Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Sevens

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Baggy not true Ireland in the days of amateur rugby supported the Hong Kong sevens and also won it if memory serves .
Ian Humphreys played sevens for Ireland .

While 7s is different game to the XV man game it has much to admire in that it is a game which favours pace vision and skill rather than the power .
It is a game which is suitable for locations with few resources and where it is too hot to play for 80 minutes .
Which is why it is played in Fiji and other Pacific Islands .
But being a game evolved by the Scots would be enough to damn it in your eyes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inaccurate and largely ancient history and total crap Rum'n goodbye. :duh: Ireland played 7777777 in Australia in the late 70s, never in HK therefore they have never won it.

Don't try to bullshit me Rum'n, you're never going to be an early enough riser.
Ireland maybe never played the HK 7s but I think they did play sevens IN Hong Kong - RWC Sevens was played in HK in 2005 with iHump as Ireland captain. Didn't win it though .... surprise surprise.

thanks for your invaluable contribution Skipper, all of which confirms the accuracy of my post in relation to Rum'n s bullshite about tge amateur days.

Ireland need to avoid sevens like the plague. waste if resources.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Baggy not true Ireland in the days of amateur rugby supported the Hong Kong sevens and also won it if memory serves .
Ian Humphreys played sevens for Ireland .

While 7s is different game to the XV man game it has much to admire in that it is a game which favours pace vision and skill rather than the power .
It is a game which is suitable for locations with few resources and where it is too hot to play for 80 minutes .
Which is why it is played in Fiji and other Pacific Islands .
But being a game evolved by the Scots would be enough to damn it in your eyes .

Inaccurate and largely ancient history and total crap Rum'n goodbye. :duh: Ireland played 7777777 in Australia in the late 70s, never in HK therefore they have never won it.

Don't try to bullshit me Rum'n, you're never going to be an early enough riser.
Ireland maybe never played the HK 7s but I think they did play sevens IN Hong Kong - RWC Sevens was played in HK in 2005 with iHump as Ireland captain. Didn't win it though .... surprise surprise.
seems about right, lost to Scotland 33-14 , lost to NZ 52-5, lost to the mighty USA 31-19, beat the world power South Korea 24-7 and in, the plate lost to the might Samoa, intersting the force of Portugal got to the plate final ffs, are you sure the swinging door played, i know Chris Henry and Darren Cave played!
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

No Chad or Caveman
The Irish team to take part in the Rugby World Cup Sevens in Hong Kong from March 18th - 20th has been named.

The squad will be captained by Ian Humphreys, who along with Michael McComish, has played in all five IRB sevens circuit tournaments this season.

There are also three newcomers in the squad to the sevens circuit in the shape of Kevin Croke, Brendan O'Connor and Brian Tuohy. Ireland has been placed in Pool A with New Zealand, Scotland, Tonga, Korea and the USA.

The team will play Scotland, New Zealand and the USA on day one of the tournament and Korea and Tonga on day two. The team will depart on Thursday, 10th March.

The Ireland Sevens team to play in the Rugby World Cup Sevens Finals in Hong Kong on 18th - 20th March, 2005 is as follows:
Mark Bruce (Loughborough University)
Kevin Croke (UCD)*
David Hewitt (Clontarf)
Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin)
Ian Humphreys (Belfast Harlequins) Captain
Andy Maxwell (Ballymena)
Michael McComish (Ballymena)
Martin McPhail (UL Bohemians)
James Norton (UCD)
Brendan O'Connor (Cork Constitution)*
Niall Ronan (Lansdowne)
Brian Tuohy (Shannon)*

Management:
Ryan Constable (Coach)
Ailbe McCormack (Physio)
George Spotswood (Manager)
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Michael McComish ...
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

So how's this different than the other 7s squad announced?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

damianmcr wrote:So how's this different than the other 7s squad announced?
Ihumphs was 10 years ago
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Oh. I should read more closely!

When's the club 7's? Will Ulster win it again this year?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Did cave and Henry not play 2005-6 in sevens
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Kofi Annan wrote:Did cave and Henry not play 2005-6 in sevens
Think they may have in qualifying rounds but not in squad that went to HK
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Michael McComish ...

Would you believe me if I told you he was an outhalf in his youth, Jim Neilly told me, must be true?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Think Ireland may have beaten the Aussies in Dubai. I had the misfortune to be there (crap place). Also think the welsh may have won it or then again, I could be wrong with that as well as it does seem bizarre.... :scratch:

Brian Carney.....our great RL convert....
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Going back further location wrong time 1973 in the days of CEM and Slattery in a side that beat the ABs

But Ireland never really took to the game .

It may be that the pitches were to heavy and didn't allow the development of pact backs and back row forwards

Plus 7 s tended to be played at the end of the season and the players were amateurs and as the game tends to be best suited to the student age group many had exams to sit when the 7 competitions were being played

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

They did better than expected last weekend
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Who?
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

Rooster wrote:They did better than expected last weekend
Well the quality was not that great to be fair