Ulster v Exeter 22nd August

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bangorboy
Steward

Ulster v Exeter 22nd August

Post by bangorboy »

8 days out from first match of the new season - albeit a friendly.

Will Van the Man and Ludick be thrown straight in? Will we see an academy dominated team?

Who actually IS our first choice front row now?

Discuss :-)
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
Dan Dare
Squire

Re: Ulster v Exeter 22nd August

Post by Dan Dare »

Yes to Van the man and Ludick playing. Exeter are a top team and will need some serious players to beat them. Would be very surprised if the team was academy dominated, can't see that happening.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'd say Van might be in with a shout because he only just came back from injury and skipped pre - season. Dingo Dave possibly since he didn't need pre - season either but I suppose it depends on how fit JD reckons him to be. Dunno about Herbst, is he even here? We will be looking to test the likes of Hairy, Reidy and Butterworth if possible before the competitive stuff, so they are highly likely to feature. The irish lads who went to Argie I'd say most likely no. Anyone who stayed behind for a rest could be involved. Olding reportedly not available until October. Payne has been raring to go since June, I'd say he would definitely be in there. I suppose whichever of the academy lads have been impressing might reap the rewards too.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

NO Cave or Olding until October I suspect, so the man who ruined our season & Luke I suspect with Gilly & maybe Tommy, Lulu at 15 & p & iHumph at halves.

I'll leave the forwards if you don't mind, I'm on holiday & that requires too much thought. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Who cares if we lose this one? The point is to prepare for the season, winning comes second, if that means mixing in some academy players with the first-choice players to get a better idea of where they are at a greater risk of losing I really don't see the issue.

Big question is whether they're throwing in the guys from the two Ireland tours already. Wouldn't be surprised if no one from the senior tour played, which maybe gives chances to Kyle McCall, Charlie Butterworth and McCloskey.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I would expect it to be the usual preseason game squad of about 25 three changes 1/2 time with more on 50 minutes about 25 players need to be match ready before the Scarlets fit is not enough you need to have faced a foe
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Nightsoil wrote:Who cares if we lose this one? The point is to prepare for the season, winning comes second, if that means mixing in some academy players with the first-choice players to get a better idea of where they are at a greater risk of losing I really don't see the issue.

Big question is whether they're throwing in the guys from the two Ireland tours already. Wouldn't be surprised if no one from the senior tour played, which maybe gives chances to Kyle McCall, Charlie Butterworth and McCloskey.
The everyday fan will want a win, or they may think it will be a brad pitt season thay they dont want a part of

Easterby Out
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

I agree, any home game will require a victory. A strong team with just a few strong lads from the Academy who have been showing well. This is a first team game, even if it is pre season.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Will this be Exeters second pre season ? Normally English sides start earlier than us and have 3 pre season matches
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Well now we know Sean O'Hagan at O/H and Franco VdM and Ludik playing and no-one from the Argentina tour. Twenty five players almost picks itself. When will the team be announced? More importantly for us exiles will some kind soul be giving running commentary?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Sorry Rooster missed your question; yes, they played the Blues, 24-17 victory at the Cardiff Blues, Steenson kicked well and Whitten came off the bench.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Someone make sure Pip is updating twatter

Easterby Out
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Setanta wrote:Well now we know Sean O'Hagan at O/H and Franco VdM and Ludik playing and no-one from the Argentina tour. Twenty five players almost picks itself. When will the team be announced? More importantly for us exiles will some kind soul be giving running commentary?
Well perhaps not as simple to pick the team as you think as a wee birdy tells me that we won't even have heard of some of those playing, well if you have followed underage and some of McGlocks trainees then you might.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

A blind stab at the team, borne out of sheer boredom:

Warwick-McCall-Lutton
Stevenson-vdM
Reidy-Joyce-Butterworth (6-8-7)

beagle
O'Hagan

Scholes-McCloskey-Payne-Bowe
Ludik

Numbers 16-23 are anyone's guess.

Reading Rooster's post on underage; sure feck it I'll stick this up anyway.
It's the hope that kills you.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Tuohy, Wilson and Allen possibly? Who knows.