Ulster Job Cuts

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

LadyP
Novice

Ulster Job Cuts

Post by LadyP »

I was speaking to a friends hubby and he mentioned that there was a swathe of job cuts amongst the backroom staff at Ulster, I believe that this is mainly due to the loss of the DCAL grant, however all staff were made to reapply for their jobs. Does anyone know any more on this.

Are we that short of money?

How will this affect the hard work carried out by CROs in the past 3 years ?

Was there any forward planning for this event?

Would some of the silly signings Rainmakers etc not have been more prudent if they used that money on retaining some of this staff?
"This doesn't look good Parker"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Job Cuts

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Sitting in my igloo in not so feckin' sunny Spain, listening to howling winds battering the walls, I'm probably better placed than most to comment.

WTFF Fit? Barring some extraordinary circumstance, I believe an employer asking their staff to reapply for their own job is a scumsucking fecker whose need to look long and hard in the mirror.

This season Ulster have an uplift of at least 40% in the income through the turnstiles, the grounds name sold off, a Stand being sponsored and a rejigging but apparent uplift from shirt sponsorship income. Doubtless I may have missed something, for example if' not a big stretch to imagine drink sales up.

Now in this scenario and given that the whole organisation must have gone through extensive review and budgeting around the stadium redevelopment, why the sudden need for a root and branch employee review & re-employment scenario?

The ONLY situation that my currently frozen brain can envisage is that some high heedjin has made an utter balls of things in terms of finance. I wonder has that high heedjin had to reapply for their job?

Seems extraordinary.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

As for other funding produced by the professional game, I understand the stresses on those finances. Player inflation and future forecasts for the game outside the French leagues are bleak. But, am I correct in thinking IRFU fund CRO's for the other provinces but don't in Ulster as it was done by DCAL? I heard that but don't have a source on it. Would really like to know

Correct
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

It's called Lean

UR looked to be massively bloated
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Have there not been complaints on this board about Fit surrounding himself with yes men who aren't worth their corn?
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Imagine if Ulster didn't have an, oh, say rather large weight around their neck as alluded to above. Imagine if the CEO, of all people, had thought about what the increasing of the size, capacity etc of Ravers might mean in the outgoings rather than just having a nice load of schite to talk about the increased turnover. Imagine that the Kingspan deal, whilst good, was arguably not good enough for what we actually needed and are now locked in to a ten year deal.

Lot of back slapping has been done by Fit, not much/enough scrutiny perhaps but the chickens will generally come home to roost.

Sad news about the CROs if true, they do a genuinely excellent and valuable job for the grass roots game in the province.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Have there not been complaints on this board about Fit surrounding himself with yes men who aren't worth their corn?
There have been. There has not been, afaik, complaints about the work of the CRO's. I take Ross's point about bloated. However, community outreach; coaching; and spreading the gospel are grass roots endeavours. I cannot speak on the admin side but on the rugby coaching side anyone I have contact with is "value for money".
Is that where the axe is falling? The CRO's do deliver value.
Brian Dunn 382
Novice

Post by Brian Dunn 382 »

>fiddle This is due to the Executive's failure to implement the benefits reform. This is causing them to inflict pain throughout all sectors in NI so our politicians can claim to be protecting the disadvantaged. The rate of benefit claimants in NI is exponentially greater than GB and it is difficult to see how 30 years of conflict has made so many disabled. One area has 1 in 5 on Disability Living Allowance and the 2 nd highest unemployment rate. It is time our politicians faced up to reality and it is not up to Ulster supporters to make up the shortfall.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Brian Dunn 382 wrote:>fiddle This is due to the Executive's failure to implement the benefits reform. This is causing them to inflict pain throughout all sectors in NI so our politicians can claim to be protecting the disadvantaged. The rate of benefit claimants in NI is exponentially greater than GB and it is difficult to see how 30 years of conflict has made so many disabled. One area has 1 in 5 on Disability Living Allowance and the 2 nd highest unemployment rate. It is time our politicians faced up to reality and it is not up to Ulster supporters to make up the shortfall.
That is an entirely different issue Brian. If UR have lost a DCAL grant they need to look at where the axe should fall. Cutting community involvement would seem to be rather short sighted.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Maybe when the employees applied for jobs funded by Dcal the employment was identified as being for the duration of that funding . Thus when that funding ceased so did the jobs of those funded . Thus Ulster Rugby may not want to fund the same number of jobs without the funding there is also the possibility that the programmes established it may not require the same numbers to maintain the programme .

As usual everybody is jumping up and down without any facts to support their indignation assuming to blame all of incompetence whereas only a idiot would have extended any job funded by grant aid beyond the period of the grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Brian Dunn 382 wrote:>fiddle This is due to the Executive's failure to implement the benefits reform. This is causing them to inflict pain throughout all sectors in NI so our politicians can claim to be protecting the disadvantaged. The rate of benefit claimants in NI is exponentially greater than GB and it is difficult to see how 30 years of conflict has made so many disabled. One area has 1 in 5 on Disability Living Allowance and the 2 nd highest unemployment rate. It is time our politicians faced up to reality and it is not up to Ulster supporters to make up the shortfall.
That is an entirely different issue Brian. If UR have lost a DCAL grant they need to look at where the axe should fall. Cutting community involvement would seem to be rather short sighted.
There still would be cuts across the board regardless of welfare reform. This is the harsh reality of tory austerity.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
There still would be cuts across the board regardless of welfare reform. This is the harsh reality of tory austerity.
There is also the fact that our clowns on the hill have wasted actually more millions than the cuts needed, take all the EU fines, British Government fines, mini empire building, etc etc and there probably were no cuts required at all !
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:Not just there Snipe. All required to reapply and now being interviewed for fewer jobs. Brian is, of course, right - local politicians serve us badly. However, it was known about and one would have thought budgets could have been re-jigged. I mean, there are no basic overhead liabilities that have been forgotten.
I know he's right. They just love their principled stances.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

rumncoke wrote:Maybe when the employees applied for jobs funded by Dcal the employment was identified as being for the duration of that funding . Thus when that funding ceased so did the jobs of those funded . Thus Ulster Rugby may not want to fund the same number of jobs without the funding there is also the possibility that the programmes established it may not require the same numbers to maintain the programme .

As usual everybody is jumping up and down without any facts to support their indignation assuming to blame all of incompetence whereas only a idiot would have extended any job funded by grant aid beyond the period of the grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rum, as usual your full of mad cats shît , some of those laid off , have over 10 years service , some a lot more :roll:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Have the paid the rates bill yet?