Ulster v Connacht Friday 1st April 7:35pm BBCNI/TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Ulster v Connacht Friday 1st April 7:35pm BBCNI/TG4

Post by Neill_M »

So this is a pretty important game obviously. Did you know the last time Connacht won at Ravenhill was November 1960 - hard to believe. Ulster Rugby have said all three of the Irish internationals were injured and were not available for selection for Friday's game so the injury update for this game will be interesting reading. AOC and Nick Williams will surely be out.

What sort of side will Connacht send up? Had a tough physical game v Leinster - bound to fresh up the team. They have their Euro QF next week, now that they are top of the tree and looking for a home semi final - has that become a distraction? Regardless of who is selected, it will be a v tough game for Ulster. With Edinburgh and Cardiff closing in for the Top 6 - a win would be huge. Looking forward to this game, more than a bit worried about it also mind :D
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Connacht Friday 1st April 7:35pm BBCNI/TG4

Post by Snipe Watson »

Neill_M wrote:So this is a pretty important game obviously. Did you know the last time Connacht won at Ravenhill was November 1960 - hard to believe. Ulster Rugby have said all three of the Irish internationals were injured and were not available for selection for Friday's game so the injury update for this game will be interesting reading. AOC and Nick Williams will surely be out.

What sort of side will Connacht send up? Had a tough physical game v Leinster - bound to fresh up the team. They have their Euro QF next week, now that they are top of the tree and looking for a home semi final - has that become a distraction? Regardless of who is selected, it will be a v tough game for Ulster. With Edinburgh and Cardiff closing in for the Top 6 - a win would be huge. Looking forward to this game, more than a bit worried about it also mind :D
It's a massive game for both sides. Connacht are exploring new territory with fixture congestion. Will be interesting to see how they manage the next few weeks. They may view this as a chance to rest players as we are not a threat to their league position and may prioritise other fixtures. Against Munster, Glasgow in Galway and away to Treviso. Hope so.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Very nervous about this game. It probably won't define our season but it might define the next one.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Only an Ulster win will suffice. Nothing less is acceptable now.
Letting Stevenson go early to Exeter looks a work of genius now.
Exterminate all rational thought
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Neill_M wrote:So this is a pretty important game obviously. Did you know the last time Connacht won at Ravenhill was November 1960 - hard to believe. Ulster Rugby have said all three of the Irish internationals were injured and were not available for selection for Friday's game so the injury update for this game will be interesting reading. AOC and Nick Williams will surely be out.

It's a massive game for both sides. Connacht are exploring new territory with fixture congestion. Will be interesting to see how they manage the next few weeks. They may view this as a chance to rest players as we are not a threat to their league position and may prioritise other fixtures. Against Munster, Glasgow in Galway and away to Treviso. Hope so.
Sums up how absolute dross we really are....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Deraless wrote:Very nervous about this game. It probably won't define our season but it might define the next one.
Nervous yes but looking forward to watching at least one team try and play rugby the way it was intended to be played....pat Lam and Connacht I :salut: :salut: :salut: you
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So who's available? Fictitious injuries aside, are we looking at?:

McCall Best Lutton
Diack FVDM
Hendo RW Reidy
RP PJ
AT Olding Cave Gilroy
JP

Bench:
CB RH AW
Henry
Ludik McCloskey L Marshall Shanahan ( or McCloskey LM to start? Either works for me)

No passengers- drop Scholes, Smallp, no Browne Windsor or wasters. Assuming AOC and FNW gone. Reidy playing better than Chad so he starts. Hendo to balance backrow. Henry to 7 and Reidy 8 when RW's battery goes.
We could be in trouble scrumtime, as Buckley is about the best loose head in Ireland behind McGrath.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I do hope that before the match our CEO takes the floor of the changing room with a flip-chart and impresses upon the chaps that our business projections for the 2016-17 season look a heck of a lot less healthy when the computer model factors Challenge cup rugby into the equation: less corporate packages, less sponsorship, fewer units of merch shifted.

(PS I don't think that. I want somebody to do a Phil Bennett Wales v England, or the 1974 South African Sports' Minister for the final Lions test kinda team talk, whereupon we go out and actually bate somebody half dacent for a change)
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Next Friday nights capitulation will cure that unbridled optimism for ye.
We really do just need to pluck the low hanging fruit, play our percentages, and be accurate in everything we do dontcha know? And that's the tactics for UR's pre match drinkies well and truly sorted then
ASPIRE TO BE GREAT! WHERE LEGENDS ARE MADE! apparently..... :duh:
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Could some one do me a favour please, I'm still banned from Ulster Rugby's social media sites but I have noticed that they are advertising for 3 head coaches for club sides in the province, the sides are Ophir RFC, Limavady C&RFC and Grosvenor RFC....could someone please put forward Doakie and Clarke for the positions, though I think that would be beyond them as well
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:So who's available? Fictitious injuries aside, are we looking at?:

McCall Best Lutton
Diack FVDM
Hendo RW Reidy
RP PJ
AT Olding Cave Gilroy
JP

Bench:
CB RH AW
Henry
Ludik McCloskey L Marshall Shanahan ( or McCloskey LM to start? Either works for me)

No passengers- drop Scholes, Smallp, no Browne Windsor or wasters. Assuming AOC and FNW gone. Reidy playing better than Chad so he starts. Hendo to balance backrow. Henry to 7 and Reidy 8 when RW's battery goes.
We could be in trouble scrumtime, as Buckley is about the best loose head in Ireland behind McGrath.
One of those is not like the other.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Henry has to start. His performance was one positive from last week.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

AJ MacGinty ruled out for four weeks.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Dave wrote:AJ MacGinty ruled out for four weeks.
Nathan White going through return to play protocols too so he may miss out, as may Jake Heenan who withdrew from last week's game during the warm-up. Ultan Dillane available for selection though.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Any word on our injuries or indeed "injuries"?