Belfast restaurants

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Belfast restaurants

Post by justinr73 »

Time to fire up this thread again now.

Had a superb chicken madras at the East Bengal in Ballyhackamore last week. Just don’t ask the stocky young waiter if he likes cricket.

Deanes Loves Fish was decent enough, as you’d expect, and Wine and Brine more than lived up to its reputation (didn’t mind walking back to the station at half ten on a grand day in the middle of summer but.....)

Couldn’t really fault the fry up at McKees on Monday morning. I was intrigued that their ‘catch of the day’ was smoked haddock though.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The scampi in Aldo’s in Ardglass - done in a light batter - is sublime. Plenty of fish in the chowder too.

I can also recommend the stuffed courgette flowers and the mackerel at Oliver’s.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So, Six By Nico - why wouldn’t you?

My tip would be to share a bottle. Saves you thirty quid as against the wine flight option.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 pm
My tip would be to share a bottle.
I appear to be on the wrong forum.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 pm
Justin's been trying to raise the tone here with his fine eatin' an' drinkin' exploits.

Maybe we should resurrect the "Browner Memorial: what are you eatin'" thread?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Trying and failing!

Just putting the finishing touches to dinner.

Roast chicken from a place in Bangor, Comber potatoes with onions cooked in chicken stock and creamed leeks.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Burger Burger on Stranmillis is ideal for those with a(n un)healthy appetite.

Some of you on here may need the burgers to be cut into small pieces.

I recommend sharing a bottle after having a cocktail upon arrival (and previously sharing a bottle and having a couple of beers at the theatre and a few pints watching the Lions).
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:39 pm
BR wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 pm
Justin's been trying to raise the tone here with his fine eatin' an' drinkin' exploits.

Maybe we should resurrect the "Browner Memorial: what are you eatin'" thread?
To be fair, I have liked reading Justin's views on eating establishments. In another life, I enjoyed the better quality restaurants about the place. I have never been adverse to little, haute cuisine portions, just provided I had my tea before I went out and we can stop for a kebab on the way home. ;)

I don't see why this thread and the Browner Memorial thread cannot peacefully coexist for the attention of our tastebuds.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:33 am Burger Burger on Stranmillis is ideal for those with a(n un)healthy appetite.

Some of you on here may need the burgers to be cut into small pieces.

I recommend sharing a bottle after having a cocktail upon arrival (and previously sharing a bottle and having a couple of beers at the theatre and a few pints watching the Lions).
What did you see at the theatre? I went to Dracula at the Lyric. A valiant effort by a young (unpaid) cast but I felt they were somewhat let down by the overblown script and clumsy direction (f*ck! you'd almost think I knew what I'm talking about :lol: ). Dracula himself was quite good, as was Renfield. Seward and Harker less so though infinitely better than Keanu Reeves!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It was indeed Dracula and I agree entirely with your review!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:18 pm Dracula himself was quite good,
Now you're just talking shïte.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Was in Taylor and Clay last night. The flame grilled steaks were wasted on me as I don't eat red meat anymore but the other 3 thought they were excellent.

They left a £28.50 bottle of wine off the bill so that was a bonus.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:28 pm Was in Taylor and Clay last night. The flame grilled steaks were wasted on me as I don't eat red meat anymore but the other 3 thought they were excellent.

I am surprised and disappointed that you accepted the "bonus" ?
Was this an offer on their part or a mistake?

S if the latter, surely any good morally honest UR supporter would have pointed out the mistake and paid up?
Otherwise there is the possibility that some poor waiter had to make up their loss
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:29 am
big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:28 pm Was in Taylor and Clay last night. The flame grilled steaks were wasted on me as I don't eat red meat anymore but the other 3 thought they were excellent.

I am surprised and disappointed that you accepted the "bonus" ?
Was this an offer on their part or a mistake?

S if the latter, surely any good morally honest UR supporter would have pointed out the mistake and paid up?
Otherwise there is the possibility that some poor waiter had to make up their loss
Didn't actually notice until I got home and examined the (still) rather substantial bill. Definitely a mistake. I'd be surprised if anyone has to make up the shortfall though. We were served by several people and it wasn't written down on the original order. We asked for it later and we think they must have thought that it had already been ordered.

The real crime here is charging £28.50 (plus a tip of course) for a bottle of wine that costs £9.99 in the offie and they probably paid £8 for.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

... actually, I'm thinking of investing in a high end eatery that will surely take Belfast by storm.

It will feature a very restrictive menu of incredibly pretentious cuisine and ludicrously overpriced wine. The staff will be rude almost to the point of being offensive. There will be a hefty service charge which will be clearly visible on the menu to anyone in possession of an electron microscope and staff will be encouraged to morally blackmail clients into offering an additional voluntary gratuity. Tables may be booked a minium of 2 months in advance. There will be a £50 non refundable deposit per person and the booking can be cancelled by us at any time with no explanation.

I am going to call it W@nk and the patrons will be be known as W@nquers.

It's a sure fired winner. I'll be batin' them aff with a sh!tty breadstick (they'll have to pay extra for that of course)
Big Neville Southall