Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Big World of Rugby

Post by solidarity »

I have sympathy for the lad:
https://theconversation.com/england-rug ... the%20same

Says something about where we are that games that should be played for fun can bring about mental health issues. If it was possible, might be worth all sport genuinely amateur.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

The Ireland U20s will return to Musgrave Park in Cork for their three 2024 U20 Six Nations games as Richie Murphy's squad step up their preparation for next year's championship.

Musgrave Park has been the home of the Ireland U20s since 2019 with Murphy's side enjoying great success in the Cork venue and claiming back-to-back Grand Slam titles in front of sold out crowds.

There will be three games played in the 2024 Championship in Musgrave Park with Italy visiting in round two on Friday February 9 (7.15pm), Wales in round three on Friday February 23 (7.15pm) and a final round clash with Scotland on Friday March 15 (7pm).

So Musgrave Park (capacity 8,000) gets the under 20's games. Announced in a week when Munster confirmed that the Leinster and Crusaders matches have sold out. What do Ulster get? The Women's international against fellow strugglers Scotland.
Humps would need to get his finger out as soon as he takes over as IRFU doesn't give a fèck about Ulster.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Jetstream wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:22 pm The Ireland U20s will return to Musgrave Park in Cork for their three 2024 U20 Six Nations games as Richie Murphy's squad step up their preparation for next year's championship.

Musgrave Park has been the home of the Ireland U20s since 2019 with Murphy's side enjoying great success in the Cork venue and claiming back-to-back Grand Slam titles in front of sold out crowds.

There will be three games played in the 2024 Championship in Musgrave Park with Italy visiting in round two on Friday February 9 (7.15pm), Wales in round three on Friday February 23 (7.15pm) and a final round clash with Scotland on Friday March 15 (7pm).

So Musgrave Park (capacity 8,000) gets the under 20's games. Announced in a week when Munster confirmed that the Leinster and Crusaders matches have sold out. What do Ulster get? The Women's international against fellow strugglers Scotland.
Humps would need to get his finger out as soon as he takes over as IRFU doesn't give a fèck about Ulster.
Sure you will get a pint of Guinness at the Ireland Women's game with the Guinness now sponsoring the Women's 6N >EW

Indeed re the 20s, the senior games HAVE to be played at Lansdowne Road but the IRFU don't move the 20s games around the grounds and give them all to Cork etc. Galway doesn't even get games in the Women's 6N.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

In a non shocking twist, nice guy Eddie Jones signs 4 year deal as Japan head coach starting in 2024.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I didn't realise things had got this bad: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67699604
I'd come across some of the incidents before, but seeing them all together. Sad reading that we're going the way of wendyball. I'm afraid that, if you raise the stakes in sport, this sort of thing follows pretty closely behind.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:04 pm In a non shocking twist, nice guy Eddie Jones signs 4 year deal as Japan head coach starting in 2024.
Not warmly welcomed in some places:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67714247
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I'm happy when this change works in favour of weaker nations but not when it helps guys move to New Zealand: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/five-pla ... TER,LZ52,1

Nice to see one of the weaker nations benfitting from it: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/former-i ... es-report/ :lol: :lol: :lol:
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Looks like te Americans are having a reset. https://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/us ... ina-163227
To be fair to them, they are not afraid to try new things.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

In passing, I heard it suggested today that baseball was taken from the UK to the USA by British troops.

I also heard that Lacrosse was invented in Ireland.

Who'd have guessed?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:50 pm In passing, I heard it suggested today that baseball was taken from the UK to the USA by British troops.

Who'd have guessed?
Baseball definitely originated in the UK. Jane Austen mentions it in one of her books long before the Septics took it up.

Never heard of the Irish Lacrosse one though
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 pm
solidarity wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:50 pm In passing, I heard it suggested today that baseball was taken from the UK to the USA by British troops.

Who'd have guessed?
Baseball definitely originated in the UK. Jane Austen mentions it in one of her books long before the Septics took it up.

Looking around and the Irish origins of lacrosse are seeming a bit suspect. Always question anything you hear on the Antiques Road Trip, especially if it's said by a member of Lacosse England.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:59 pm
big mervyn wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 pm

Who'd have guessed?

Looking around and the Irish origins of lacrosse are seeming a bit suspect. Always question anything you hear on the Antiques Road Trip, especially if it's said by a member of Lacosse England.
All right, all right, my mistake, not paying attention. It was croquet that came to England from Ireland in the 19th century. At least that's one theory.
I'll shut up now.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

https://theconversation.com/childrens-h ... lain%20why

I started to read this with a sneer ready to use. Now I'm not quite so sure. 'Abuse' is too strong but, if we are 'professionalising' kids' rugby, maybe we do need to look at a few rule changes for them.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:46 am https://theconversation.com/childrens-h ... lain%20why

I started to read this with a sneer ready to use. Now I'm not quite so sure. 'Abuse' is too strong but, if we are 'professionalising' kids' rugby, maybe we do need to look at a few rule changes for them.
No kid should be forced to play rugby. They'd be no use on the team anyway if they didn't want to be there.
Cross-country was an optional alternative when I was at school 50 odd years ago.
I think some schools these days offer things like community service as an alternative to any sport.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Kids should be forced. It's the only way to save Ulster. Treat it like national service. It will instil discipline and work ethic. End this woke madness.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?