Rugby is a simple game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Rugby is a simple game

Post by Russ »

Recently I was reminded on the first 60 minutes Ireland played against New Zealand in 2001. A masterpiece in how to play rugby. Followed swiftly by 20 minutes from New Zealand that reaffirmed how to play rugby.

There are 2 elements to rugby.
1. Attack
2. Defence

If you get both of these right, you will win.
If you get one right and some of the other right, you will probably win.
If you get one wrong, you will lose.

So how do you get it right?

Let's start with defence.

You ensure you have more people, putting pressure on the opposition, behind the gain line, making all your tackles.
It's not rocket science.

A coach, and the players must identify a number of things

Which type of defence to use when, the blitz or the drift?
The blitz defence is higher risk, but higher reward. You meet the man behind the gain line, and stop him in his tracks.
The drift defence is an excellent tool when you have less players than the opposition, using the touchline as an extra defender.

Next the coach and players must identify how to stop the opposition's ball carriers. Is it the choke tackle? Is it the chop?
Then ensure that the players with these skills are in the right place at the right time.

Finally, the players need to have the skills and discipline to execute in defence. Effective communication to organise a defence, and ensuring that you have an effective, streetwise means to slow the opposition's ball.

Of course, there is often the element of surprise, the chip over the top, the late flick back in field as a player is falling into touch. The only way to deal with these is to have numbers. Numbers covering, numbers infield, not all running after the ball and numbers around the breakdown.

So defence is simple. Rugby is simple.

Attack

The Ireland game reminded me of the old mantra of rugby.
Run hard, run fast, run at their weak shoulder.

If you do this, you score tries.

Pass the ball in front of the man.
Double load defenders, remembering that a defence will usually have more men, so instead of going round, go through.

Clearly the ruck effectively is key to gaining quick ball, which will allow you to run at an un-organised defence. Getting technique right, and getting the feck out of the way of your scrum half is a must.
To do this, you need to support your ball carrier, like you are taught at mini level! To do this, you need to have an understanding of where that player is running too, which is made much simpler when they follow the "run hard, run fast, run at their weak shoulder" mantra.

So you've now won quick ball, give your 9 and 10 options!
Run hard, and run fast off of them. Remember to be a faster person running at a slower person!
Your 9 and 10 should have the skills to put the ball in front of you, catch it, and run! If someone is in a better position to you to do this, then pass the ball.
Why are people stopping/slowing down when they get the ball?
Run hard, run fast, and by doing this, your team mates will be there to support you.

So, rugby is simple!
Of course, you need a solid scrum, which comes from having the core skills needed to scrummage, and a decent line out, which also allows you to play the game in the opposition half, where it becomes easier to run hard and run fast at people!

So Ulster. What in the blue feck is wrong with you?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Rugby is a simple game

Post by damianmcr »

Russ I'm not reading all that.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Where's the bit about thumping it to their fullback and then waiting for him to run it back?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Haul the bus ... who kidnapped Russ and replaced him with ... someone semi intelligent?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

Russ wrote:Recently I was reminded on the first 60 minutes Ireland played against New Zealand in 2001. A masterpiece in how to play rugby. Followed swiftly by 20 minutes from New Zealand that reaffirmed how to play rugby.
That, and the loss to England in 2003 were the two best games of rugby I saw in Landsdowne Road.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cornerfleg wrote:Haul the bus ... who kidnapped Russ and replaced him with ... someone semi intelligent?
Has he sobered up?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Any sport can be stripped down to its bare bones and seems simple, but the devil is in the detail. Mini rugby is very simple, but professional rugby is as complex as you want it to be. Joe Schmidt sees it as a deeply complex game.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Snipe Watson wrote:Any sport can be stripped down to its bare bones and seems simple, but the devil is in the detail. Mini rugby is very simple, but professional rugby is as complex as you want it to be. Joe Schmidt sees it as a deeply complex game.
And then makes it look very simple.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Any sport can be stripped down to its bare bones and seems simple, but the devil is in the detail. Mini rugby is very simple, but professional rugby is as complex as you want it to be. Joe Schmidt sees it as a deeply complex game.
And then makes it look very simple.
All the best exponents make their thing look easy.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Russ

You have forgotten the opposition if the opposition do the simple things right then it makes your game harder .

there is the fact that the game is physical and when players tire they can lose concentration and many forget the game is as much mental as physical . The problem about the mental side is that your concentration can be effected by so many things , the sneaky little fouls of the opposition, the pull on the jersey , the holding you down in the ruck to get a penalty , a penalty awarded against you because you miss timed a run , all small but the effect is that the defence is weaken or the ball dropped , or a communication failure .

Then rugby is possibly the one game where the result is a team effort playing to its strengths and where the weakest link will be quickly exploited .

For example Nelson last week was seen as the weak link and Leinster played the game at him that he stood up against that assessment is why he deserved MoTM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:Russ

You have forgotten the opposition if the opposition do the simple things right then it makes your game harder .

there is the fact that the game is physical and when players tire they can lose concentration and many forget the game is as much mental as physical . The problem about the mental side is that your concentration can be effected by so many things , the sneaky little fouls of the opposition, the pull on the jersey , the holding you down in the ruck to get a penalty , a penalty awarded against you because you miss timed a run , all small but the effect is that the defence is weaken or the ball dropped , or a communication failure .

Then rugby is possibly the one game where the result is a team effort playing to its strengths and where the weakest link will be quickly exploited .

For example Nelson last week was seen as the weak link and Leinster played the game at him that he stood up against that assessment is why he deserved MoTM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like i noted in my post

If you do defence better than they defend. And attack slightly better than then attack then you win

If the other team does the basics better than you, you can have our backline and get nowhere
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

damianmcr wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Haul the bus ... who kidnapped Russ and replaced him with ... someone semi intelligent?
Has he sobered up?
On a dry January. Took 7 days for 2014s alcohol to leave my system
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Currently penning my "how to run a success business" note which will be released soon and sent directly to Mr S Logan
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Russ, rugby is indeed a simple game. But so is, for example, tennis - after all it's simply a matter of hitting a ball over a low net and you even get a big bat thing with which to do it. The problem is that there is some bloke hitting it back again and the game thus becomes a bit more difficult. To win, it is inevitable that you must think a lot more about ways of outwitting your opponent. That is the point where all sports become complicated. Rugby is no different.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians