Gilroy

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Gilroy

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:We need consistent players. Luke is consistently dung at every level. Joe knows what he can expect from him.
But but, he has a step off his left foot.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Fitz is one of those players who ticks the boxes until he puts on the jersey you are aware he could do something the only trouble is you might die waiting .

Zebo on the other hand will provide the good ,the bad and a WTF in 5 minutes of the kick off .

Defensively I would have Gilroy a head of Zebo in all things except catch and kick .

The truth is that Gilroy's time will come sooner rather than later as old Father Time and accumulated injuries catch up with Bowe and Trimble

I sense that his inclusion in the current squad is a long term safety net for future needs

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

The problem with Gilroy,Cave,Trimble (until recently) and to a certain extent Henry lies not entirely with the coach but the IT and INDO who without a day passing are in praise of their idols Madigan and Zebo. They put the Nelson eye on their faults and raise them without warrant to world class status. This BS obviously is not without influence and even a strong coach may find it difficult to drop or not select particularly when the provincial mafia is at work.
On the question of Zebo and Gilroy at the start of last season they were alike strong going forward and weak in defence. Zebo my opinion marked time howwever as the season progressed Gilroy bulked up began to hit rucks and defensively looked better. ZEBO improved but still looked like a cloths line in defence. In addition he is prone to injuries and of late Gilroy has been the more durable.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Russ wrote:Luke Fitzgerald

No name needs reminded more of than the worst winger in Orish rugby history
Oh I love a challenge!

Justin Bishop,Girvan Dempsey, John McWeeney, Darragh O`Mahoney, James Topping, Dominic Crotty, Nial Woods ,Neville Furlong, Kevin Maggs, Ronnie Carey, Jack Clarke and Kenny Hooks all have been selected to play wing for Ireland in from 1990 onwards and all worse than Luke Fitz.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Not forgetting Matt Mostyn, John Kelly, Anthony Horgan, Brian Carney, Barry Murphy or Ian Dowling in recent memory and I use the term memory very loosely.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

bazzaj wrote:Not forgetting Matt Mostyn, John Kelly, Anthony Horgan, Brian Carney, Barry Murphy or Ian Dowling in recent memory and I use the term memory very loosely.
Oh God. I think one of my worst memories of ever watching Ireland was watching Anthony Horgan get chased down by an All Black second row...
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

skiboo wrote:The problem with Gilroy,Cave,Trimble (until recently) and to a certain extent Henry lies not entirely with the coach but the IT and INDO who without a day passing are in praise of their idols Madigan and Zebo. They put the Nelson eye on their faults and raise them without warrant to world class status. This BS obviously is not without influence and even a strong coach may find it difficult to drop or not select particularly when the provincial mafia is at work.
On the question of Zebo and Gilroy at the start of last season they were alike strong going forward and weak in defence. Zebo my opinion marked time howwever as the season progressed Gilroy bulked up began to hit rucks and defensively looked better. ZEBO improved but still looked like a cloths line in defence. In addition he is prone to injuries and of late Gilroy has been the more durable.
This is the point I was trying to make. Why do so many insist on judging Gilroy on past but not current form? He is one of the most improved backs in Ireland. I am not saying he should be selected for Ireland but I am disappointed that he did not get a chance in a warmup match. As for posts above saying that Pro 12 form means nothing when selecting the national team - how else is the coach to assess the form of his players? If Gilroy is playing better than Zebo or Fitzgerald in the same domestic competition, then surely he's worth a run.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Perhaps, like Cave, his face just doesn't fit. :roll:
Attachments
Gilroy-was-here.jpg
Gilroy-was-here.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Neil F wrote: Oh God. I think one of my worst memories of ever watching Ireland was watching Anthony Horgan get chased down by an All Black second row...
Could have been worse. Could have been chased down by an English second row. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

skiboo wrote:The problem with Gilroy,Cave,Trimble (until recently) and to a certain extent Henry lies not entirely with the coach but the IT and INDO who without a day passing are in praise of their idols Madigan and Zebo. They put the Nelson eye on their faults and raise them without warrant to world class status. This BS obviously is not without influence and even a strong coach may find it difficult to drop or not select particularly when the provincial mafia is at work.

Funny thing is many Munster supporters are saying the same about the media treatment of Zebo and other Munster players as you are saying about the Ulster players. I don't agree with them either. The bad boys of the D4 media set are not on a par with Remo Gaggi and his pals as far as I can see. :D
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

Zebo played 20 club games scoring 11 tries.
Gilroy played 21 and scored 13.

As well as that, Zebo played 7 international games (scoring 2 tries)

Fitness wise, Zebo was fine last season (played 27 games). There isn't a huge difference between Gilroy and Zebo's try scoring record at club level. I'd imagine that 'fibber joe' wouldn't be too happy with all those yellow cards though ;)
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

Shan wrote:

Funny thing is many Munster supporters are saying the same about the media treatment of Zebo and other Munster players as you are saying about the Ulster players. I don't agree with them either. The bad boys of the D4 media set are not on a par with Remo Gaggi and his pals as far as I can see. :D
If the media treatment is the same, fair enough. But its not. How do they have Luke Fitz on the plane?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

TMHG wrote: If the media treatment is the same, fair enough. But its not. How do they have Luke Fitz on the plane?
I honestly don't understand why people care what the media say. I believe I know more about the game than most sports writers in all papers so I am not bothered by what they are spouting. I read them sometimes but utterly fail in my duty to be energised by any agenda they may have. I suspect that is largely due to the above reason plus the fact that any emotional energy I desire to expend on rugby related matters I save for when I am in attendance at matches or viewing same on my TV.

Therefore I may not be best placed to debate the issue of some folks desperate need to place rugby writers and their outpourings on a pedestal.
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

Newspaper or news sites would have no purpose then if everyone was like you! The world would also be a very dull place.

I don't think anyone is placing any rugby writers on a pedestal (though there are a few who are admired and provide useful insights).
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

TMHG wrote:Newspaper or news sites would have no purpose then if everyone was like you! The world would also be a very dull place.

I don't think anyone is placing any rugby writers on a pedestal (though there are a few who are admired and provide useful insights).

Everybody who gets upset at what they write or thinks they have influence over any aspect of team selection places them on a pedestal. That they do so unknowingly is pretty sad but rather explains it.

I don't agree with the first line at all. I read them as I said so they would still have a purpose if everybody was like me.

Are you suggesting that if folk don't get irrationally emotional due to an article written by somebody who is not of any importance to that person, that the world is a duller place? I think it can only be a dull world somebody is inhabiting where such action seems desirable or necessary to brighten up one's day.