Ticking Time Bomb?

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Ticking Time Bomb?

Post by Beattiespastie »

Whilst watching the MCB v Rainey game on Saturday past a friend of mine commented on the ridiculous size that players at schools senior rugby seem to be these days. My friend and I are both around 6'1 and 100 kg but some of the lads on the pitch made us look small. At 18 I was the same height and about 11.5 stone dripping wet and I could eat for Ulster and Ireland! There is definetly an unhealthy obsession with protein shakes and unecessary bulk these days in our young schools players and that is bound to have a serious long term impact on their health and well being? During my sons tenure in senior rugby he was constantly told to bulk up especially over summer periods... " eat plenty and hit the gym hard and don't worry so much about the fitness as we will sort that in pre season"....my son played at around 94kg and it didn't suit his body type.... He is now 80 kg and much fitter and healthier for it. Go to any of the coming schools cup games and you will see what I mean... Huge packs that look like senior players and some of the backs are huge as well... All well and good if you go on to play senior rugby but surely not good in the long run to be carrying so much weight on young bones?
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Re: Ticking Time Bomb?

Post by 222toHounslow »

I'd fecking love a Beatties pastie right now.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

It goes beyond protein shakes as well which is a chief concern to me. The proliferation of anabolic steroids in young men has no doubt crept into the school gym as well as the local gym. Some of the gains in young players over a short period of time is highly suspicious and it's evident from the physique that all is not as it should be. A great line about the pint of milk and chicken sandwich because that is all a young lad needs.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Beatties pastie supper with a pint of buttermilk.... Now that's a fast weight gain programme... Memories of childhood... Walking from my grannies house in Tavanagh Street to watch the Blues on a Saturday with my da was always a great one especially when a trip to Beatties on the way home was involved :D Peter Rafferty punching players off the ball and the wonder of Billy Murray tearing defences apart down the left wing and Lindsay McLeowns mullet....glory days :D
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Odd thread guys, interesting and amusing, surely a first. Now catch yer selves on.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Odd thread that started off tidy enough and then tummies started rumbling and all I could think of was a portion of battered sausages with a quart of vinegar atop wrapped in newspaper. During my sons quest for weight gain he started using Maximuscle protein shakes but clearly it was having adverse side effects as he said toilet trips became akin to passing a bowling ball through a billiard table pocket. He gained his best weight by simply eating healthy and lots of it however it seemed a pointless exercise as they were hammered into the ground the whole month of August and all the weight gained vanished.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Odd thread guys, interesting and amusing, surely a first. Now catch yer selves on.
If yer not interested, just pi$$ off and don't read it or contribute to it. >seeya

:duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Odd thread guys, interesting and amusing, surely a first. Now catch yer selves on.
If yer not interested, just pi$$ off and don't read it or contribute to it. >seeya

Are you blind and stupid ya fackin' muppet, didn't I say how interesting it is ya big chube ye.

Sorry Grumps, lost the run of myself there ..............but catch yerself on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Are you blind and stupid ya fackin' muppet, didn't I say how interesting it is ya big chube ye.

Sorry Grumps, lost the run of myself there ..............but catch yerself on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You said the thread was interesting. You didn't say you were interested.

Your follow up suggested you weren't .... ya chube ya! :roll:

:lol:
I'm not arguing -
Boutye
Initiate

Post by Boutye »

Pre Christmas Ulster ran an open audition at the Queens complex, they were looking for front row only and they openly stated the bigger the better and not to worry if you had no experience, it was size they were after. I was at a recent u17/u18 squad match and a couple of the guys that were parachuted in were there, they were 6"1, 6"2 and probably about 18st plus, but were very out of shape and completely out of depth.

This sends out tthe totally wrong message on all levels.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Did I forget to tell you to shut up? >EW
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Did I forget to tell you to shut up? >EW
Can't you remember? :lol:
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OK so.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Wise words Baggy.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Thanks Snipe, means a lot coming from you. :thumleft: