Who will be there?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Who will be there?

Post by Snipe Watson »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I would suggest that Madigan cannot play 10 at this level.

We all know this. Joe knows this too. Versatility is Madigan's only asset at this stage.
That's why there needs to be two real 10s in the squad. You either opt for Madigan and Jones or Earls and Jackson. I like the latter especially for a big game.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

If Sexton gets injured then Ireland are sunk no matter whether Jackson or Madigan replaces him.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:If Sexton gets injured then Ireland are sunk no matter whether Jackson or Madigan replaces him.
Well if Murray gets crocked we are in soapy bubble too. Or POC, Heaslip or indeed Best.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I would have less reservations over Strauss replacing Best than any of the other respective alternatives mentioned above.

Earls is a very good player. I've often said if one could marry Cave's brain and Earls athleticism you'd have a pretty close replacement for BOD but we can't and we don't. Currently he offers more impact from the bench against a tiring defence than Jones and would therefore be my 'pick' here it would also allow Jackson to bench who is, IMO, more defensively assured than Quiffy.

I don't think I would have Henry on the bench to be honest, Murphy brings a bit more to the party of the bench IMO. It's arguable that Murphy and Madigan will both benefit bench spots because of their versatility but both unlikely to start should injury strike the front liners.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It all depends on the opposition and what is required from the result .

According to the match stats Jackson handled the ball 38 times kick 9 ,ran 6, and passed 23 times in my opinion if that had been Madigan at 0ut Half it would read something like kicked 20 ran 2 passed 16,Thus if Joe is wanting to play an open game in the search for trys and points ( and in my view the winner of the group could be decided on points scored difference) and wishes to rest Sexton then the Jackson must feature , if Joe considers a game will be decided
by penalties then the choice becomes Madigan.

While Earls had a eye catching game on Saturday I don't think he convinced as a centre a couple of handling errors and some missed tackles . If he is picked it could well be as a wing . Madigan had an if session at 12 and I doubt if he is seen as anything more than a bench utility player and not as either a starting 10, 12 or 15 and if he is considered to cover 15
as well then backline subs become an open debate .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BuckRogers wrote:I would have less reservations over Strauss replacing Best than any of the other respective alternatives mentioned above.
Strauss is the best like for like replacement, but Cronin brings that bit of dynamism that can change a game.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Spiffsson wrote:
The benefit is giving someone else a run at 8 in case Heaslip gets crocked, and trying to determine who the best replacement 8 might be. I am not suggesting that POM displace Heaslip,who was great against Wales. Just probing the alternatives for best possible backrow balance if he's not around. POM has played well at 8 for Munster when asked. And Hendo is a very good 6.
Joe does not need to know anything more about Heaslip at this stage. He's a nailed on starter when fit. The warmup games are a time for some experimentation and he can be rested/cotton-wooled.
Are you suggesting he should play every game?
No. Nobody should be playing every game. I hear what you are saying but also I think Murphy is seen as the replacement 8. He hasn't done anything in an Ireland shirt yet to suggest he is not up to that. I am hoping to see him named at 8 v Scotland.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cave was excellent on Saturday, although consideration for the weak opposition has to be taken into account- altho Earls etc faced the same standard. Trucked up a la D'Arcy in his prime. Did nothing wrong, but not sure he caught the eye enough to back up Henshaw or Payne. Won't go.

Payne will go as he holds the shirt. He's also FB cover, everyone seems to forget :duck:
Until TOD got crocked, I reckon Chad was in danger. Anonymous on Saturday, altho in and out didn't help.
Hendo did the basics well, but apart from a couple of carries, was quiet, and has to be behind Ryan, Toner and POC as starting lock. Will go due to ability to cover the row and 6.
Best is a cert.
Red no chance unfortunately. Future bet though. RWC too soon.
Tommy must be a bit squeaky- needs a good game or too, as he was average for us last season. Ironically Gillers much better.
Gillers- shackled with allegedly poor defensive qualities, otherwise would go. McFadden and DAverage more solid/ dull etc.. but less of a liability in the tight.
AAT- injuries permitting, it will be a travesty if he doesn't go. Offers the physicality no-one else has in the backs, bar Henshaw. However, I fear Keet and Luke- one braindead, the other cack, may get the nod- Luke has Schmidt's eye as a Ladyboi, why, who really knows or understands?

Chewy, I thought was fairly mardy, but needed to get into the game more than he did- needed high profile carries. At that stage, the flow had changed, and he spend time tackling, well. Needs to start a game to lay a marker, but I fear Ryan has already done enough. Ideal- drop Toner, and take 4 gnarly locks.
Standby unfortunately.

Really feel for DC if it pans out as we expect. Couldn't do any more, other than dye his hair blonde and Sh*g an OrTE presenter or two, to fool Kiwi Joe.
Exterminate all rational thought
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dublin4 wrote:Tommy O'Donnell dislocated his hip and is ruled out of the RWC.
Very unfortunate.
Am I correct in thinking that a hip dislocation is a very unusual injury in rugby?
Dislocated hips happen to new born babies. Broken hips happen to OAPs. O'Donnell is neither, so he must be considered very unlucky.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ruckover wrote:If Sexton gets injured then Ireland are sunk no matter whether Jackson or Madigan replaces him.
Well if Murray gets crocked we are in soapy bubble too. Or POC, Heaslip or indeed Best.
I agree completely, I was simply clarifying that I feel the Madigan/Jackson debate is in some ways irrelevant due to the immense superiority of Sexton.

Re hooker: Cronin is an excellent impact sub, Strauss is a starter. Best beats both.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BOOM. Feck you Welshman. I'm going to the RWC. :D

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Balls. Trimble ruled out of Scotland game. Please let him be OK after the next scan for feck sake.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

#prayfortrimble
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Get the feeling he's going the way of 1F and Paddy Wallace? Or am I catastrophising?

I thought TOD would have appeased the Injury Gods....
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Get the feeling he's going the way of 1F and Paddy Wallace?
Why?