Olding signs new long-term deal with Ulster

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Olding signs new long-term deal with Ulster

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://cdn3.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 473_I1.JPG[/tag][tag=content]Ulster have received a major boost after it was announced that centre Stuart Olding has signed a new long-term contract with the province until the summer of 2019.

The 22-year old has made 39 appearances for Ulster since his debut against Leinster in Dublin back in December 2011 and has scored four tries for his province in that time.

The versatile back, who can play at out-half and full-back as well, made his Irish debut in their 2013 tour of North America and then made a second appearance at home to Georgia in the 2014 November Series where he scored his first international try.

He has endured a difficult time with injury having picked up two serious injuries to his knee which both ruled him out for extended periods.

However Olding returned earlier this season against Treviso where he scored Ulster’s bonus point try in that win and he has also featured against the Dragons and Glasgow in the last couple of weeks as his return from injury continues.

The back is considered to be one of Ireland’s greatest young talents and he expressed his delight at being able to commit his long-term future to stay in Belfast.

“I’m delighted to be with Ulster for another few years and it’s a boost to sign the extension so soon after my return from injury,” Olding said.

“I’ve been unfortunate with injuries over the past couple of seasons but the medical staff and management team here at Ulster have been outstanding and they have provided me with phenomenal support during some tough times.

“I believe Ulster Rugby is in a really good place at the minute and it’s a great organisation to be part of. The set up here at the Kingspan Stadium is first class in terms of the facilities, the quality of players we have – and indeed those that we have coming in, the staff, and the supporters.

“I look forward to contributing to the success of Ulster over the coming months and years.”

Les Kiss, Ulster’s Director of Rugby, also commented on his excitement to see Olding commit his future to his home province, commenting, “To have Stuart committing to Ulster Rugby is another huge boost for us.

“He has worked incredibly hard to come back from injury and he is starting to recapture some of his best form. The determination and character he has shown in returning from his most recent injury speaks volumes about him as an individual and he is exactly the type of person we need within the squad.

“He is one of the most talented players that I have ever worked with and he is a superb asset to this organisation. I’m sure that he will have a massive impact for us over the next few seasons.”

Ulster’s Operations Director, Bryn Cunningham, also commented on what a boost it was for Ulster to hold onto one of their young homegrown stars on a long-term deal.

“There is an identified group of young indigenous players that we believe will be the fulcrum of Ulster Rugby for many years to come, driving standards both on and off the pitch,” Cunningham said.

“Stuart is one of those players. To have a player of his immense talent, highlighted in his recent outing against Glasgow, commit for a further three years, is a testament to what we are building and what Stuart wants to be a part of.

“Already an international, and finally over his unfortunate run of injuries, we believe he will now push hard for many more caps in what is a very competitive area.”
[/tag]
Dharper
Steward

Re: Olding signs new long-term deal with Ulster

Post by Dharper »

Super super talented player and seems to have a great attitude and really tough mentally to deal with his set backs. Ireland can't create line breaks? Don't tell me there isn't enough talent with olding mccloskey henshaw Payne and ringrose not to have a serious attacking centre partnership and attacking fullback. Once We lose to England let's look to blood guys in the last 2 games, the tour to SA and the autumn internationals ready for next seasons 6 nations.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Olding signs new long-term deal with Ulster

Post by Russ »

Id like to see Henshaw and Ringpiece in the centre in South Africa

The Stuarts, Luke and Darren can all feign injury