World Mental Health Day

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

World Mental Health Day

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I've heard a few discussions on the subject today. Seems to me that one of the biggest problems is that people are afraid to talk about it.

With that in mind I would like to inform the world at large that I have had Mental Health Issues for many years, am very very familiar with the black dog & very seriously contemplated suicide around 15 years ago. What a fecking loss that would have been. :lol:

I know I am far from alone on this forum, however it's not for me to out anyone. I'll simply say that I have never endured any physical pain that come close, I am not ashamed of any part of my experience and if you don't have experience yourself you will know someone who does - whether you have recognised it in them or not.

Right I'm off to pull myself together. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Re: World Mental Health Day

Post by OneMore »

Good post Baggy. It's good to talk.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I've heard a few discussions on the subject today. Seems to me that one of the biggest problems is that people are afraid to talk about it.

With that in mind I would like to inform the world at large that I have had Mental Health Issues for many years, am very very familiar with the black dog & very seriously contemplated suicide around 15 years ago. What a fecking loss that would have been. :lol:

I know I am far from alone on this forum, however it's not for me to out anyone. I'll simply say that I have never endured any physical pain that come close, I am not ashamed of any part of my experience and if you don't have experience yourself you will know someone who does - whether you have recognised it in them or not.

Right I'm off to pull myself together. :roll:
There is no physical pain than can compare with mental anguish. Sadly until you have visited that place, it's impossible to understand.
"Can you not just give yourself a shake and cheer up?" That's the other question you shouldn't ask. The polite answer to it is: "exactly how much shaking is required to correct a chemical imbalance in the brain?" other answers are available.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'll order a crate of Tighten Up Syrup!

FFS - get over it - he's not a terrible outside centre, just not as good as he is at fullback!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

I'm not depressed. I read the news online today but this is the first I've heard of it being 'World Mental health Day'.
In general I believe that mentally unwell people don't follow the news.
So I'd say that it's probably passing most of them by.
Even if there's a government somewhere today spouting platitudes and having a photo shoot.
I know I'm overly cynical as a rule but I think that all these days are a load of b0ll0x.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

pythagoras wrote:I'm not depressed. I read the news online today but this is the first I've heard of it being 'World Mental health Day'.
Even if there's a government somewhere today spouting platitudes and having a photo shoot.
I know I'm overly cynical as a rule but I think that all these days are a load of b0ll0x.
Except Xmas - it's a good one!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Great post Baggy! You have my complete respect for sharing this. Depression is nearly the biggest cause of disability worldwide and with suicide being the biggest threat to our young people's lives on the island of Ireland, I feel that we should be throwing the kitchen sink at this issue. Unfortunately with services under resourced and inadequate access to the best evidenced psychological therapies, we will continue to struggle and being mindful of the depth of further devastating cuts to come, things may get worse for people in need of dire help.

It is good to talk but culturally it is often very difficult to do just that. Especially for our young men, who are all too tragically most at risk.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pythagoras wrote:I'm not depressed. I read the news online today but this is the first I've heard of it being 'World Mental health Day'.
In general I'd say you have no idea of hat you are taking about. In the words of your own dear Ronan Keating, "You say it best when you say sweet feck all". >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
In general I'd say you have no idea of hat you are taking about. In the words of your own dear Ronan Keating, "You say it best when you say sweet feck all". >EW
Are you sure you're on an even keel at the moment BT? Wouldn't want to upset you now. :lol:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Nice one Baggy. I think the public are starting to slowly realise the impact of mental health on us as individuals and as a society. There is no doubt that in the last few years we have been managing to get the news out that people are suffering badly and that we need to do all we possibly can as a people together to support all who are vulnerable. Obviously we can see that some folk are not impressed with the drive to increase awareness by having days, and weeks, assigned in the calendar for such initiatives but shur such opinion can apparently be explained away by refeering to it as cynicism....... Overall I don't think we are seeing yet the positive impact in terms of numbers taking that ultimate step dropping, although as states have been lying on this data for years it is not possible to nail that down with complete certainty.

Unforunately over the last year I have seen 2 people who I know well take that step and know of 2 others in the wider circle. Of the 2 I knew personally I only knew that 1 of them was suffering but you just don't always know how close someone really is to that edge from which there is no comeback. That edge is actually wider than many would imagine because while many have climbed onto it, the majority will ultimately somehow manage to just about get back on the brighter side with a lot of help and support and in some cases through personal battling. In the last case the likelihood of a second "self-saving" is pretty low as I have seen over the years. That being said living on or near that edge for any period of time is beyond the comprehension of most who will never experience it and watching someone else going through it while you try to do all you can is scary and full of feelings of helplessness.

The state really does need to get on board here though because resources are required to try to turn the corner and really tackle this area.

There have been some events and activities this week across Ireland to try to help as much as possible which is very encouraging.

http://www.mentalhealthireland.ie/
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

pythagoras wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Are you sure you're on an even keel at the moment BT? Wouldn't want to upset you now. :lol:
Pythagoras, I think you should stop while you are behind there fella. There is no mentally unwell/mentally well divide, there are just people and we are vulnerable to mental illness and poor mental health.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Dave wrote:
pythagoras wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Pythagoras, I think you should stop while you are behind there fella. There is no mentally unwell/mentally well divide, there are just people and we are vulnerable to mental illness and poor mental health.
Never knew you you were a doc, Dave.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

pythagoras wrote:
Dave wrote:
pythagoras wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Never knew you you were a doc, Dave.
You don't have to be to have an opinion. Don't worry though, I've heard a lot worse from professionals in the field.
Pablo
Novice

Post by Pablo »

Get well soon !
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Mental instability takes many forms and most people may experience it once or twice in their life time . The unfortunate thing is the triggers which start an episode vary from person to person as do the effects .

At one time I suffered from stress for me it's effect was like walking off a table blindfolded -- several times a day . You kept going down and down never knowing the were or when the feeling might cease .

Not quite like the same as the despair of depression imposed by BT postings at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist