Moderators?

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Castlereagh
Novice

Re: Moderators?

Post by Castlereagh »

Columbo wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Man up Columbo!
We`ve all had our spats on here but when it comes to it its just internet pantomime.
Bagster hasnt replied yet so maybe he has been banned again?!
Way too quiet.
It's not a question about manning up, though. I think there are two issues here.

Firstly, having a poster or posters who literally just troll and insult their way around a messageboard necessarily has an impact on the nature of the messageboard. It affects the tenor of debate on the board for starters - my guess is that the board owners here want this to be a family-friendly zone, I'm not sure this is compatible when some posters are suggesting to others that they kill themselves, and circumventing the cussword filters etc. It will also drive some people away (which I understand has been the case here..) and prevents lurkers from joining - IMO messageboards are at their best when a maximum of posters get involved, and at their worst when they are captured by an obnoxious clique.

Secondly, and probably more importantly for the owners of the board - there are potential legal implications. I personally am not going to run and cry to a solicitor, but I had to help a friend out with a certain situation regarding the moderation of a messageboard, and have a reasonable passing knowledge of some of the issues at play. I'm sure the moderators here are up to speed, but some types of messageboard postings are potentially unlawful - defamation is probably the biggest risk on messageboards, but posts can also qualify as harrassment (Protection from Harrassment Act 1997) or malicious communications (Malicious Communications Act 1988 / Communications Act 2003).

The risk that messageboard owners/moderators run depends on how the site operates - this site would be classed as an unmoderated site, but that mechanisms exist to report offensive material and these reports are acted on promptly - which is all good. If I were a moderator here (or anywhere..) I would take this very seriously - I'm obviously not going to do anything, but such is life, if offensive posters are given free reign, it's just a matter of time. Generally speaking I think it's advisable to have clear policies - e.g. 'man not ball', an escalating ladder of sanctions for breaches, and permanent bans for repeat offenders (e.g. three strikes and you're out), and these should be consistently enforced.

I think a reasonable person can readily tell the difference between a, let's say, robust exchange - even including fruity language etc - and posts which are just gratuitously offensive - that only exist to insult or threaten. It's just the latter that are the problem.

The underlying problem is that while the vast majority of people realise that online life is just an extension of 'real' life, and social mores (and laws!) still apply, some others don't, and give themselves licence to act out in a way that they wouldn't do in the real world - the latter group shouldn't be in a position to spoil everyone else's experience, and certainly not potentially give rise to legal risks for the board owners/moderators.

Anyway I've reported the posts in question, (and will delete my own unseemly one!) that's the end of the matter, and I sincerely hope that BaggyTrousers can catch himself on, and lay off the obnoxious posts in future
have to agree with the detective on this one ,difference of opinion,bit of banter ,winding up and having a laugh is one thing but is a lot different to abuse ,threats,offensive names,(some of which I may also have been guilty of doing ),I really don't think accepting all of these insults etc is actually manning up,and as I have said (to Baggy)before on this site ,some of these "conversations "in a bar or in the real world (not behind a keyboard)could and would have resulted in some people having sore bake's,but hey hope that never happens ,let's roll on like one big Ulster rugby family, UAFC that's what the site is about, SUFTUM
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Castlereagh wrote:
Columbo wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Man up Columbo!
We`ve all had our spats on here but when it comes to it its just internet pantomime.
Bagster hasnt replied yet so maybe he has been banned again?!
Way too quiet.
It's not a question about manning up, though. I think there are two issues here.

Firstly, having a poster or posters who literally just troll and insult their way around a messageboard necessarily has an impact on the nature of the messageboard. It affects the tenor of debate on the board for starters - my guess is that the board owners here want this to be a family-friendly zone, I'm not sure this is compatible when some posters are suggesting to others that they kill themselves, and circumventing the cussword filters etc. It will also drive some people away (which I understand has been the case here..) and prevents lurkers from joining - IMO messageboards are at their best when a maximum of posters get involved, and at their worst when they are captured by an obnoxious clique.

Secondly, and probably more importantly for the owners of the board - there are potential legal implications. I personally am not going to run and cry to a solicitor, but I had to help a friend out with a certain situation regarding the moderation of a messageboard, and have a reasonable passing knowledge of some of the issues at play. I'm sure the moderators here are up to speed, but some types of messageboard postings are potentially unlawful - defamation is probably the biggest risk on messageboards, but posts can also qualify as harrassment (Protection from Harrassment Act 1997) or malicious communications (Malicious Communications Act 1988 / Communications Act 2003).

The risk that messageboard owners/moderators run depends on how the site operates - this site would be classed as an unmoderated site, but that mechanisms exist to report offensive material and these reports are acted on promptly - which is all good. If I were a moderator here (or anywhere..) I would take this very seriously - I'm obviously not going to do anything, but such is life, if offensive posters are given free reign, it's just a matter of time. Generally speaking I think it's advisable to have clear policies - e.g. 'man not ball', an escalating ladder of sanctions for breaches, and permanent bans for repeat offenders (e.g. three strikes and you're out), and these should be consistently enforced.

I think a reasonable person can readily tell the difference between a, let's say, robust exchange - even including fruity language etc - and posts which are just gratuitously offensive - that only exist to insult or threaten. It's just the latter that are the problem.

The underlying problem is that while the vast majority of people realise that online life is just an extension of 'real' life, and social mores (and laws!) still apply, some others don't, and give themselves licence to act out in a way that they wouldn't do in the real world - the latter group shouldn't be in a position to spoil everyone else's experience, and certainly not potentially give rise to legal risks for the board owners/moderators.

Anyway I've reported the posts in question, (and will delete my own unseemly one!) that's the end of the matter, and I sincerely hope that BaggyTrousers can catch himself on, and lay off the obnoxious posts in future
have to agree with the detective on this one ,difference of opinion,bit of banter ,winding up and having a laugh is one thing but is a lot different to abuse ,threats,offensive names,(some of which I may also have been guilty of doing ),I really don't think accepting all of these insults etc is actually manning up,and as I have said (to Baggy)before on this site ,some of these "conversations "in a bar or in the real world (not behind a keyboard)could and would have resulted in some people having sore bake's,but hey hope that never happens ,let's roll on like one big Ulster rugby family, UAFC that's what the site is about, SUFTUM
Nothing that anyone writes on here about your online persona should have much, if any, affect on your emotions or beliefs you hold about yourself. If anyone gets angry about what someone says on here than I would suggest that the anger issue is already inherent within the person, perhaps due to temperment or unresolved previous life experience. The same applies to someone who thinks it is a legitimate response to assault someone because of what has been said, in the context of what actually has been written on here. It also has to be said that, as you say, this is an online community whereas going up to someone in a bar is completely different context and yes it could well result in an assault. This, however, has no contextual relevance to an Internet forum nor does it make it a normal, expected or legitmate scenario.
Last edited by Dave on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
margin walker
Novice

Post by margin walker »

Kofi Annan wrote:Has Colombo gone, if so good riddance .
Columbo = Snipe Watson.
He'll be back as soon as he gets over the guilt over his silly, self righteous campaign.
Hopefully Baggy will too.
Castlereagh
Novice

Post by Castlereagh »

:fleg: Have to disagree Dave some of the insults ,threats ,name calling ,down right nastieness at times ,ref to people's parentage etc ,have been personal attacks and would result in the mildest of persons being upset ,angry,and as for underlying issues ,anger ,previous life experience ,I think none of us can give a judgement or an opinion on that ,but then if one is a fully competent head doc that opinion may have some relevance, at the heels of the hunt it happened ,has been happening, some people took offence ,were upset at what was said to them it needed addressed and I believe cannot be defended no matter who said it ,, let's respect each other and get on with it cheers
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Castlereagh wrote::fleg: Have to disagree Dave some of the insults ,threats ,name calling ,down right nastieness at times ,ref to people's parentage etc ,have been personal attacks and would result in the mildest of persons being upset ,angry,and as for underlying issues ,anger ,previous life experience ,I think none of us give a judgement or an opinion on that ,but then if one is a fully competent head doc that opinion may have some relevance, at the heels of the hunt it happened ,has been happening, some people took offence ,were upset at what was said to them it needed addressed and I believe cannot be defended no matter who said it ,, let's respect each other and get on with it cheers
Just to be clear I'm no doctor but it is my opinion. I can't tell you how to think or feel but I am of the opinion that an online and anonymous Internet forum isn't the same as a face to face encounter. No one can insult your parentage if they don't actually know who you are. We are all just a bunch made up names with opinions at the end of the day. Although moving on sounds good.
Castlereagh
Novice

Post by Castlereagh »

Cheers Dave
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

margin walker wrote:
Columbo = Snipe Watson.
You reckon?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
margin walker wrote:
Columbo = Snipe Watson.
You reckon?
Really?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
margin walker wrote:
Columbo = Snipe Watson.
You reckon?
Really?
Really not as You suspect. :lol: :lol:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
margin walker wrote:
Columbo = Snipe Watson.
You reckon?
Really?
Really not as You suspect. :lol: :lol:
Well thing is I wouldn't have suspected you of this type of skullduggery! You saying I should? Image Image
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

The forum is a poorer place without Baggy.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

shamalicious wrote:The forum is a poorer place without Baggy.
I'm hoping he regenerates and comes back!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

shamalicious wrote:The forum is a poorer place without Baggy.
I suspect he may be back, he loves this board. His insight and florid posting will be missed. At the same time posters do have the right to be wrong or even downright stupid without being brutally ridiculed to the point where they leave the UAFC.

There are some who take the; "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" line, but who decrees that a supporters site should be so a vicious?

If you wouldn't say it to a person's face, don't post it when hiding behind an alter ego.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Castlereagh wrote:
OneMore wrote:
BR wrote:...Baggy is pretty much above the law.
True that.
I really doubt that :roll:
OK . He has been intermittently above the law.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Castlereagh
Novice

Post by Castlereagh »

BR wrote:
Castlereagh wrote:
OneMore wrote:
BR wrote:...Baggy is pretty much above the law.
True that.
I really doubt that :roll:
OK . He has been intermittently above the law.
ok fair enough :red: