Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ticking Time Bomb?

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'm always here to encourage :salut:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Knight you are correct- I have been a gym goer all my life and I know the importance of split routines ( weights , cardio , rest etc) but the underlying problem is the ' pressure' young lads are under to gain weight to compete for their spot. The common sense approach of a healthy balanced diet and a supervised training regime is sometimes being overlooked for weight gain ' products which nine times out of ten see young lads overloading on unecessary levels of protein.The knock on from this is that the technically sound young lad is often overlooked, especially in the pack, for the lad that has 10 kg on him and come school
Leaving age it means a large number of young lads have had enough of rugby because they have put the blood, sweat and tears in but saw the big lump pull the jersey on come cup time.'
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:I'm always here to encourage :salut:
I thought you were here to snipe?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Quite an interesting thread and I suspect depending on which school your son/daughter attends they will have different experiences of S &C.

From my perspective having a son going through Medallion rugby at the moment protien shakes are discouraged and more emphasis put on eating the right food(wether they or their parents all listen is a different matter). They have a plan to follow in the gym and only progress when they are considered to by able to complete each stage of training. The IRFU keep chucking out healtyh eating guides to schools

For me if I wasnt happy with what my son was being told to do at school, I would speak to the school about it. Pa
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Boy at our school used to juice on over the counter dodo (Chest-eze) tablets which contain ephedrine and caffeine. Swore by them along with a sprinkling of glucose on his dinner. Probably helped to counter his 20 a day smoking habit.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

It's hard to generalise things here - my young lad, 17 in April, is 6'8", about 19 stone and plays second row in an U18s with another young lad who is 18, 6' 5" and built like a tank!

He doesn't do steroids, he doesn't do protein drinks; but he eats well, no processed foods, goes to the gym 3 times a week after classes and trains hard twice a week with his team.

He's just big; always has been , always will be. In fact he worries about standing out from the crowd.

But he's found out that girl's seem to like it so that's OK then.... :roll: >dance :roll:
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

My son was 5'11 and 15 stone at 1st XV level but could out lift most in the gym but he was naturally strong with great technique and he put it down to brown Pringles. Some lads are just big/ strong by design but supplements are an unhealthy proliferation and I watched a recent BBC Wales programme on steroids in rugby at all levels and it was eye opening and worrying. Should we be random drug testing ?
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Does excessive amounts of Lynx count as drug abuse :duck: :duck:
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Know a guy who was heavily into bodybuilding, used to enter competitions and was totally against drugs, he worked out and then drank a couple of litres of full cream milk and ate 2 rotisserie chickens and large chip, got placed regularly in competitions but quit it all before he was 20 as he was getting fed up with all the others pushing steroids etc. He was living proof that you could put on serious muscle mass using training and food
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Know a guy who was heavily into bodybuilding, used to enter competitions and was totally against drugs, he worked out and then drank a couple of litres of full cream milk and ate 2 rotisserie chickens and large chip, got placed regularly in competitions but quit it all before he was 20 as he was getting fed up with all the others pushing steroids etc. He was living proof that you could put on serious muscle mass using training and food
Steroids just make it easier to train longer and accentuate the gains. If you have the right genes, that's the biggest factor. But there is a massive temptation to take the easy path and young men are renowned for ignoring the consequences.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Know a guy who was heavily into bodybuilding, used to enter competitions and was totally against drugs, he worked out and then drank a couple of litres of full cream milk and ate 2 rotisserie chickens and large chip, got placed regularly in competitions but quit it all before he was 20 as he was getting fed up with all the others pushing steroids etc. He was living proof that you could put on serious muscle mass using training and food
Steroids just make it easier to train longer and accentuate the gains. If you have the right genes, that's the biggest factor.
Just?

Are you serious?

It's very naive to compare it with something like creatine.
When did I compare steroids to creatine?
What's your problem with the use of the word just?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Steroids just make it easier to train longer and accentuate the gains. If you have the right genes, that's the biggest factor.
Just?

Are you serious?

Just infers that steroids only accentuate gains and let you train longer, you do not mention the serious side effects that can at worst cause death
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Just?

Are you serious?

Just infers that steroids only accentuate gains and let you train longer, you do not mention the serious side effects that can at worst cause death
That was not my meaning at all. I meant that they just make it so much easier to bulk up, that is where the attraction is for young men who rarely consider the longer term consequences of steroid abuse.
I assumed that the damage steroids do went without saying.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:What rooster said.

Creatine "just" allows you to recover quicker. That's where you compared it, maybe unwittingly.

Steroids such as nandralone, testosterone and the male hormone variants do not "just" do anything. They have serious medium term health issues.

EPO is hailed as risk free. Who knows? No sample testing is done on users because surprisingly they don't identify themselves.

Micro dosing may well have equally long/medium term issues.
I think you are hanging too much on one word, getting what I meant by it wrong and reading implied terms into a late night online post, which were neither intended nor, in my opinion, present. I think we should just leave it and move on
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:What rooster said.

Creatine "just" allows you to recover quicker. That's where you compared it, maybe unwittingly.

Steroids such as nandralone, testosterone and the male hormone variants do not "just" do anything. They have serious medium term health issues.

EPO is hailed as risk free. Who knows? No sample testing is done on users because surprisingly they don't identify themselves.

Micro dosing may well have equally long/medium term issues.
I think you are hanging too much on one word, getting what I meant by it wrong and reading implied terms into a late night online post, which were neither intended nor, in my opinion, present. I think we should just leave it and move on
Just admit it Snipe, you were not clear in what you said and people would think you think steroids are fine to use the way you posted it. Remember some clampit journalists get stories here and next thing you know there will be a story that some people think steroids are a great way of assisting in training for kids.
Rory Best