Positives and negatives: Ulster V Sarries

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Positives and negatives: Ulster V Sarries

Post by againstthehead »

Soooo gutted i can hardly be bothered but it's easy to write these posts when we win so i guess i gotta do it when we lose... A bit drunk too so excuse the typos....

Positives
- what word to you use to describe it? Guts? Bravery? Heroic? I've never seen anything like it. To be honest I was ready to walk out after 4 minutes or whenever the red card came. I honestly was. I thought we were done for - 20-30 points easily. I've never seen balls like it. incredible effort from the guys. I really can't put it into words. In the end, it means largely fek all as we lost but in saying that I am immensely proud of my province.
- set-piece. Holy crap, we had 7 man scrums on occasion and took them on. And then on came Herring and threw his darts. epic effort from the pack.
- beagle came on and gave everything. Did well i thought.
- Jacko kicked his goals pretty well. Okay, hit the post but bagged the others. well done lad.
- did I mention guts, balls, intensity, heroics?

negatives
- only one place to start but there's no point giving my opinion as I am an Ulster fan. When I saw it live I thought we were in trouble. When I watched replay after replay on the big screen I thought yellow, then I thought was it a pen? deep down I think I knew a red was a possibility but I genuinely think it was very harsh. Jared definitely needed to be jumping for the ball but a red was very very tough IMHO.
- inujuries, baaaaaaaa best, ruan and trimble. How the heck did we not get stuffed. Unbelievable effort.
- could we have sneaked it at the end? Amazing to go through the phases but I thought we lacked real go-forward. we never looked like threatening drop-goal range but that's being harsh on my part. We did well.
- the overriding negative is that Sarries were there for the taking. They never turned up. Farrell was pants. Sure, they would have played better against 15 men but we should have won that game.

overall, Just devastated, robbed, gutted, overwhelmed.... If we had got beaten with 15 men I could have taken it but that was just taken away from us. Sport is bloody harsh.
Last edited by againstthehead on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Positives and negatives: Ulster V Sarries

Post by breakdown »

Positives: Afoa was class

Negatives: pienaar injury
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Positives: Ulster, the crowd
Negatives: Garces, Ashton, Farrell, Vunipola and Saracens
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Positive: pride

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Positives: Ulster

Negatives: Saracens
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Negative: the team for next week is gonna look like an episode of the Walking Dead

Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

Positives :
Is that the best the AP have ? Down to 14 men and they still struggled past us. The Pro 12 is alive and well.

Crowd was phenomenal, I'm a session ticket holder on the memorial end, which can be quiet, but any time one of the two Scaracens fans chanted, the faithful responded.

Great effort from the team, PJ did well, as did small Paul coming on. Fez got through another game.

Negatives:
A ref who felt he had a point to prove, missed so much later on (pretty sure you can't scrum on your knees)

We had to witness the ash splash - some day a fan will hop the barrier and smack him.

Can't think if a single negative aspect of Ulsters game, considering
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

Just to add to the positives. Well done to the lads singing stand up for the ulster men as Will greenwood tried to interview 3 scarcens players post match. Keep up the good work lads
fergal
Novice

Post by fergal »

Major positive was that was probably the most pressure Jackson has been under goal kicking and he nailed those two kicks. Minor negative was the kick to touch from the last penalty, I thought we really needed that kick closer to the corner to work it into drop goal position. As it was we went through nearly 30 phases hoping to get a penalty. Probably harsh after the commitment of the previous 75 minutes but we really needed to be more proactive to win it at the death.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

fergal wrote:Major positive was that was probably the most pressure Jackson has been under goal kicking and he nailed those two kicks. Minor negative was the kick to touch from the last penalty, I thought we really needed that kick closer to the corner to work it into drop goal position. As it was we went through nearly 30 phases hoping to get a penalty. Probably harsh after the commitment of the previous 75 minutes but we really needed to be more proactive to win it at the death.
+1 one lad. Fair point albeit we are probably being harsh.

Baaaa, had a crap night's sleep after that one. Feel even more gutted today.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Would start a new post to show support for Jarard Payne against a bad referring decision if I knew how to do it!!!!!!!!!!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Overall not a great day, just don't get how the ref could justify a red. The stadium is fantastic but as I said before the stewarding is way over the top and making what used to be a simple enjoyable day out now difficult. I still don't get why you would go to a game and know feck all about rugby, but insist on talking shît throughout the game, I did learn however that Afoa was a British Lion :banghead: and that apparently you can get a good painter and decorator for £80 a day, (not including paint )

Brave effort by Ulster, but totally disgusted by the red. Has Anscombe give an interview?

I thought the 2500 saracens fans were well behaved and you would not have known they were there.

So what next, top four finish in the Rabo?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Deraless wrote:Negative: the team for next week is gonna look like an episode of the Walking Dead

this is very true. Payne might be up for it though, if he's not cited.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Positive: I thought I would feel better this morning.

Negative: I still don't feel any better this morning.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Bars ran out of £3.80 pints so they sold bottles at £4.00 also bars seriously understaffed for the number of punters

Ref decisions were unreal at times, more dangerous play from Sarries than Ulster yet they didn't even look like getting a card.

Unreal display from 14 Ulstermen from the crap PRO12 against 15 from the top PRL side with assistance of French officials
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best