Belfast Giants

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Belfast Giants

Post by Shan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Justin

Ignore the naysayers and go with an open mind and make your own mind up. I've been once (possibly twice, i really can't remember) and from that you can guess that it didn't do much for me, but I know plenty of sane, reasonable people who enjoy it.

We are all different and enjoy different things (even the sports snobs who think only rugby is real sport), so give it a try and decide fer yersel.

Oh, but I wouldn't waste any money on foam hands etc just yet. I went with no special preparation and wasn't struck down. If you decide it's worth going back for more, you can then also decide for yourself having been there if there is anything you specifically want to improve your enjoyment.

Just watch out for flying pucks. I believe if you catch one, you can keep it.Why you might want one is another matter entirely - just be careful not to catch one between the eyes (or legs) :?

Feck Grumps - This is so nauseating I could have written it. :D

As for ice hockey - Never went and don't have any interest in ever going. Saw it on TV before and thought it was a pile of sh1te. As interesting as normal hockey really which is about as interesting as someone detailing a day's fishing on their own. Played a form of hockey in my younger days - used that puck thing instead of a round ball but it was on a hard surface indoor. Awful game. Nearly as bad as basketball.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This on TV?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Shan wrote:
Shan wrote:Justin

Ignore the naysayers and go with an open mind and make your own mind up. I've been once (possibly twice, i really can't remember) and from that you can guess that it didn't do much for me, but I know plenty of sane, reasonable people who enjoy it.

We are all different and enjoy different things (even the sports snobs who think only rugby is real sport), so give it a try and decide fer yersel.

Oh, but I wouldn't waste any money on foam hands etc just yet. I went with no special preparation and wasn't struck down. If you decide it's worth going back for more, you can then also decide for yourself having been there if there is anything you specifically want to improve your enjoyment.

Just watch out for flying pucks. I believe if you catch one, you can keep it.Why you might want one is another matter entirely - just be careful not to catch one between the eyes (or legs) :?

Feck Grumps - This is so nauseating I could have written it. :D
Fixed ......you just did :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I went once as part of a study course. It's like most American sport, you have to buy into the whole culture to enjoy it. I'm afraid I didn't, or maybe that should be couldn't. I worry that sport on this side of the pond is going the same way, an 'event' to be manufactured.

I was at Windsor Park for the last two NI games. The powers that be had a competition to produce a new song for the fans to sing. They tried to teach it to us. Lead balloon. I assume they've learned their lesson. As we all know at Ravenspan, you can't manufacture atmosphere.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

solidarity wrote: I was at Windsor Park for the last two NI games. The powers that be had a competition to produce a new song for the fans to sing. They tried to teach it to us. Lead balloon. I assume they've learned their lesson. As we all know at Ravenspan, you can't manufacture atmosphere.
No they are still trying at Ravenspan :roll: >flog >flog >flog
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

are we not Belfast Giants in disguise?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote:Do you like F1?
Nope. Not in the slightest.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Our friends from Cookstown are picking us up after the rugby. I forecast a pizza at Villa Italia, followed by the ice hockey and then something to wash it down.

I've seen American footy at Nashville and baseball at Seattle and Boston which I quite liked, whilst the other half and her mate played field hockey at Queens so it'll be alright I'm sure.

Could be interesting back at the flat as the second bedroom only has a single bed in there at the minute.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:
Dave wrote:Do you like F1?
Nope. Not in the slightest.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Our friends from Cookstown are picking us up after the rugby. I forecast a pizza at Villa Italia, followed by the ice hockey and then something to wash it down.

I've seen American footy at Nashville and baseball at Seattle and Boston which I quite liked, whilst the other half and her mate played field hockey at Queens so it'll be alright I'm sure.

Could be interesting back at the flat as the second bedroom only has a single bed in there at the minute.
Good man Image

Enjoy your day, and hopefully the Ulster game doesn't ruin it!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I thought this was about our match day experience?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

justinr73 wrote: Could be interesting back at the flat as the second bedroom only has a single bed in there at the minute.
While that may well be more entertaining than the slippy-hockey or even the rugby, please do not feel you have to fill us in on the details.

The kids and like-minded adults who I observed at my only visit to the Giants seemed only interested in the off-ice entertainment, and very few seemed to have more than an occasional glance at the 'action'. The exception being when a 'fight' broke out. It seemed the only time that passions were aroused in the stands. I left feeling that the parents should have just been more honest and taken their 9 year olds to the boxing.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well it wasn't as bad as all that.

Credit to the young man next to me though who, in a fine example of teenage rebellion and angst, didn't even look up from his phone when a scuffle broke out on the ice 6 feet from us.

The Giants gave at least 115% and took a hard-earned 2 nil lead, let one in with a minute to go but held on for the W.

Plenty of big units in the audience (which made me feel at home). Too many nachos and carbonated drinks I think (not in my case).

Nice touch after the first goal when everyone chucked some cuddly toys on the ice for the sick children at Christmas.

I reckon there are worse ways to pass a couple of hours and it's only across the road from the fine whiskey selection at McHughs.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So now that I live here, and the neighbours have season tickets for the Giants, I’ve been been to a few more games.

Tremendous stuff tonight. Won the cup in sudden death extra time, after being two nil down, in front of 6,500.

Hope it isn’t the only silver wear to end up in Belfast this season.

Baggy’s advice still holds true though!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:51 am So now that I live here, and the neighbours have season tickets for the Giants, I’ve been been to a few more games.

Tremendous stuff tonight. Won the cup in sudden death extra time, after being two nil down, in front of 6,500.

Hope it isn’t the only silver wear to end up in Belfast this season.

Baggy’s advice still holds true though!
Are you ever in the house Justin?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Aye - just this minute back from the Schools Cup!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Great 1 nil win tonight against Salzburg in the European Cup.

Was disappointed that that the primary school kids behind me didn’t join in with me singing ‘You can stick the Sound of Music up your Brennan’.