Moderators?

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Moderators?

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
shamalicious wrote:The forum is a poorer place without Baggy.
I suspect he may be back, he loves this board. His insight and florid posting will be missed. At the same time posters do have the right to be wrong or even downright stupid without being brutally ridiculed to the point where they leave the UAFC.

There are some who take the; "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" line, but who decrees that a supporters site should be so a vicious?

If you wouldn't say it to a person's face, don't post it when hiding behind an alter ego.
Admittedly I probably haven't read everything but I can't recall any real vicious comments. I assume it goes beyond calling someone a choob or offering out clown shoes. I personally feel that the online Internet forum is so very different to a face to face encounter, that you cannot realistically have the same expectations from both interactions. As I've said we are all basically a made up name with an opinion. You have to expect that people will behave quite differently in this scenario. If you can accept this and are mindfully aware of the social constructs at play then hopefully any antisocial behaviour on the forum will have a minimal affect on everyone's individual wellbeing. I suppose we all have a different threshold for what we find acceptable, but I feel that if we apply the rule that what we write on here is something we would also say in person, then this forum will become pretty sterile IMHO.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Saw Pip.

Standard
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
shamalicious wrote:The forum is a poorer place without Baggy.
I suspect he may be back, he loves this board. His insight and florid posting will be missed. At the same time posters do have the right to be wrong or even downright stupid without being brutally ridiculed to the point where they leave the UAFC.

There are some who take the; "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" line, but who decrees that a supporters site should be so a vicious?

If you wouldn't say it to a person's face, don't post it when hiding behind an alter ego.
Admittedly I probably haven't read everything but I can't recall any real vicious comments. I assume it goes beyond calling someone a choob or offering out clown shoes. I personally feel that the online Internet forum is so very different to a face to face encounter, that you cannot realistically have the same expectations from both interactions. As I've said we are all basically a made up name with an opinion. You have to expect that people will behave quite differently in this scenario. If you can accept this and are mindfully aware of the social constructs at play then hopefully any antisocial behaviour on the forum will have a minimal affect on everyone's individual wellbeing. I suppose we all have a different threshold for what we find acceptable, but I feel that if we apply the rule that what we write on here is something we would also say in person, then this forum will become pretty sterile IMHO.
I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say that we all have different thresholds. Personally, I found the issuing of clown shoes to be Baggy's finest tradition.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Met legs.

Legend
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Old Dawkins may divide opinions in these parts, but here, he shows the best way to deal with a bit of online slegging:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuowNcuGsc
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

shamalicious wrote:Surely it's just one rule: don't be a dick.
This is exactly right. It's as simple as that really..

Kofi, thanks for the concern, no I haven't left - moved house, decorated, and started a new job, that's all..

Fermain, good response, and all fair enough, and I'm glad to hear that you have some people in the legal profession to turn to as and when. I think a lot of messageboard owners are blissfully unaware of the very real risks that they could potentially run. I'll defer to your experience of the poster who kicked this all off - I am admittedly a recent arrival, and in 'real' life he may be as sound as a pound, but in my experience on here I thought he was a terrible poster - bullying, hectoring, insulting. I've only been taking a look on here in the last couple of weeks, and, no harm to the guy, I thought the level of discourse was considerably higher than before, with actual discussion (!) about rugby (!!) between guys who knew what they were talking about (!!!) and who didn't result to childish insults if they disagreed (!!!!)

PS FFS I'm not Snipe Watson, for the last time I'm just a lowly lieutenant in LAPD Homicide
..one more thing
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Columbo wrote:

Kofi, thanks for the concern, no I haven't left - moved house, decorated, and started a new job, that's all..

Fermain, good response, and all fair enough, and I'm glad to hear that you have some people in the legal profession to turn to as and when. I think a lot of messageboard owners are blissfully unaware of the very real risks that they could potentially run. I'll defer to your experience of the poster who kicked this all off - I am admittedly a recent arrival, and in 'real' life he may be as sound as a pound, but in my experience on here I thought he was a terrible poster - bullying, hectoring, insulting. I've only been taking a look on here in the last couple of weeks, and, no harm to the guy, I thought the level of discourse was considerably higher than before, with actual discussion (!) about rugby (!!) between guys who knew what they were talking about (!!!) and who didn't result to childish insults if they disagreed (!!!!)

PS FFS I'm not Snipe Watson, for the last time I'm just a lowly lieutenant in LAPD Homicide
I like you. Fancy meeting up tonight for some fun times?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:

You've got no fans....
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dave wrote:You've got no fans....
er http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/columbo
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:
Dave wrote:You've got no fans....
er http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/columbo
Well feck me.....
Ampersand
Novice

Post by Ampersand »

Columbo wrote: I'm just a lowly lieutenant in LAPD Homicide
Don't believe ya! :evil:
&
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Well if this doesn't bring Baggy out of his self imposed exile, I guess nothing will.
Ampersand
Novice

Post by Ampersand »

Wee Woman wrote:Well if this doesn't bring Baggy out of his self imposed exile, I guess nothing will.
Me thinks you guess right .... me thinks nothing will
&
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Ah glad your not dead or caught ebola, however I would be a lot happier if you stepped into an Internet abyss never to return.

Russ if you wish to pick up Internet trash try Craigslist,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:

In all seriousness Columbo, how can anyone do any of those things when they don't even know who you are? You could be my mother for all I know! You are anonymous, hiding behind an avatar and in your case, even a fictional character. What is written about said online is about an online persona and isn't therefore about you. Don't let it emotionally transfer on to you. Crying about being bullied in this way does a disservice to those you have been in 'real life' as you put it. Anyway I know longer give a feck. What happened with Baggy was his own choosing, between him and Fermain/the other mods, and feck all to do with you.

Happy new year.