Big World of Rugby

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Big World of Rugby

Post by solidarity »

Not rugby but...
If you've got nothing to do, Big Jet TV is watching planes land (or not land) at Heathrow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQh1FrbOc0 Fascinating.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Still plenty of money sloshing around out there: https://www.nzrugby.co.nz/news-and-even ... lver-lake/
Not much chance of any of it coming this way, I guess.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

solidarity wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:31 pm Still plenty of money sloshing around out there: https://www.nzrugby.co.nz/news-and-even ... lver-lake/
An interesting development. Silver Lake Partners are a US-based private equity/VC outfit, similar to CVC (who of course own chunks of the 6N and URC). Wiki tells me that SLP also own 33% of the Australian Soccer League and 12% of Manchester City.

Both SL and NZRFU will be doubtless keen to maximise their return with NZ/grow its value for potential sale to the institutional investors and SLP's exit, which given that much of the ABs high profile comes from playing regular matches.... and especially those vs their closest rivals (who are the Springboks not the Wallabies). So it would strike me that it will be in the interests of both NZRFU and Silver Lake to nail down the Tri-Nations for a lengthy period of time - and perhaps throw a bone to Argentina by including them in it too. Which will rather knock a hole in any potential Springbok participation in the 6N. Of course, SA will doubtless have bid up the price of their participation in the Q-Nations as much as they can, however I'll bet that this is now resolved so as to allow the value of the overall vehicle (and Silver Lake's %) to be determined, and thus publicised. The sale of a further chunk to institutional investors is a novel step - perhaps a more structured and transparent version of the 'informal arrangement' that Munster have with the ?1941 Group? who support some players wages ? It would however mean even greater emphasis on what players do on and off the pitch. And there are the rumours that one of the reasons van Graan moved on was because of "a lack of clarity around who actually made selection decisions"/off-pitch interference.

It is also a useful model of a single-union arrangement. I would think that if the IRFU (or any NH union) could find a way to have the Silver Lake cake alongside the CVC one then they'd jump at the chance (the SRU passed a motion allowing this in 2016). 8.75% isn't a large slice for NZD$200m UK£100m) and I have little doubt that the vast majority of the future increase in value is not going to earned by selling more AB shirts to the inhabitants of NZ..... I would suspect that there will be some legs put into some form of World Club Challenge (e.g. Finalists of EPCR v Finalists of Super Rugby).... and that is facilitated by the SA sides being in the EPCR next season. Once again leaves the Argentinians out in the cold though ? (Or are the Jaguares in the new Super Rugby ?)
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

WestDr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:53 pm
solidarity wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:31 pm Still plenty of money sloshing around out there: https://www.nzrugby.co.nz/news-and-even ... lver-lake/
An interesting development. Silver Lake Partners are a US-based private equity/VC outfit, similar to CVC (who of course own chunks of the 6N and URC). Wiki tells me that SLP also own 33% of the Australian Soccer League and 12% of Manchester City.

Both SL and NZRFU will be doubtless keen to maximise their return with NZ/grow its value for potential sale to the institutional investors and SLP's exit, which given that much of the ABs high profile comes from playing regular matches.... and especially those vs their closest rivals (who are the Springboks not the Wallabies). So it would strike me that it will be in the interests of both NZRFU and Silver Lake to nail down the Tri-Nations for a lengthy period of time - and perhaps throw a bone to Argentina by including them in it too. Which will rather knock a hole in any potential Springbok participation in the 6N. Of course, SA will doubtless have bid up the price of their participation in the Q-Nations as much as they can, however I'll bet that this is now resolved so as to allow the value of the overall vehicle (and Silver Lake's %) to be determined, and thus publicised. The sale of a further chunk to institutional investors is a novel step - perhaps a more structured and transparent version of the 'informal arrangement' that Munster have with the ?1941 Group? who support some players wages ? It would however mean even greater emphasis on what players do on and off the pitch. And there are the rumours that one of the reasons van Graan moved on was because of "a lack of clarity around who actually made selection decisions"/off-pitch interference.

It is also a useful model of a single-union arrangement. I would think that if the IRFU (or any NH union) could find a way to have the Silver Lake cake alongside the CVC one then they'd jump at the chance (the SRU passed a motion allowing this in 2016). 8.75% isn't a large slice for NZD$200m UK£100m) and I have little doubt that the vast majority of the future increase in value is not going to earned by selling more AB shirts to the inhabitants of NZ..... I would suspect that there will be some legs put into some form of World Club Challenge (e.g. Finalists of EPCR v Finalists of Super Rugby).... and that is facilitated by the SA sides being in the EPCR next season. Once again leaves the Argentinians out in the cold though ? (Or are the Jaguares in the new Super Rugby ?)
Thanks Westie, the info came from the Leaders In Sport website - it's fascinating for anyone who's interest in sports business and finance.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:14 pm
WestDr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:53 pm

Thanks Westie, the info came from 'Leaders In Sport' - it's fascinating for anyone who's interest in sport business and finance.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Five years old now but interesting to see which sport comes out top of the UK 'integrity in sport' index. I certainly wouldn't have guessed.
https://portland-communications.com/pub ... ndex-2017/
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Looks like the next big thing in telivised sport is... chess!

From: Leaders in Sport - Broadcasters Disrupters Bulletin.

How is technology changing the way chess is consumed?
Technology has completely transformed the game; it was there when the internet started, and now that there is more bandwidth, there is more data, one of the great things that you can use to get into chess, is watching some of the streamers. These are guys on Twitch, on Youtube, who can actually go onto an online chess club, challenge someone to play them, and then talk about the game as they’re playing. And that’s actually quite entertaining because if I’m streaming, then I’ll be playing a game against someone and I’ll be explaining the moves, I’ll be explaining what it is I’m trying to do. And one of the really nice things about this format is that you can telestrate. So new technology, even though chess isn’t making an inroads into terrestrial television – that's just an issue for people who run terrestrial television, frankly – it's exploding on video everywhere else except terrestrial television, and that’s because we can now telestrate the game.

How does that work in practice?
When you watch, say, football or soccer or cricket or tennis, you’ve got certain graphics that can illustrate moves. So, for example on Sky Sports when they’re looking at the set-up of the teams you’ll see diagrams and one of the commentators will say ‘well this defender was in this position and this attacker was click click click’. Now, you can do the exact same thing with chess. If I want to explain why someone is being checkmated, I can say well that G8 King – highlight that G8 square – is being attacked by this queen in B3 – and then I’d draw an arrow from B3 to G8, and the knight on H5 is guarding the queen in front of G11. And I can bring the game to life and explain it in very simple terms, to people who don’t know anything about chess.

What other broadcast innovations would you point to?
The other thing that happens is when you’re trying to broadcast any sport, the essential component is that people have to know the score, they want to know who’s winning. Now in football and rugby and tennis this is easy – you have the scoreboard, and you have the score; it’s very easy to do It used to be very difficult to do in chess - someone would say, “well, I think white has the advantage” but ok, how much? Or why? Now what we have is the scorebar. So if white’s winning, the scorebar goes above 0, so if he’s got a small advantage it might be 0.5, if he’s winning it might go as high as 3 or even higher - that means the game is gone. Even if you don’t play chess, you can look at the scorebar and know who’s winning. And we’ve now developed, for the broadcast of live games lots of camera angles; in fact we’re even doing things like checking people’s heart rates and things to see what kind of pressure they’re under, which I think is something they do in poker broadcasts as well. We can bring the game to life in ways that we couldn’t do before because of technology. We’ve got the broadcast compatibility, you’ve got the streaming ability, and of course we’ve got this ability to play chess with anyone, anywhere, at anytime.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Anyone who's signed up for Rugby Pass can get some free beer: https://www.beer52.com/RUGBYPASS
Sign up for RugbyPass now for free, apply for your beer, cancel the beer siubscription. I got half price or better on wine with deals like this for years. Memberships are dead easy to cancel.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Beer safely received and membership cancelled.

While we're on beer and cynical manipulation, have a look at https://www.prweek.com/article/1804489/ ... -criticism

High minded albeit naive campaign, virtue signalling or not so clever marketing ploy?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

solidarity wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:30 pm Beer safely received and membership cancelled.

While we're on beer and cynical manipulation, have a look at https://www.prweek.com/article/1804489/ ... -criticism

High minded albeit naive campaign, virtue signalling or not so clever marketing ploy?
It backfired on them, when it was revealed they signed a deal with a supplier who is putting their beer into hotels in Qatar in time for the World Cup....
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Neill_M wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:16 am
solidarity wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:30 pm Beer safely received and membership cancelled.

It backfired on them, when it was revealed they signed a deal with a supplier who is putting their beer into hotels in Qatar in time for the World Cup....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Great game of League going on at the moment. Samoa just scored a cracking try to lead Engerland 16-12 after 50mins of their World Cup semi.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Samoaaaaaa!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall