PRL want to employ referees

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

mea97mb
Squire

PRL want to employ referees

Post by mea97mb »

Our friend Nigel Wray says that the PRL should now employ referees so that the game is refereed the way that clubs want :banghead:
Premiership clubs should employ referees - Saracens chairman

Saracens chairman Nigel Wray believes Premiership referees should be employed by the competition's clubs, rather than the Rugby Football Union.
Officials for top-flight matches are appointed from the RFU's pool of 15 professional referees.
"The club game needs to employ its own referees," Wray told BBC Sport.
"Their decisions influence the game enormously. We need to tell them the sort of game we want played - which has to be attractive to the customer."
Wray says he is not questioning the quality of the RFU's referees but believes the same officials, employed by the Premiership's 12 clubs, would be able to help deliver a more appealing product.

He added spectators can be put off by complicated rules, particularly around the scrum.
"Rugby will only get bigger and grow if people understand what's happening," he said.
"If we confuse them, don't expect them to turn up.
"At the end of the day, we're in the entertainment business. We're trying to get the audience who have not yet come - if they don't have a clue about any of the decisions, how are we going to persuade them to watch?"
Premiership officials are appointed from the RFU's Professional Referee Unit, which is the highest level referees can reach after coming through the regional game.
"They can be the same referees, but we need to employ them," Wray said.
"During the week the referees could go into schools, teach, encourage other referees and become full pros."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30196682
Ampersand
Novice

Re: PRL want to employ referees

Post by Ampersand »

Maybe there's a few old wrestling referees out there who need a job? :roll:

No biting, scratching, gouging or punching ....... except when the game goes a bit dull and the spectators need wakened up, then we'll turn a blind eye .... oops, possibly the wrong term to use there.
&
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

It strikes me that the PRL need to feck off. If they want to be rugby clubs then they need to agree to follow the structure, laws and constraints of the IRB and the eRFU and accept that the degree to which they can influence those will be restricted because they are just one small part of an international game that is much bigger than they are. If they want to create their own exciting brand of Rugby-like entertainment they can feck-off with all their clubs and play amongst themselves and leave the rest of us to play Rugby.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Spot on as usual Paul.
They really are fighting a long war for total control of the game. They want to be like the NFL with everything in house.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

pwrmoore wrote:It strikes me that the PRL need to feck off. If they want to be rugby clubs then they need to agree to follow the structure, laws and constraints of the IRB and the eRFU and accept that the degree to which they can influence those will be restricted because they are just one small part of an international game that is much bigger than they are. If they want to create their own exciting brand of Rugby-like entertainment they can feck-off with all their clubs and play amongst themselves and leave the rest of us to play Rugby.
Next games will be scripted and fueds will take precedence
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Snipe Watson wrote:Spot on as usual Paul.
They really are fighting a long war for total control of the game. They want to be like the NFL with everything in house.
I have absolutely no problem with that though. If they want to be like the NFL and have an insular game with a limited number of "franchises", control everything themselves - make up their own laws, control the refs, the sale of TV rights etc. then they are very very welcome to do it. What I find abhorrent is their desire to feck everyone else over in the process.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Who do they want?

Clancy
Barnes
Doyle
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

One idiot at one club who is desperate is not the PRL, friggin' hell boys lighten up a bit.(Come back Baggy standards are slippin').
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

tigerburnie wrote:One idiot at one club who is desperate is not the PRL, friggin' hell boys lighten up a bit.(Come back Baggy standards are slippin').
That one idiot drove the other changes with his whining
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I thought it was a 'cartel' of PRL clubs.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

If the ball is released passed the 10 and not boshed up, penalty opposition
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

BR wrote:I thought it was a 'cartel' of PRL clubs.
Probably closest to the mark BR.

Wray is an absolute clown.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Wee Woman wrote:
BR wrote:I thought it was a 'cartel' of PRL clubs.
Probably closest to the mark BR.

Wray is an absolute clown.
Which one is wray again?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

pwrmoore wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Spot on as usual Paul.
I have absolutely no problem with that though. If they want to be like the NFL and have an insular game with a limited number of "franchises", control everything themselves - make up their own laws, control the refs, the sale of TV rights etc. then they are very very welcome to do it. What I find abhorrent is their desire to feck everyone else over in the process.
Unfortunately we need them playing rugby union. That's why I have a problem with them swanning off into the sunset and doing their own thing.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Genuine question. Who controls the game rules of American football? How much say does NFL have?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk