Big World of Rugby

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Big World of Rugby

Post by solidarity »

From time to time I come across stuff on the 'business' and other non-playing aspects of rugby (and other sports) and I wondered if a topic on this might be of interest during the silly season.

Here's an item on World Rugby attempting to make an impact on China.

https://leadersinsport.com/sport-busine ... gby-china/

I wonder what might happen if the Chinese government decides, 'We're going to give this a go'?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Big World of Rugby

Post by solidarity »

Some wisdom from Stuart Lancaster at the Leaders in Sport conference in Chicago:

The school of hard knocks
Stuart Lancaster, Senior Coach at Leinster Rugby, kicked off proceedings with a candid account of his time as Head Coach of the England men’s national team. His tenure ended in acrimony following England’s departure from the Rugby World Cup the nation hosted in 2015. Yet for all the disappointment of the two narrow but fatal losses that led to their elimination, Lancaster had, during his time at the helm, taken a misfiring team, blooded new talent, and instilled a culture where players and fans alike talked of the team with pride. The lessons he took from those times, learnings he is using to inform his future coaching career include:
-He would have benefited from a general manager figure as his role went from 50% coaching to a mere 5% as the World Cup approached. There were big decisions to be made and he shouldered much of the burden alone.
-With his attention diverted elsewhere, Lancaster felt he could have trusted his instincts as a Head Coach more than he ultimately did.
-The experience made him consider a more sustainable balance between leadership, coaching and management as he went into his next job at Leinster.

Found on: https://leadersinsport.com/performance/ ... t-chicago/
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

My take on this is if a 20 point home defeat to Australia leading to England's world cup exit is described as "narrow", I would question the credibility of the article.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I tell you what I find interesting Jizzer, that a guy like Lancaster, either off his own bat or through Leinster heads off to a course
which by the sounds of it, has guys near the top of a range of sports to see what he can pick up to bring to his own performance.

Wonder how many Ulster coaches past and present have felt the need to do something similar. In my view, it speaks well of Lancaster.

As for the description of his England losses, though I had the same notion as you, it's hardly written by him, more likely some Seppo to whom 20 point rugby losses are a bloody good show.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Yep it definitely sums up the perception of Lancaster for me Bagster.
Good coach but out of his depth as a manager certainly at his time with England.

He did however get a bit of all important integrity and humility back into the England shirt.
Its those foundations that Eddie Jones has built on since.

I think the manner in which Lancaster has come back from that experience shows his character.
He will utilise his negative experiences into learning which will stand him great stead in the future.
A lesser person.would have pointed the finger elsewhere but Lancaster took it on the chin so he could evolve as a coach/manager.
Good luck to him.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Forgive me for an ignorant question. What's our structure? Does Les deal with Lancaster's 5% or his 95%? And Jonno? I'm a simple soul... keep it simple for me.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

solidarity wrote:Forgive me for an ignorant question. What's our structure? Does Les deal with Lancaster's 5% or his 95%? And Jonno? I'm a simple soul... keep it simple for me.
Bryn

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
solidarity wrote:Forgive me for an ignorant question. What's our structure? Does Les deal with Lancaster's 5% or his 95%? And Jonno? I'm a simple soul... keep it simple for me.
Bryn

Joe
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
Bryn

Joe
Feck

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Les does everything.

Jonno takes the blame for restarts.

Peel maintains p's leaf blower.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

All is now crystal clear and I sleep easily in my bed knowing that world domination is now less than a season away. :fleg:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

It's a great point solly, in most set ups there is a complete transparency and understanding as to everyone's role.
When it comes to us we haven't a clue.
The waters are so muddied.
What we see on the pitch just reflects that.

Using Sarries as a template the opposite applies.
Everyone at the club knows their role, understands it and no one person is allowed to feel more important than the next from Small man to the tealady.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Big World of Rugby and other sports

Post by solidarity »

I wondered if it was just me that was confused. Maybe it isn't. Even reading the erudite comment on URSC over the past few years has made me no clearer. Surely somebody, somewhere must know who's supposed to do what. There must be job descriptions and contacts. It would be great if they would let the rest of us in on the secret.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Was there a 'meet the coaches' event recently/coming up? Did/will anyone ask?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I can design and document an operating model for them. Might even do it in my spare time