what leader are you?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I know this is a bit off topic but I got this off one of those obscure arty farty sites about Northern Ireland:
Belfast urban myths will be printed on cappuccino cups and bags of pigeon feed, in English, Italian, Japanese, French and Irish, to be disseminated by Venetians drinking coffee and tourists feeding pigeons.

'There was a Belfast character that used to walk the city streets with a toothless lion on a lead. His names was Buck Alec from Tigers Bay: C'era un personaggio a Beflast che aveva l'abitudine de passeggiare per le strade della citta' con un leone senza denti al guinzaglio. Si chiamava Buck Alec dalla baia delle Tigri.'
Here is more
Buck Alec. Kept a tiger in hsi yard up North Queen Street
He even got a mention in parliament.
Dangerous Wild Animals Act
3. Rev. Martin Smyth: If she will extend the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 to Northern Ireland. [32129]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (Mr. Tony Worthington): Yes. The Government propose to introduce legislation equivalent to the 1976 Act under the Order in Council process.

Rev. Martin Smyth: I welcome that answer, but will legislation be introduced very soon? Although some of us believed that the days of Buck Alec's wee lion were over, we discover now that--in Seskinore and in other parts of Northern Ireland
Rumour has it he worked in America for on of the majoy mob families. I once spoke to a guy who lived close to him and Buck let him come in to see the Lion. I think from what I can gather this was quite a priviledge.

Colin :twisted:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

An interesting little piece Colin.

I am however a little critical of the omissions and perhaps inaccuracies.

Buck Alec (Aleck)
Real name - Alexander Davidson Robinson
The lions were toothless.
He later had a St Bernard dog which had to be kicked in the head to get it to go round street corners.
Certainly North Belfast. Bit unsure about Tiger's Bay (his older life anyway).
Also unsure about North Queen Street (but not far from Tiger's Bay or York Street)
Stomping ground as I recall was on York Street (as an older man - parallel to North Queen Street) between York Street Railway Station and Town.

Eye witness with a failing memory.
Mid-Terrace
Novice

Post by Mid-Terrace »

colinh wrote:Image

Oh dear ... this is very disturbing.

Despots'r'Us, eh Colin??

Still, a few Saddam-like bods around Ravers might help our plight against the hierarchy??
Mine's a pint!
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

munchkin wrote..........

Yay! Browner you're the same as me!

So the operation was a success then munchkin! :wink:
rugbymunchkin
Initiate
Location: Between South Belfast and Larne... About ballyclare!

Post by rugbymunchkin »

Not really... i'm going for a bit of a drag :king: kinda approach!
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

So Abe Lincoln was a cross dresser, munchkin............no wonder they shot him. :lol:
rugbymunchkin
Initiate
Location: Between South Belfast and Larne... About ballyclare!

Post by rugbymunchkin »

Noo for me to look like good oul abe, until i convince the stingey NHS i NEED the operation I will have to do a drag :king: thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Nay Cables I only cut and paste from the internet but any light or corrections you or anyone else might like to shed upon the matter will be highly illuminating and most welcome.

Eddie Izzard for Queen. Shows what a good comic he is. He did a series of shows in France in French very successfully.

LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

God in heaven guys - I only used Mister Buck Alec's name to indicate that I'm a twit as far as getting my image of the Saddam man on the screen. Now I find that I have started a whole new sub culture regarding lions and teeth and Tigers and Bays and Belfast and God knows what else.

Coilnh - do you have anything to do on a normal day to day basis ?????
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

:twisted: so it was you you started this off. You think this is bad, you dont have to live inside my head ... count yourself lucky!! I'm off to your neck of the woods the week after next for a few weeks. Did you manage to meet up with Mr BP?

LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

I spent 3 excellent days with him and his troop. We even ended up beside a family from Cork and you can just imagine the shenanigans we got up to. Needless to say - the local vinifiers were on overtime. I'll say no more incase I incur the written wrath of the said BP upon his return.

Never underestimate the man - he's a divil !!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink:
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???