The Incident

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

You are the ref:

Straight red.
10%
Yellow.
64%
Pen only.
12%
Scrum to Ulster for the knock on.
14%

Total votes: 100

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

The Incident

Post by big mervyn »

What would you have done?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: The Incident

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Had the situation been reversed and it was a sarries player on an Ulster player, I have no doubt I would have been calling for yellow, even if I thought it was accidental.

To be consistent, I would therefore have to say I would have awarded a penalty and shown yellow.

I would not have expected red if the situation was reversed and would not have complained if only a penalty had been given in the reverse situation. Therefore red was harsh against Jared.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

Voted yellow because, for me, the damage in the incident was caused by Payne slipping. He has his eyes on the ball throughout and as he tries to slow himself down at the last minute his left foot giving away carries all his momentum into Goode.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

richardt84 wrote:Voted yellow because, for me, the damage in the incident was caused by Payne slipping. He has his eyes on the ball throughout and as he tries to slow himself down at the last minute his left foot giving away carries all his momentum into Goode.
Yep. I don't think the slip was given enough consideration. His foot went completely from under him.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Very level headed and honest replies. While a case can be argued a yellow was just.

However if taking out in the air is a red. Robbie being hit in the line out should have been a card.

No one wants to see an injury to anyone but as of yet you don't get sent off for a big tackle or hurting some one in a clear out at ruck (legally) then the resultant injury should have no bearing on the incident.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I thought the red was harsh, but then I didn't know the law.
Now, I'd go red, then yellow.
So yellow.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

I said last night I thought it was the right decision. As is the popular proposal, to think if it was the other way round, and the ref had given Goode a yellow card, I would have been furious that the ref had bottled it only because it was early in the game.

It's dangerous. And it is right to say the action should be judged rather than the outcome, but the outcome can be useful to determine how dangerous the action was. Payne hit him so hard he flipped round and his head bounced off the ground he did not care enough for Goode's welfare. I'm all for "up and at 'em", "get stuck into them" rugby, but not at the cost of the safety of the opponent.
KevDP4L
Novice

Post by KevDP4L »

Definitely not a red. Could see justification for any of the other 3 options though, so I went in between and said penalty because it was a bit clumsy. You see similar incidents given as knock ons all the time in Super Rugby though.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Latching is illegal and extremely dangerous. Clearing out at rucks could cause as much damage. Ffs bringing a scrum down has paralysed players - when was the last red card you saw for hinging a scrum.

I'm all for players safety but Im also for it all over the pitch!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

KevDP4L wrote:Definitely not a red. Could see justification for any of the other 3 options though, so I went in between and said penalty because it was a bit clumsy. You see similar incidents given as knock ons all the time in Super Rugby though.
THIS ONEwas restarted with a scrum
I'm not arguing -
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Feck - I hope that is shown at Paynes hearing. Inconsistency kills matches!
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

OneMore wrote: It's dangerous. And it is right to say the action should be judged rather than the outcome, but the outcome can be useful to determine how dangerous the action was. Payne hit him so hard he flipped round and his head bounced off the ground he did not care enough for Goode's welfare. I'm all for "up and at 'em", "get stuck into them" rugby, but not at the cost of the safety of the opponent.
The outcome shouldn't come in to the argument and Garces clearly took consideration of it when he justified the red to Muller and Payne by saying the player landed on his head.

Taking it to the extreme, say Payne had thundered in, clattered Goode with his arm in a sort of clothesline to the leg, rather than hitting him with his face, hit him so had the Goode went full 360 and landed on his feet (I'd say he'd probably fall over a bit since he's not an Olympic gymnast, but landed with little impact pretty much upright), is the OK? No it's a red card for sure. End result means sweet FA, it's the act that matter. Leinster match today Dave Kearny and Armitage competing in the air, if one fell and god forbid broke his neck you couldn't penalise either of them because there was nothing wrong with the act that caused the injury.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Honestly if Payne had have jumped - I doubt anything would have happened. Feet on the ground killed him!!!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cornerfleg wrote:Honestly if Payne had have jumped - I doubt anything would have happened. Feet on the ground killed him!!!
It's hard to jump when you've just slipped.
I'm not arguing -
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I know I'm just saying if he had have been in the air it would have been totally different