time for a clearout?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

dublane
Novice

time for a clearout?

Post by dublane »

Just looking at our squad, and can't help but feel there is some dead wood, including NIQs. With a few decent NIQS likely to be available after the world cup, would it be worth moving some players on. Here are those that in my opinion are below the standard required :

NIQ
Nick Williams
Louis Ludik

IQ
Mike Mccomish
Neil McComb
Peter Nelson
Ricky Andrew
Conor Joyce
Ruaidhri Murphy
Clive Ross
Dave Ryan

I post this as a discussion starter mainly, I'm sure i have missed players. Are there no better IQ players available? should we promote academy players quicker? Could we get better NIQs in for next season? Is this even a possibility with the way contracts are set up?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: time for a clearout?

Post by Russ »

Some tom kite in there I do concur
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We always end up replacing crap with shyte.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I wouldn't get rid of Nelson yet, he certainly did the job for us the last time he was called upon. On Joyce, it's been such a long time since we've seen hide or hair of him but then again he didn't really seize his chance did he?
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

thoughts on van der merwe?
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

I'm a fan of Nelson
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Are we keeping Butterworth?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:We always end up replacing crap with shyte.
Was that not the plan all along for trap 2?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:Are we keeping Butterworth?
Who?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

dublane wrote:thoughts on van der merwe?
Sound enough and his durability as much as anything has been a big asset this season. If he had got crocked we'd have been well ballixed at times.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

therealspratt wrote:I wouldn't get rid of Nelson yet, he certainly did the job for us the last time he was called upon. On Joyce, it's been such a long time since we've seen hide or hair of him but then again he didn't really seize his chance did he?
No, nor would I and neither will Ulster, FFS guys he got a new contract last week :duh: Keep up.
Forget thoughts on Franco, here is a question for you. Without the durable Franco Van der Merve, where would Ulster have been this season? Hint: Fu@ked is the correct answer. :banghead:

As for the rest, plenty could go, but with one or two exceptions,only if we recruit someone better. For example, nobody in their right mind would have signed Daves 1 & 2 if there were better alternatives. If you know any, give Bryn a shout.

As for our NIQs, Ludik is OK, Fat Nick is the nicest Kiwi ever to draw breath.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
clivemcl
Novice

Post by clivemcl »

I'm not entirely convinced he's any more worthy of an NIQ contract than the likes of Ludik.

Looks like IRFU will have Hendo at second row, and I'd argue he should be partnered by Tuohy ahead of VDM. Also, Alan O'Connor has been a real plus this season.

What's more, if its true that your man Mike Fitzgerald was IQ (not convinced he is) then its a crying shame he signed for Leicester. Probably VDM's equal.

Let's not forget we lose an NIQ spot once the contracts wind up anyways.

One of Ludik/Pienaar/VDM/Herbst/Williams will not be renewed or replaced.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

clivemcl wrote:
I'm not entirely convinced he's any more worthy of an NIQ contract than the likes of Ludik.

Looks like IRFU will have Hendo at second row, and I'd argue he should be partnered by Tuohy ahead of VDM. Also, Alan O'Connor has been a real plus this season.

What's more, if its true that your man Mike Fitzgerald was IQ (not convinced he is) then its a crying shame he signed for Leicester. Probably VDM's equal.

Not necessarily true that a NIQ will go, there is supposedly a softening in the IRFU stance providing certain conditions are met but I have yet to see it in print.
I see where you are coming from about Hendo and Touhy but I just don't see Hendo as a starter every week.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I agree with Baggy, VDM has proved his worth this year. Don't know what we'd do without him.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
EastTerraceUR
Novice

Post by EastTerraceUR »

clivemcl wrote:

Michael Fitzgerald hasnt signed for anybody, its Brendon O'Connor that leicester have signed