UR staff dishing out supporter advice

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Midget6
Novice

UR staff dishing out supporter advice

Post by Midget6 »

Some of us here on the ground in Parma are a little bit annoyed that a member of UR staff advised last night that the well known and well loved "Lest We Forget" fleg that goes everywhere with UR fans is "not appropriate". He didn't have time to tell the stripey blazer boys (who own it) in person but made it clear to a number of us what,presumably, the formal UR line on this fleg is.

Bit saddened by this individual's sense of self importance and happy he is the moral guardian of UR fans. I won't name him but he should feel really proud of himself this morning.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: UR staff dishing out supporter advice

Post by Russ »

Did he say why it was not appropriate?
The stripey blazer boys are some of my favourite fellow supporters on away trips
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Really, that does not surprise me, I hope that matter will be raised. Who was the member of staff?? I think he should be named, is he a member of staff or a Comittee man, there's a difference, ones a paid idiot the other is an idiot who does it for self importance but is still an idiot.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Here we go.........
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Is this because it's deemed in his opinion that there is possible sectarian connotations with it?
I've noticed the increasing amount of UR merchandise without the red hand on, particularly the beenies. Suffice to say, my hats got a bit fat :red: on.
Let's keep the political correctness and politics in general out of rugby.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I have never owned a Norn Iron fleg nor to the best of my knowledge, held or waved one. I assume the jerk was referring to it being the "highly sectarian" NI Fleg.

Listen up jerk, that fleg is beloved of many of us, not for what the fleg is, but the sentiments on it so I'd suggest you go and sit on your thumb. Tosspot.

Just another confirmation that several or many involved at Spanners haven't a fu@king lulu.
lestweforget.png
lestweforget.png (212.08 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I have never owned a Norn Iron fleg nor to the best of my knowledge, held or waved one. I assume the jerk was referring to it being the "highly sectarian" NI Fleg.

Listen up jerk, that fleg is beloved of many of us, not for what the fleg is, but the sentiments on it so I'd suggest you go and sit on your thumb. Tosspot.

Just another confirmation that several or many involved at Spanners haven't a fu@king lulu.
lestweforget.png
100% agree Baggy

Maybe this is the fallout from Burt Bakarat saying the provincial flag was red and white with a red hand on it?

If UR are going to censor the crowd then they can go feck themselves
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

It's just a typically unnuanced reaction from UR. Blunt tools........
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It is the silly little crown on top of the hand. It appears to be balancing on the fingertip of the redhand. There is no way anyone could balance a crown, which are quite weighty, on your hand like that. It is a little far fetched in my view. I understand the objection. Just put a sparky teddy on the front covering the offensively inplausable image.

Edit: ok more so it is balancing on the star. Equally unlikely.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:It's just a typically unnuanced reaction from UR. Blunt tools........
If unnuanced is a synonym for buckstupid, I'm with ye.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:It's just a typically unnuanced reaction from UR. Blunt tools........
If unnuanced is a synonym for buckstupid, I'm with ye.
Near enough
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:Maybe this is the fallout from Burt Bakarat saying the provincial flag was red and white with a red hand on it?
Funny. I saw Burt having a coffee with a "stripey blazer boy" last weekend.

Seems a bizarre over reaction even by UR standards. These things are all about context and I struggle to think why anyone would have complained about this :scratch:

The Norn Irn flegs are rare now (the regular one by the players' tunnel seems to have disappeared). Not mad on them myself but this one has some merit.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:Maybe this is the fallout from Burt Bakarat saying the provincial flag was red and white with a red hand on it?
Funny. I saw Burt having a coffee with a "stripey blazer boy" last weekend.

Seems a bizarre over reaction even by UR standards. These things are all about context and I struggle to think why anyone would have complained about this :scratch:

The Norn Irn flegs are rare now (the regular one by the players' tunnel seems to have disappeared). Not mad on them myself but this one has some merit.
I will always bring mine to away games

It is after all the team colours
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I'm intrigued.....what exactly was the UR staff members objection, and was it the UR party line or their personal opinion? Suffice to say I'm looking forward to seeing the flag displayed prominently this afternoon on the TV.
At the end of the day it's a tribute to NS, it should be taken in the spirit it was made in.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Last year I was advised to stop flying my Confederate Flag when residing in my Merikan pad so it was only a matter of time before someone started to push this agenda onto those that still choose to fly the non-exclusive white one in place of the all inclusive yellow one. Next I won't be able to wear my kilt because it is Ulster-Scots and has no place at an Ulster Ruby game should it offend non Jocks.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU