Round 6 - Ra Weegies

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Round 6 - Ra Weegies

Post by BaggyTrousers »

So we get to the real first game of the season, no more selection lottery please, time to send out the big boys and get our Croziers in gear, not only to reel in one of the clear leaders but obviously with the soupa doupa selection in mind.

Will we see the selection most of us believe to be our best or will Josef Schmidt continue to blight our chances with the failed Jihad experiment. My money is on Josef to continue with his damaging experiment.

Should Darren Cave return to his rightful position at 13 where does that leave Jihad, the bench or the 15 shirt. I must say I have been impressed by Louis Ludic but having said I believe that Jihad is the best 15 in Ireland I can hardly suggest that he is not selected.

Louis is a fabulous bench option given what he covers.

Some will be feeling McCloskey & perhaps O'Connor are worthy of another look, not for me given the proximity of the Soupa & lets be honest, well as both have done, Zebre & Embra are a different examination paper than the next 3 weeks.

Mind you given the state of affairs with our 2nd row options I wouldn't be shocked if O'Connor got a run, always assuming he isn't ruled out of the soupa doupa, who knows on that score.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Round 6 - Ra Weegies

Post by rumncoke »

As stated elsewhere I like the mix of youth and experience in the second row with experience on the bench in the mode of Harrison and McCullough .

In the backs the question. Is do you start McCloskey/Cave with Olding and Ludic on the bench or Olding/Cave with Marshall and Ludic on the bench

Then there is the Gilroy v BOWE on the wing because in truth Tommy has looked anything but connected to the task and Gilroy seems to coming back to where he was 2 seasons ago a hungry speedy twister of a wing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Pack first - with the exception of second row I don't think too many would argue that the pack doesn't select itself - if O'Connor can play in the supa dupa then we may well see him start on Sat - I'd be fine with that.

Backs - as Baggy says Payne to 15 - re. McCloskey, for me he brings something we have been lacking to the party, namely a big centre who can break the line with good rugby skills to boot - would be happy to see him at 12 for the next 3 weeks if he continues to play well - Cave at 13, no question - his defence alone merits it.

In two minds about Bowe - has not looked great to date but still getting back up to speed - in the past he has shown he can deliver in the big games and could well do so again.

So backline

Small P
Jackson
Bowe
McCloskey
Cave
Trimble
Payne

Bench -
Heany
Olding
Ludik

:red:
Finished
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

I really don't undertand the frenzy about McCloskey. A very good performance on Friday night against a shockingly poor Embra team and a decent performance last week against the Zebras in which even I may have stood out amidst the remaining purple shirted dross. Yes, he seems a decent 12 and a big strong lad to boot, but to consider starting him for the next 3 potential season defining games is crazy. We have Olding who, IMO, is in a different class. He's just back from missing last season, needs game time and appears not to have lost his pace, his step and his eye for a gap. It's a no-brainer. Or maybe that's where the problem lies....
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
BigHairyMonster
Initiate

Post by BigHairyMonster »

We will need to defend the fringes of the ruck much more effectively that in all the games to date. Glasgow will mix it up, pick and go and Matawalu will go through the slightest gap between the pillar and the ruck. Think beagle with a brain and skill. The backrower Strauss has been outstanding so far this year. They will be hugely physical.
This has the makings of a great game if we put out our best XV. Glasgow have real strength in depth and whatever team they send over will be a handful. I also think they believe they are our bogey team and that we hate playing them.
Geal'us Dearg a suas - Up the White and Red
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I dont think whoever we pick to partner VDM in the second row would be described as game changers so either OConner or Stevenson would not overly worry me.
Feel the same way about McCloskey or Olding- Gilroy or Bowe as these arent the real areas that the game will be won or lost.
There is sufficent parity in those selections at the minute not to be too overly concerned but I do have my preferances.

What I do know will be vital is that we need Williams on the pitch for as long as possible in the absence of any other ball carriers to get us on the front foot and attract defenders.
Also I have seen the Glasgow front row put on the pressure this season and fold.
This is one area where we have been strongest and where we can get at them to get them on the back foot.
Therefore the selection MUST for me include Herbst, Best and Warwick who have been our best scrummaging combination by a mile so far this season.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Unless AOC can't play the Not The Heineken Cup, I would start him. I'd probably still have him on the bench even if he couldn't. But then I am not impressed by the recent standard set by Stevenson and McComb. Stevenson can do better though, so not too fussed if it's him.

I'll take the in form Ludik over the out of form Payne, I think people have been a wee bit harsh on Bowe's last performance (not saying it was great) and would take him over Gilroy... and Uncle Joe needs to keep his experiments to the lesser games. Glasgow is not the time for experiments. If Cave is riding pine, day dreaming about ROG avec le gros suitcase full of money, I will not be impressed... should have swapped Payne for McGrath while the going was good!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Problem with Payne is we haven't seen his form at 15. He should definitely be starting there against the Weegies to give him a run before the Sooper Dooper. Laughed at his over elaborate "leave" when an Embra boy jumped for a high ball on Fri. Did everything short of holding his hands up and walking backwards.

Wouldn't have a problem with Lulu at either position on current form.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
MARB
Novice

Post by MARB »

Without doubt the toughest test of the season so far, Glasgae boast a great defence coupled with impact danger men such as Matawalu and Nakarawra who can be as unpredictable as a Grapefruit's squirt. Mind you in saying that their defence have leaked quite a few tries so far this year. Time then for our backline to finally start punching holes and making breaks, god knows we have the players to do it so let's make it finally happen! Strongest team
for this one please.

Black
Best
Herbst

VDM
Stevenson

Diack
Henry
Wilson

Brainfart
Paddy

Olding
Cave

Bowe (on big game experience)
Angry

Windae

The options of Gilroy, Rotund Nick, LuLu and Big Licence coming on around the 50-60 minute mark sounds very appealing.
"I would never bow to the knees of an opponent. I was never prepared to give second best to him and I'm sure that is the trait of a true Ulsterman."

Willie John McBride
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

Weegies are the best team by a distance this season ...simple fast rugby like Leinster about two years ago under Schmidt....they are beatable but we need to be accurate and focussed...really looking forward to it...Ulster by 3pts :red:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:As stated elsewhere I like the mix of youth and experience in the second row with experience on the bench in the mode of Harrison and McCullough .

In the backs the question. Is do you start McCloskey/Cave with Olding and Ludic on the bench or Olding/Cave with Marshall and Ludic on the bench

Then there is the Gilroy v BOWE on the wing because in truth Tommy has looked anything but connected to the task and Gilroy seems to coming back to where he was 2 seasons ago a hungry speedy twister of a wing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Rum'n, it's fair to say that Tommy has yet to get into his stride however you mention Gilroy as "seems to coming back to where he was 2 seasons ago a hungry speedy twister of a wing".

Evidence please Rum'n, the last time I saw him he was a less than brave full back against Zebre and was just as poor as every other man dragged down by the colour purple. What have you see Rum'n, for you are on thin ice with that statement as far as I am concerned.

Furthermore only a fool would dispense with a natural finisher like Tommy, he has missed much of the last 18 months, he will come good, that is bankable.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Black
Best
Fitzpatrick
VDM
Stevenson
Diack
Henry
Wilson

P marshal
Jackson
Bowe
L marshal
Cave
Trimble
Payne

Herring
Warwick
Herbst
Mccomb
Williams
Heaney
Olding
Ludik
Why? Why not?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Ithryn wrote:Black
Best
Fitzpatrick
VDM
Stevenson
Diack
Henry
Wilson

P marshal
Jackson
Bowe
L marshal
Cave
Trimble
Payne

Herring
Warwick
Herbst
Mccomb
Williams
Heaney
Olding
Ludik
Nice one Ithers you nearly had me going then. >EW
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Got to agree with Baggy a hundred times over, I couldn't contemplate anyone thinking that Gilroy would be the better choice, obviously not on past experience, and theres nothing Gilroy has done more recently to suggest that he is even vaguely equivalent. His form may be better than that of last year, but its not at Tommys level.

Agree with basically everyone outside of Ulster/Ireland management that Cave is by far and away our best 13 option. Seriously have to start wondering whether or not it is simply a done deal that he is leaving at the end of the summer, and therefore we are being forced into using the other options so much. If that is the case then big games he still starts, at least until someone can put there hand up and show they are getting close to as good. It will take Payne more than this season to do it (he may get there in the end, but we are losing out in the meantime).

And then when I think about 15, well watch Payne at 15 on friday he has definitely dropped a bit of sharpness, and in my opinion, Ludik is now definitely outperforming him so should start. To be honest though either of them gives us an incredible back three.

12 is a massive headache. Personally I would start McCloskey, purely on the basis of wanting to see what happens when he is put into a big game situation, and this is the 'least big' of the big games coming up. He has shown enough to make me believe that he shouldn't be waiting for an injury.

9 is without options

10 is obvious, although I believe we must have IHumph on the bench for the tougher games, and not rely on Olding as our 10 cover, PJ is looking a little injury prone, or at least niggle prone, and I wouldn't want Olding playing at 10 for 70 minutes against Toulon or similar.

8 I would go with big Nick from the outset, need his carrying ability, and these sorts of games can be over by half time, not much point in having him held back to bring on when we are 20 points down. 6 and 7 pick themselves obviously.

As said above if AOC can play in the Heini then he should play on saturday, at least as good as Stevenson, and should be a player still on a fairly steep improvement stage of career.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Too many here wetting themselves over the prospect of AOC. Impressive debut against dreadful opposition. Earned a place on the bench for Saturday, no more.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.