Belfast Giants

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Belfast Giants

Post by justinr73 »

Not seen ice hockey before but they're at home at 7pm after the Clermont game so I've booked up.

Row B on the south side.

I presume it's a decent night out?
Do i need to buy one of those foam hands or something?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Belfast Giants

Post by Russ »

Just bring whatever you now bring to Ravenhill
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's fake and not a real sport. Just be annoying and you'll fit in.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I'd expect nothing less from the cynical sisters - thank you ladies.

Millions of Cannucks can't be wrong, right?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Do you like F1?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Ice hockey is a sport for people who have no grounding in sport and even less interest.It is about as relevant in Ireland as polo,kabadi or cross country skiing only altogether more American in context >6shooter .yuk
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Dave wrote:It's fake and not a real sport. Just be annoying and you'll fit in.
Sorry Dave, you talking about the Giants or Kingspan?
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

justinr73 wrote:I'd expect nothing less from the cynical sisters - thank you ladies.

I actually really like the ice hockey
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Russ wrote:
justinr73 wrote:I'd expect nothing less from the cynical sisters - thank you ladies.

I actually really like the ice hockey
I'd put it in the same category as basketball and squash.
Games that are possibly fun to play but as much fun as
someone's holiday snaps to look at.
Complete opposite of rugby :lol:
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:Not seen ice hockey before but they're at home at 7pm after the Clermont game so I've booked up.

Row B on the south side.

I presume it's a decent night out?
Do i need to buy one of those foam hands or something?
Justin, one of my best mates is addicted to it and in a matey way I usually reluctantly go to one game a year with him. Mind you I've dodged it for the last two years, even getting myself confined to hospital for five nights to avoid it. It's a crap night out, you'd be better lying in bed biting your nails.

However you are booked and so need to prepare, you will need the following to survive the torture:

- an enormous dumpy woman who has bedraggled hair that looks in need of a good wash.
- said dumpster should, in the absence of a silly giants shirt, wear a giant shirt that completely drowns the shape lying within.
- you will need to brush up on the lyrics of Cotton Eyed Joe and be prepared to sway about with an absence of rhythm. Failing that, you could just pogo.
- you should either bring earmuffs or be prepared to listen to some nauseating short fat Spide screaming bullshite into a far too loud microphone
- finally, bring plenty of beer money, the beer is pish, but it's the only thing will get you through the whole horrible unrewarding experience.

Good luck pal. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

sound advice Baggy.

Sorry Justy but it really is shyte. I got a number of freebie tickets in the early days but it wasn't enough to convince me to actually pay out money to go watch it.

They are bunch of big girls with their digging matches too.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Justin

Ignore the naysayers and go with an open mind and make your own mind up. I've been once (possibly twice, i really can't remember) and from that you can guess that it didn't do much for me, but I know plenty of sane, reasonable people who enjoy it.

We are all different and enjoy different things (even the sports snobs who think only rugby is real sport), so give it a try and decide fer yersel.

Oh, but I wouldn't waste any money on foam hands etc just yet. I went with no special preparation and wasn't struck down. If you decide it's worth going back for more, you can then also decide for yourself having been there if there is anything you specifically want to improve your enjoyment.

Just watch out for flying pucks. I believe if you catch one, you can keep it.Why you might want one is another matter entirely - just be careful not to catch one between the eyes (or legs) :?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Justin, I've only been to one game and, to be honest, I didn't even enjoy it as much as Baggy.

But, as Grumps says, give it a go and you just might desert Ulster Rugby. Actually,come to think of it, I might give it another wee try.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

It's about as enjoyable as an asthma attack in the middle of good coitus. It has a noise which reminds me of a Primary School's first full rehearsal for the school play. Imagine a mattress full of cats being squashed by a diesel roller which has been sitting outside for five winters and never greased or oiled.
Simply hateful, and that's just the noise.
The Mercan imported failures go through the motions, just like Balls on strictly (I'm told) but they dont show and Ferris like commitment.
I've been dragged by well meaning relatives to the real thing in Toronto and even there, with a much higher average aged 'audience' I found myself wishing I was at Spanners, or even The Oval.
The crack was nothing like Spanners, or the Oval and no amount of Coors (chemical mix masquerading as beer) could make it worthwhile, but please don't let me put you off it :roll: you go and enjoy yer good self and just be careful that nothing falls on you.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Was there once on a freebie and got pished and still thought it was shiite
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best