Season review-positives and negatives

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Season review-positives and negatives

Post by Snipe Watson »

scrum5 wrote:That's what I thought Snipe but the truth is there's no one there apart from Deccie :duck: who you'd miss, time for the academy lads to sink or swim and I don't think that's a bad thing
That is true. I do think that history will judge Deccie kindly. He was a player who was a formidable operator in the scrum when fit. Sadly that was all too seldom, but it was great to see him get his first try in a long time against the Dragons. Any guy who packs down in the front row at top level deserves respect it's an incredibly hostile environment.
The rest of them will not be missed.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Took a lot of stick here, but he is an absolute gent.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
MCBwinwinwin wrote:We need to address the academy's inability to produce forwards and scrum halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that the academy's fault .or does it lay with the schools?
Do the schools not feed them enough for them to grow into big boys?
baggy blames Thatcher for stealing their milk , so there is the cause, Thatcher
Well look Kofi, it didn't fecking help did it, you see Saffers, Englishmen even, Kiwis & Aussies, they produce massive lumps who are raw boned big yokels who look like they are born that way or quarried. Look then at your average Irish forward, they look like feckin' bankers who go to the gym regularly with damn few exceptions.

Them biys from all arts & parts obviously guzzle their milk. Ding dong.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:I don't think we're dirty I think we're thick.
That table accurately reflects intelligence levels.
That is where I agree, barring Fat Nick's GBH & Deccies stupid punch, possibly The Dubliner Strangler's death hold, every other citing and red card have resulted from purely avoidable, stupid decision making, otherwise known as an utter lack of discipline.

It is nonsense to consider us a dirty team though we have made a rod for our own backs to be considered that way & yes that can sit in a ref's subconscious and bite us on the bum.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Deraless wrote:
jackthelad wrote:
MCBwinwinwin wrote:We need to address the academy's inability to produce forwards and scrum halves.

If you don't put them in - e.g. Chris Taylor.. and don't give them games you end up with disenchanted young men who see little worth in what they are doing. No leadership, little interest shown and feck all rugby.
Taylor was mentioned recently at the recent Doak/Bryn URSC soundbyte evening.
Their synopsis. Not up to it in the big boys league. International U20 props are about 3rd XV club standard and get their arses handed to them if promoted too quickly.
Except that he played, and thrived, in 1A of the AIL last season? If that was their verbatim response I would despair, if for no other reason than crass idiocy of the analogy.

I would be interested in hearing their true thoughts of hairy Dave and auld Bronson if that feedback on Taylor is accurate.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

BuckRogers wrote:
Deraless wrote:
jackthelad wrote:

If you don't put them in - e.g. Chris Taylor.. and don't give them games you end up with disenchanted young men who see little worth in what they are doing. No leadership, little interest shown and feck all rugby.
Taylor was mentioned recently at the recent Doak/Bryn URSC soundbyte evening.
Their synopsis. Not up to it in the big boys league. International U20 props are about 3rd XV club standard and get their arses handed to them if promoted too quickly.
Except that he played, and thrived, in 1A of the AIL last season? If that was their verbatim response I would despair, if for no other reason than crass idiocy of the analogy.

I would be interested in hearing their true thoughts of hairy Dave and auld Bronson if that feedback on Taylor is accurate.
Also the idea is to take a good player at under age into the Academy and make him better. That's when you decide, not sitting around a table with a bunch of gossipy twerps loaded with prejudice. The answer they gave is simply unacceptable. It's similar to the Gilroy situation when Niall Malone told him he'd never be a professional rugby player.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Ha I forgot about Smiley Nialls contribution there. Hilarious. And to think people wonder why some are critical of the amateurs we currently have in the pro-set up.

I wonder what Nialls video analysis of referees is like?

'No boys relax Poite doesn't care about scrums'

'Wayne Barnes has a fairly loose interpretation of the ruck laws'

'Clancy isn't a arsehole'
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Some times that assessment is due to attitude and ability , and sometimes young guys when leaving school enjoy the sense of freedom .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

rumncoke wrote:Some times that assessment is due to attitude and ability , and sometimes young guys when leaving school enjoy the sense of freedom .

I know OAK will wish to hang me by my own petard for whiting this but seriously, WTF does that even mean?
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

BuckRogers wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Some times that assessment is due to attitude and ability , and sometimes young guys when leaving school enjoy the sense of freedom .

I know OAK will wish to hang me by my own petard for whiting this but seriously, WTF does that even mean?
I believe he's saying that the academy assessment is on attitude as well as ability and that not every young talent has the necessary attitude to be a professional.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Nightsoil wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:

I believe he's saying that the academy assessment is on attitude as well as ability and that not every young talent has the necessary attitude to be a professional.
I refer the Honourable gentleman to the answer I gave previously.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Nightsoil wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:

Roll up, roll up, ladies and gents! The Wild West roadshow has arrived at the Outer Ring of Cullybackey, bringing you, still sweaty from an afternoon of butchering 4-on-2s, Mister Rumncoke!

And to carry his messages to us mere mortals, like Moses coming down the mountain with his stone tablet, we bring you the ONE, the ONLY . . .
Nightsoil: the Rum whisperer!

It's the hope that kills you.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ok for the simple souls who lack appreciation of anything that is written which fails to belittle their fellow man in words other than ancient Anglo Saxon
Former schoolboys frequently lack the necessary professional attitude - fail to listen and continue to play like school boys .

Payne when he first came could be observed advising Gilroy on the proper field positions during a game .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Be warned if OAK doesn't get you I will ... please use the quote button responsibly ... it's not a play thing!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Over 9000 season tickets sold for next season
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best