Reidy and Lutton agree new deals

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Reidy and Lutton agree new deals

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://cdn.wm.co.za/sport/rugby/1022.66 ... ns_cup.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster Rugby have confirmed that flanker Sean Reidy and tighthead prop Ricky Lutton have signed new contract extensions with the province.

Reidy, 26, has agreed to stay with Ulster for another two years while 29-year old Lutton has signed on for another year.

Reidy joined the province on what was initially a short-term deal prior to the 2014/15 season from Counties Manukau in New Zealand, and despite only making eight appearances he earned an extension to his contract in Belfast.

The back row, who is Irish qualified through his grandmother, has featured heavily in Les Kiss’ side this season, making 15 appearances and scoring three tries since the turn of the year.

Lutton, who is a former pupil of Ballyclare High School, returned to Northern Ireland in 2011 to play for Belfast Harlequins having spent time in New Zealand featuring for Canterbury.

The prop earned the title of “Club Player of the Year” in May 2012 and earned a development contract for the following season. Since then he has made 44 appearances for Ulster including 19 so far this season.

“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time at Ulster and I have settled really well in Belfast,” Reidy commented on his contract extension.

“I believe that my performances have continued to improve over the last 18 months and I look forward to pushing on even more. I have got a good run of games this season and I am hoping to knuckle down and get even more game time.

“It’s an exciting time to be involved with Ulster and things are very promising for the future.”

Lutton also expressed his delight to be staying in Belfast, saying, “I’ve really enjoyed being part of this environment for the past few years.

“We are building something special here and I want to be involved in that and contribute in a positive manner. I feel that I can add value to the squad as we challenge for silverware in the near future.”

Ulster’s Director of Rugby Les Kiss welcomed the news that both Reidy and Lutton had committed to the province for further seasons.

“It’s great news for us as Sean and Ricky have played key roles for Ulster in both the PRO12 and in Europe this season,” he said.

“Sean has shown his class this season, particularly over the last couple of months when Chris Henry was unavailable. He has backed himself since he arrived at Ulster and he has developed into a really good player for us in the back row. He is a dedicated professional and someone that the other players really want to play for.

“Ricky will provide us with a very viable option at tighthead prop, along with Wiehahn [Herbst] and Rodney Ah You. He has gone from strength to strength for us and he has really stepped up this season and put in some very good performances.”
[/tag]
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Reidy and Lutton agree new deals

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'm delighted to see Reidy signing up. A while back he was lumped in with Cross, Butterfingers and McCooomash category of highly unimpressive back rowers. But he has kicked on and is currently up there with Chad.