Big Merv's nature watch.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:01 pm British_Airways_Concorde_G-BOAC_03.jpg
Is that the legendary Dodo, Dave?

Male or female?

Nice pic. :thumleft:
No it's a concorde (airplane).
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:43 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Male or female?

So it is! :shock: :shock: :duh: :duh:

I knew it was one of them extinct things.

There's not much gets past you. :thumleft: :salut:

I should have known better, having even been inside one, way back in the day. I haven't been inside a dodo. :banghead:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Male or female?

I should have known better, having even been inside one, way back in the day. I haven't been inside a dodo. :banghead:
Nice one. What was the experience like?

Not the dodo Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:51 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Male or female?

Nice one. What was the experience like?

Not the dodo Image
I plead the 5th. :lol:

Oh, okay, it wasn't all you might expect - it was in a museum and wasn't going anywhere. It was surprisingly small inside.

Other than that, it was quite unremarkable.

Still, it's better than never having been on one.
I'm not arguing -
Fintan
Novice

Post by Fintan »

According to Guide to Irish garden birds there are substantial populations of Greater Spotted Woodpeckers in Counties Down and Wicklow.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Fintan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 pm According to Guide to Irish garden birds there are substantial populations of Greater Spotted Woodpeckers in Counties Down and Wicklow.
They came to Down first! about 15 years ago, after being extinct in Ireland for about 300 years. They arrived in Wicklow about 3 years later. They seem to be thriving.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:43 am
Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:00 am Spoke to a guy on Friday who has lesser spotted woodpeckers in woodland at his house in county down
There was a massive increase in the population in Belvoir Forest last year, Definitely one of our most successful recent immigrants. We're coming into the season where you hear and see them.
big mervyn wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 pm
Fintan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 pm According to Guide to Irish garden birds there are substantial populations of Greater Spotted Woodpeckers in Counties Down and Wicklow.
They came to Down first! about 15 years ago, after being extinct in Ireland for about 300 years. They arrived in Wicklow about 3 years later. They seem to be thriving.
Okay, so we know there are Greater Spotted Woodpeckers here, and I thought Snipe and Merv had confirmed that the Lesser Spotted Woody Woodpecker was now here too ... but is that what we are agreed on, or are we back to Greater Spotted only? :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Apparently they thrive on the readily available nesting materials in Norn Iron.

They build M A S S I V E nests from pallets which the locals gather up for them from spring to early summer. The adult birds then sometimes adorn the nests with material they gather up. When the young birds have fledged by early July, they vacate the area back into woodland and leave the locals to tidy up their nests - by burning apparently to prevent the transmission of bird flu.

True fact that! :thumleft:

Lesser spotted woodpeckers are spotted less because they don't build such obvious nests.
Attachments
Greater spotter woodpecker nest.jpg
Greater spotter woodpecker nest.jpg (99.62 KiB) Viewed 898 times
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:33 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:00 am Spoke to a guy on Friday who has lesser spotted woodpeckers in woodland at his house in county down
There was a massive increase in the population in Belvoir Forest last year, Definitely one of our most successful recent immigrants. We're coming into the season where you hear and see them.
Okay, so we know there are Greater Spotted Woodpeckers here, and I thought Snipe and Merv had confirmed that the Lesser Spotted Woody Woodpecker was now here too ... but is that what we are agreed on, or are we back to Greater Spotted only? :scratch:
Sorry. Didn't read Snipe's post properly. No lesser spotted in Ireland far as I know but maybe Snipe's neighbour has spotted something new. They're extremely rare even in England.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:27 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:33 pm
Sorry. Didn't read Snipe's post properly. No lesser spotted in Ireland far as I know but maybe Snipe's neighbour has spotted something new. They're extremely rare even in England.
That concurs with my understanding.

I thought from what snipe and yourself had written previously that things had changed.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Heard my first (GREATER spotted I assume!) woodpecker yesterday - appropriately enough on the first day of astronomical Spring. They drum like crazy at this time of year. It was in Belvoir woods up towards the golf course. Must take a decent camera down and see if I can get a photo.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:58 pm Heard my first (GREATER spotted I assume!) woodpecker yesterday - appropriately enough on the first day of astronomical Spring. They drum like crazy at this time of year. It was in Belvoir woods up towards the golf course. Must take a decent camera down and see if I can get a photo.
You sure it wasn't Rory, on a rare visit home, banging his head off a tree?

Or his driver off a tree?
I'm not arguing -
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bullfinch outside our house in BT4 today.

Never seen one before.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Greater Spotted Woodie in Scotland, we don't get the Lesser Spotted either, I use to see them in Leicestershire when living there, we also get the Green Woodpecker.
ImageGreat Spotted Woodpecker
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

You can tell that to big Jim. He swears he has lesser spotted woodpeckers in his woodland in Co Down.