder, Peter Nelson who was originally picked for the bench in Ulster’s European Cup match against Treviso only to be told later that he was not registered for the Heineken Cup. Ulster won the game easily, 48-0, with the help of tries from Dungannon players, Sean Doyle and Paddy Jackson and the talented Nelson had to be content with a run out for the Ulster Ravens in the B&I Cup at Ayr.

http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/sport/othe ... -1-5736689
A bit scary that, if we had played and unregistered player the ramifications could have been disastrous. I hope that it was discovered by a routine check rather than by fluke.

Anyway suppose it's a non-story at this stage.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Henry is still quite a bit off. He defo won't be involved
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

pip14 wrote:Henry is still quite a bit off. He defo won't be involved
That's it sorted, Henry starts
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Russ wrote:
pip14 wrote:Henry is still quite a bit off. He defo won't be involved
That's it sorted, Henry starts
Pip's right on this one, horse's mouth confirmed defo not back this week and is doubtful for Zebre although would like some game time against the Italians to be in with a shout of playing mexico