Sevens

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Sevens

Post by Russ »

Whilst it is not rugby it would have been nice if the IRFU actually attempted to qualify for the Olympics instead of sending an AIL team
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sevens

Post by Kofi Annan »

Don't get it and hope it falls flat on its face, what the fûck is the IFRU up to with all these fecking convicts coming over here and deciding what Irish rugby should be doing, fail in Australia, try Ireland and feck it up. Domestic rugby is dying on its feet and we are now going to spend millions on 7s, what a load of mad cats shît. I listened to the interview that said its another pathway to the National XVs team, is it feck, I can't wait to see Portugal, Russia, Kenya ripped them a new hole
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ you could have stopped after "is not rugby".

Kofi, you have my sympathies, I hope I'm dead before it finally dies.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I have always valued Ireland's unique status as the only major rugby nation to ignore 7777777.

It's not rugby it's convoluted athletics with a ball, boring rubbish, I'd rather watch wendyball - not 5 a side obviously. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

It seems to be Nucifora's pet project. It isn't obvious what else he has been doing since he was appointed.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

But surely if it's your pet project

You put Earls, Gilroy, couple of quick flankers, a paul marshall etc in there

Not scrubbers from Hinch
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Russ wrote:But surely if it's your pet project

Not scrubbers from Hinch
There'd then be a collective pissing of pants as everyone laments the IRFU for robbing the provinces of their front line players.

Makes sense to take decent young AIL players IMO as it will not disrupt the professional set ups and you never know they might actually make a decent fist of it and surprise a few people. Dairmud McCarthy was in Earls' year at school I believe and has been ripping it up for Young Munster in the AIL.

With regards to the club game not a lot the IRFU can really do unfortunately IMO. Any increases in funding they give to clubs will be squandered on paying sub-standard coaches and mediocre players...we'll certainly in Ulster anyway. There needs to be some sort of feasibility study into the AIL and some tough choices to be made accordingly.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy not true Ireland in the days of amateur rugby supported the Hong Kong sevens and also won it if memory serves .
Ian Humphreys played sevens for Ireland .

While 7s is different game to the XV man game it has much to admire in that it is a game which favours pace vision and skill rather than the power .
It is a game which is suitable for locations with few resources and where it is too hot to play for 80 minutes .
Which is why it is played in Fiji and other Pacific Islands .
But being a game evolved by the Scots would be enough to damn it in your eyes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

rumncoke wrote:
While 7s is different game to the XV man game it has much to admire in that it is a game which favours pace vision and skill rather than the power

Plenty of 4-on-2s in your typical Sevens game, too . . . too easy, Rumn.
It's the hope that kills you.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Who has hacked Rumn's account?

I actually understood that at first reading :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Baggy not true Ireland in the days of amateur rugby supported the Hong Kong sevens and also won it if memory serves .

While 7s is different game to the XV man game it has much to admire in that it is a game which favours pace vision and skill rather than the power .
It is a game which is suitable for locations with few resources and where it is too hot to play for 80 minutes .

Inaccurate and largely ancient history and total crap Rum'n goodbye. :duh: Ireland played 7777777 in Australia in the late 70s, never in HK therefore they have never won it.

Don't try to bullshit me Rum'n, you're never going to be an early enough riser.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Our last feeble effort
Ireland Squad Announced For RWC Sevens
23 February 2009 10:43am
Kieran Campbell will captain the Ireland Sevens side in the Rugby World Cup Kieran Campbell will captain the Ireland Sevens side in the Rugby World Cup Sevens in Dubai next month © www.Inpho.ie Ireland Sevens coach Jon Skurr has named a 12-man squad for the Rugby World Cup Sevens in Dubai (March 5-7).

The squad contains a number of players who helped Ireland to qualification last summer including James Coughlan, Brian Tuohy and Kieran Campbell who will captain the side.
Former Under-20 Grand Slam winner Felix Jones, Ulster scrum half Paul Marshall and Connacht flyer Daniel Riordan have also been included in the 12-man panel.
Watch RWC 7s Live
Ireland qualified for the finals, which take place in Dubai from March 5 to March 7, courtesy of their performances in the qualifying tournaments in Poland, Denmark and Germany last summer.
Ireland have been drawn in a tough pool for the RWC Sevens alongside Australia, Samoa and noted Sevens exponents Portugal.
Fans can keep up to date with all the action online with live and on demand streaming of the games - click here for more details.
Ireland will open their RWC Sevens campaign against Samoa on Thursday March 5, with games against Australia and Portugal the following day.

IRELAND RUGBY WORLD CUP SEVENS SQUAD (Dubai, March 5-7):
Gary Brown (Blackrock College - Leinster)
Kieran Campbell ( Galwegians - Connacht) (capt)
Brian Carney (Clonakilty - Munster)
James Coughlan (Dolphin - Munster)
Conan Doyle (Garryowen - Munster)
Tom Gleeson (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Eoghan Grace (Shannon - Munster)
Felix Jones (Old Belvedere - Leinster)
Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
Daniel Riordan (Buccaneers - Connacht)
Kyle Tonetti (Blackrock College - Leinster)
Brian Tuohy (Cornish Pirates)
In addition to this, the Ireland squad, along with three extra players - Max Rantz McDonald (Clontarf), Mark McCrea (Malone - Ulster) and Cian Aherne (UCD - Leinster) - will take part in a warm-up tournament in Portugal this coming weekend.
Ireland Sevens Management -
Hugh McCaughey - Manager
Jon Skurr - Coach
Simon Harland - Physiotherapist
Fergal O'Callaghan - Fitness
Ashley Blair - Masseuse
Vinny Hammond - Video Analyst
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

Was John Skurr not the Ireland Ladies 7s coach who they sacked for being crap. Intersting the Irish Ladies are away to Amsterdam 7s this week no mention at all, now the men are on board, focus has changed
Available for weddings May to August only
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Baggy not true Ireland in the days of amateur rugby supported the Hong Kong sevens and also won it if memory serves .

Inaccurate and largely ancient history and total crap Rum'n goodbye. :duh: Ireland played 7777777 in Australia in the late 70s, never in HK therefore they have never won it.

Don't try to bullshit me Rum'n, you're never going to be an early enough riser.
Ireland maybe never played the HK 7s but I think they did play sevens IN Hong Kong - RWC Sevens was played in HK in 2005 with iHump as Ireland captain. Didn't win it though .... surprise surprise.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

BuckRogers wrote:
Russ wrote:But surely if it's your pet project

Not scrubbers from Hinch
There'd then be a collective pissing of pants as everyone laments the IRFU for robbing the provinces of their front line players.

Makes sense to take decent young AIL players IMO as it will not disrupt the professional set ups and you never know they might actually make a decent fist of it and surprise a few people. Dairmud McCarthy was in Earls' year at school I believe and has been ripping it up for Young Munster in the AIL.

With regards to the club game not a lot the IRFU can really do unfortunately IMO. Any increases in funding they give to clubs will be squandered on paying sub-standard coaches and mediocre players...we'll certainly in Ulster anyway. There needs to be some sort of feasibility study into the AIL and some tough choices to be made accordingly.
Very interested to see how this McCarthy lad gets on, meant to be one of the great talents to slip away from Irish rugby, has had a tough time of it I understand.