Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: I find Paula Radcliffe particularly whiny and bitchy.
Carl Lewis was the same. Oh now.....
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
He was juiced up too.

I assume you are talking about Linford Christie the cheat.
Last edited by Snipe Watson on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

That was worth sitting up for. I take great pleasure in Gatin's failure.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:That was worth sitting up for. I take great pleasure in Gatin's failure.
So much for Michael Johnson's earlier analysis - Gatlin seeing his opportunity and querys about Bolt's fitness. Could be a surprise medal for somebody with Blake also gone. Wonder what leMerritt has left for the final?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Shan wrote:
big mervyn wrote:I don't like the snide and disparaging remarks about Semenya including some in the good old Beeb (you know who you are Paula Radcliffe).

At the end of the day, she seems to have all her weemin's bits and just happens to have a huge amount of natural testosterone in her system.

There's even some debate as to whether that confers an advantage, but even if it does, what's the difference between that and otherwise naturally "advantaged" athletes like unusually lanky twats in the high jump or those of East African origin who are loaded with twitch fibres?

As soon as the British and the Yanks start talking about suspicions of their own athletes they may be worth listening to. They won't even mention the confirmed cheats they've had over the years, never mind those who have connections to known cheats, including some who have won medals in this Olympics. Hypocrites but that is hardly surprising.

In contrast almost everyone in Ireland has discomfort at best, contempt at worse for 3 time Gold medal winner Michelle Smith because of a subsequent tampering with a test which landed her with a ban. As far as our media and the majority of folk are concerned those medals aren't real even though they are officially.

Then we have certain 100 metre olympic gold medal winners.......
Its nice but rare to hear someone connected to athletics having any sort of a gripe about dopers Shan, British or otherwise, though you make a good point.

The contrast between our swimming and athletics pundits reaction to condemning drugs cheats is vast.

When Gatland was booed Lewis and Johnson amazingly were having a pop at the crowd for having the audacity expressing their displeasure at a sporting cheat being allowed to compete and winning a fecken medal.
Bolt himself appeared bemused by the crowds displeasure and said as much.

Now put yourself in the position of a clean athlete who had trained night and day and sacrificed everything to compete, yet there are always suspicions about your performances due to these drugs cheats like Gatland.

Would you be so benevolent?
Didn't think so.
At best you'd say feck all.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Sporting bingo from the Beeb.

How many of these have you tried? (any level).

I got 18

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016/sports
16 if you actually do mean "tried"

A lot, lot less, if you man in any competitive or even just an organised manner.

Most of these at a very, very low level - for example, canoeing is something I did just a few times for fun in open water in the Irish Sea off Donaghadee when a yoot - not a particularly sensible thing to do without a life jacket when you're a non-swimmer. But then when was I ever sensible? :lol:

Swimming is also included in my 16 though,if you allow for use of a buoyancy aid or three. :D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Sporting bingo from the Beeb.

How many of these have you tried? (any level).

I got 18

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016/sports
16 if you actually do mean "tried"

A lot, lot less, if you man in any competitive or even just an organised manner.

Most of these at a very, very low level - for example, canoeing is something I did just a few times for fun in open water in the Irish Sea off Donaghadee when a yoot - not a particularly sensible thing to do without a life jacket when you're a non-swimmer. But then when was I ever sensible? :lol:

Swimming is also included in my 16 though,if you allow for use of a buoyancy aid or three. :D
Your interpretation of the criteria is similar to mine. I did exclude equestrianism even though I have been on a horse as the events demand considerably more than that. I included shooting because I have shot at targets.

Cricket isn't in the Commonwealth games btw, although ten pin bowling potentially is.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Not being one to boast but I was actually a bronze medalist in the Irish championships synchronised swimming singles event a few years back.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:
He was juiced up too.

I assume you are talking about Linford Christie the cheat.
Correct and the British authority did everything they could to ensure he could keep competing even after a positive test. On the second one the IAAF told them to get stuffed and banned him. Makes me smile when I hear the same crowd who were salivating over the likes of Dwain Chambers, even after his ban, going on about those nasty eastern euros and others with all their cheating.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:That was worth sitting up for. I take great pleasure in Gatin's failure.
Agreed. Delighted that fecker was knocked out. Pity he won a medal in the 100 metres.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bazzaj wrote: Its nice but rare to hear someone connected to athletics having any sort of a gripe about dopers Shan, British or otherwise, though you make a good point.

The contrast between our swimming and athletics pundits reaction to condemning drugs cheats is vast.

When Gatland was booed Lewis and Johnson amazingly were having a pop at the crowd for having the audacity expressing their displeasure at a sporting cheat being allowed to compete and winning a fecken medal.

Now put yourself in the position of a clean athlete who had trained night and day and sacrificed everything to compete, yet there are always suspicions about your performances due to these drugs cheats like Gatland.

Didn't think so.

Totally agree with you. My view is that known cheats should be booed out of the stadium. I'd have some leeway for someone caught once, depending on what the substance was, as sometimes accidents do genuinely happen. In the case of this guy he has done everything bar inject himself as they are lining up at the start of the race. Not only should he be booed but he should be booted out as well.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bazzaj wrote:Not being one to boast but I was actually a bronze medalist in the Irish championships synchronised swimming singles event a few years back.

Gas. Or should that be - g'way ya langer. :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Not being one to boast but I was actually a bronze medalist in the Irish championships event a few years back.

Gas. Or should that be - g'way ya langer. :D
Is synchronised swimming singles not a bit of a sporting oxymoron. :scratch:
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:
bazzaj wrote: Its nice but rare to hear someone connected to athletics having any sort of a gripe about dopers Shan, British or otherwise, though you make a good point.

Didn't think so.

Totally agree with you. My view is that known cheats should be booed out of the stadium. I'd have some leeway for someone caught once, depending on what the substance was, as sometimes accidents do genuinely happen. In the case of this guy he has done everything bar inject himself as they are lining up at the start of the race. Not only should he be booed but he should be booted out as well.
Bit hypocritical of the crowd cheering the Brazilian drugs cheat sprinter though.
Big Neville Southall