London Help please

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

London Help please

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OK I got a late offer I can't refuse and am arriving to Heathrow on Friday afternoon, I've discovered the easiest way to travel the few miles to Twickenham without paying £50 for a taxi but it appears I have no way of buying a fare. I don't have an Oyster Card & I don't have any contactless payment card to the best of my knowledge.

Can I really be in a situation where walking or a taxi are my alternatives?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: London Help please

Post by Dave »

I never knew I had contactless payment on my credit card til a shopkeeper pointed it out. If your card has like a wifi symbol on the front then that's the jobby. Alternatively just give a pleb a shilling and he will carry you there in his wheelbarrow.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

You can purchase an oyster at Heathrow

Or if you have a smartphone download uber and use the code savethestudent20 this will give you 20 off your first ride

Uber is dirt cheap compared ro rip off cabs
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Thank guys, just realised I have one on a euro account. Cheers for the help. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:You can purchase an oyster at Heathrow

Or if you have a smartphone download uber and use the code savethestudent20 this will give you 20 off your first ride

Russ, thanks but as you know I am a man of some principle, I will not use a student discount at my age. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:You can purchase an oyster at Heathrow

Russ, thanks but as you know I am a man of some principle, I will not use a student discount at my age. Image Image Image Image Image
Other discounts are available but that is the largest
Brian Dunn 382
Novice

Post by Brian Dunn 382 »

Heathrow to Twickenham is only a few miles but a nightmare to do bit is much easier to travel from central London to Twickenham :stout:
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

District Line to Richmond Station, then train or bus to nearby Twickenham (10 min bus ride, 5 min train ride) :D
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Thanks all.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

namron wrote:District Line to Richmond Station, then train or bus to nearby Twickenham (10 min bus ride, 5 min train ride) :D
Worst way to go! Although the bars are better in Richmond

South west trains from Waterloo and a 5 minute dander up the road
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Info on contactless cards for transport is here:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment ... ntcmp=8610

On trains and underground you need to remember to swipe in and out otherwise you get charged max fare.

I agree with Russ, from central London SW Trains are much faster to Twickenham than District line.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:Info on contactless cards for transport is here:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment ... ntcmp=8610

On trains and underground you need to remember to swipe in and out otherwise you get charged max fare.

I agree with Russ, from central London SW Trains are much faster to Twickenham than District line.
Cheers Mike, I will almost certainly forget to swipe out, I am a doddery old git.

I have always disliked London mainly on the basis that most places you go in the world they are simply looking to part you from your cash, London has always appeared to me to be a grasping wretch who will also try to pick your pocket. :lol:
wrayzo
Novice

Post by wrayzo »

Another way is to get the tube to Hatton Cross and then get the 490 bus. This will take you into the centre of Twickenham.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I've actually got my route sorted, Piccadilly line to Hounslow East, dander down Kingsley Road to Hounslow Bus station and the 281 bus stops right outside Twickenham HQ, dander into the Marriott and start drinking. :stout: Wander over to the Stoop to gulder against Glaws, drink some more, bed in the Marriott, pull back the curtains to see how the pitch is looking on Saturday, either get up and go to the game or watch it from my scratcher, if I can't be arsed. :stout: Sounds a plan.

The payment was my issue, but I'd forgotten I had a euro visa card which is contactless. So all sorted chaps, thanks for the assistance. :thumleft:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Another route option is 285 or 490 bus (T5) from Heathrow to Feltham, then train from Feltham to Twickenham. Bus journey takes about 30 mins, train from Feltham to Twickenham is about 5 mins with trains every 10-15 mins. Then you'll be spared the dubious pleasure of walking through Hounslow... Feltham is a shithole as well but at least the bus drops you off directly at the station. It is about 10-15 mins walk from Twickenham station to the stadium.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/transpor ... _air-buses