Ruaidhri Murphy signs for Ulster

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Ruaidhri Murphy signs for Ulster

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Ruai ... K3Jvzl.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster announced today that they have signed UC Brumbies’ loosehead prop Ruaidhri Murphy on a two-year deal starting at the beginning of next season.

The 26-year old Dublin-born prop will join up with Ulster in August after the Super Rugby season has finished and will compete with Callum Black for the starting position at loosehead.

Murphy has represented Ireland at under-19 and under-20 level, and was part of the Grand Slam winning under-20s squad in 2007.

Murphy started his career in the Leinster Academy before joining the Exeter Chiefs in England for two years. In 2012 he joined the Brumbies and has gone on to make twenty appearances for the Canberra-based side.

Murphy claimed that his desire to come back to Ireland influenced his decision to join Ulster.

“When I was deciding my future it came down to joining Ulster or staying with the Brumbies,” Murphy stated. “The Brumbies are a fantastic franchise and Canberra is a brilliant place to live, but I am Irish, I have an Irish family and I have always had the urge to return to Ireland one day and to play my rugby back home.

“Ulster are a quality team. They are currently one of the leading sides in Europe and their fans are famous around the world. It is an exciting time to be joining the province with the new stadium and the new training facilities that have been built at Ravenhill.

“I spoke to David Humphreys about the vision that he has for Ulster – he has huge ambition and big aims for the team. That is exciting and I hope that I can play a big part in bringing those aims to reality.”

Director of Rugby David Humphreys said he was delighted that Murphy had agreed to sign for the province.

“Ruaidhri is a highly talented young Irish prop whose experience of Super Rugby will bring an extra dimension to our front row next season,” Humphreys enthused.

“I am delighted that he is joining us and I have no doubt that he will be a huge success at Ravenhill in the coming years.”[/tag]