Super Rugby 2016

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Super Rugby 2016

Post by Neill_M »

Good win for the Canes 25-9. Defence was very sound, used the ball well. Will now host the final next Sat.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

One thing is the same as in the NH - home advantage is BIG!!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Setanta wrote:One thing is the same as in the NH - home advantage is BIG!!

It is Santa, and is the biggest weakness of Super Rugby, every year it's the same, the home team almost always win.

As I've said before, it was a brave and good decision by Pro12 to nominate a final venue. And what did they get last season, about 35000 at Murrayfield, easily a record for a final.

MInd you I see Hook is calling the PRO12 “a dead horse", claiming no-one cares about it, and he insists the Irish teams must find a way "out of the cesspool”. George must not have had enough attention recently. He suggests, "joining the English" or "setting up a new all-Ireland club league", the latter should rake in the Euros :roll: Times I like George, times he's a twizzleballick. :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

A new all Ireland Club league? Without the provinces you mean? That sounds a bit bonkers alright.

Can't see the English sharing their league with anyone apart from the Welsh maybe. Some kind of super duper european league I wouldn't rule out but no doubt it would primarily be a carve up involving England and France.

Missed both the SF's but the results look about right. HIghlanders have had some tough tough games and to travel to SA for a semi-final against a very good side was likely to be a step too far. Interesting that the Lions rested their their team in the final pool game which meant they missed out on top spot and home advantage for the final. Will that rest still be of benefit or the will the Canes just be too strong at home? I'd say the Canes should be okay.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote:A new all Ireland Club league? Without the provinces you mean? That sounds a bit bonkers alright.

Can't see the English sharing their league with anyone apart from the Welsh maybe. Some kind of super duper european league I wouldn't rule out but no doubt it would primarily be a carve up involving England and France.

Missed both the SF's but the results look about right. HIghlanders have had some tough tough games and to travel to SA for a semi-final against a very good side was likely to be a step too far. Interesting that the Lions rested their their team in the final pool game which meant they missed out on top spot and home advantage for the final. Will that rest still be of benefit or the will the Canes just be too strong at home? I'd say the Canes should be okay.
That was bizarre given the importance of home advantage. I haven't gone back to the earliest days but in the last 10 years no away team have won outside their own country.

As for the future of Irish rugby, it's not great, the only thing that could potentially save the day is some sort of British Isles League or European League, it's very hard to see the PRO12 ever getting enough money to be competitive, though in terms of standards, it is not as grim as some make out. It does need to address having too many games when the big players aren't available.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

The decision by the Lions to rest players proved costly. Canes won a scrappy game in wet NZ weather with both tries from mistakes by the Lions and good Canes defence. Different game on the high veldt in Jo-Burg on a firm pitch........
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Neill_M wrote:The decision by the Lions to rest players proved costly. Canes won a scrappy game in wet NZ weather with both tries from mistakes by the Lions and good Canes defence. Different game on the high veldt in Jo-Burg on a firm pitch........
On the other hand if they didn't rest players would they have been wrecked after a trip to Argentina and lost the QF or SF anyway? Given the travelling, there needs to be a few rest weeks in super rugby. Thought the Lions played really well in the 1st half but it just wasn't their night. Shame about the weather as in dry conditions it could have been a really good game.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

This dung done yet?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:This dung done yet?
What is it?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?