Ulster A team named for British & Irish Cup opener

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid Ulster ROB
Novice

Ulster A team named for British & Irish Cup opener

Post by Mid Ulster ROB »

Ulster A team to play Scarlets Premiership Select, Saturday 14th October at Banbridge RFC, 2.30pm:

(1-8): Andy Warwick, Adam McBurney, Ross Kane (Capt), Jack Regan, Peter Browne, Caleb Montgomery, Aaron Hall, Joe Dunleavy;
(9-15): Aaron Cairns, Johnny McPhillips, Angus Kernohan, Rory Butler, Callum Patterson, David Busby, Jack Owens.

Replacements: Zack McCall, Michael Cromie, Matthew Dalton, Greg Jones, Jonny Stewart, Brett Herron, Michael Lowry.

Thoughts ?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster A team named for British & Irish Cup opener

Post by Dave »

Good to see Ross Kane back. I'd dispense with Herron at this stage and fully blood Lowry.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cromie over Simpson is huge
No Cave
No GLU

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Cromie over Simpson is huge
No Cave
No GLU

Anyone know when GLU's contract is up? We know Cave is being driven out, what about GLU?

Surplus to requirements? :shock:

I tell you this, GLU may not be in sparkling form, but when there is a fancy-dan Lionel winger in front of him, no better man for knackin' the Lionel's wine in. I had looked forward to a shout of "Ambulance for Christian Wade/Elliot Daly". :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Herron & Lowry, what a waste of a spot, let the young lad play, he might be a player, Herron never will.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
No Cave
No GLU

Anyone know when GLU's contract is up? We know Cave is being driven out, what about GLU?

Surplus to requirements? :shock:

I tell you this, GLU may not be in sparkling form, but when there is a fancy-dan Lionel winger in front of him, no better man for knackin' the Lionel's wine in. I had looked forward to a shout of "Ambulance for Christian Wade/Elliot Daly". :duh:
With you completely on this Baggy. GLU + English winger = English whinger.

By the way, I'm not far from saying that I wouldn't blame ether GLU or Darren if they took a season or two of big money in France. We all know they are Ulstermen to the core but few grand extra in the bank at the end of your career surely beats sitting on, or indeed, a fair way behind, the bench week after week.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Herron & Lowry, what a waste of a spot, let the young lad play, he might be a player, Herron never will.
You cant selecr lowry without herron though. Herrons still in Lowrys pocket from last week

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Herron & Lowry, what a waste of a spot, let the young lad play, he might be a player, Herron never will.
You cant selecr lowry without herron though. Herrons still in Lowrys pocket from last week

https://youtu.be/IY4o_i5PQ54
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Cromie over Simpson could also be a huge mistake...hope he has improved on his travels , especially his mobility, because when he last played for Hinch for a season he was well behind Simpson , Carey , Orr and the now Canadian domiciled, Chris Taylor.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Tighty wrote:
Cromie over Simpson could also be a huge mistake...hope he has improved on his travels , especially his mobility, because when he last played for Hinch for a season he was well behind Simpson , Carey , Orr and the now Canadian domiciled, Chris Taylor.
Cromie was at Banbridge last year

Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Russ wrote:
Tighty wrote:
Cromie was at Banbridge last year

I know he was at Banbridge last year ...and he's been in France and Rotherham since he last played at Hinch, hence my reference '' his travels''

Do try to keep up Russ
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ulster A, sponsored by CD Group, scored 24 unanswered points to secure victory over Scarlets Premiership Select in the opening round of the British & Irish Cup at Banbridge RFC on Saturday afternoon.

The Ulster men started the game with some good early possession but it was the visitors who struck first with a well taken try by winger Tom Prydie on the break after 10 minutes. Two minutes later the Scarlets added another try, this time it was the impressive number 8 Jack Condy who benefitted from a lineout maul inside the Ulster 22.

Having skewed his two previous conversion attempts, Scarlets out-half Rhys Jones fired his side into a 0-13 lead on 20 minutes with a 30 metre penalty in front of the posts.

That score seemed to spark Ulster into life and just two minutes later, following smart offloads by forwards Joe Dunleavy and Ross Kane, Man of the Match Aaron Cairns rounded the last defender to touch down. Within four minutes Ulster crossed the whitewash again when Dunleavy bustled over from close range. Johnny McPhillips converted both tries to put Ulster into a lead that they would not relinquish.

Six minutes before the break McPhillips fired over a penalty from the 10m line to give his side a 17-13 lead at half-time.

There was very little in the way of scoring chances in the third quarter of the game, as Scarlets replacement Jack Maynard missed a penalty opportunity on 57 minutes.

On 62 minutes Ulster A full-back Jack Owens got the crucial score of the game, bursting through the Scarlets rearguard to touch down near the posts - the extra 2 from McPhillips making it 24-13.

As the clock ticked towards 80 minutes, Scarlets piled on the pressure in search of a losing bonus point and their endeavor was rewarded when lock Josh Helps got over in the right corner.

Next up for Ulster is an away trip to play the Cornish Pirates next Sunday 22nd October.

Ulster A Scorers:
Tries: Aaron Cairns, Joe Dunleavy, Jack Owens. Cons: Johnny McPhillips (3) Pens: Johnny McPhillips (1)

Scarlets Premiership Select:
Tries: Tom Prydie, Jack Condy, Josh Helps. Pens: Rhys Jones (1).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cairns MOTM.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: .... Man of the Match Aaron Cairns rounded the last defender to touch down. .....
Dave wrote:Cairns MOTM.
Not sure why, but I suspected that from your previous post Dave.

Thanks for confirming though. :thumleft:

BTW - any idea who man of the match was?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: .... Man of the Match Aaron Cairns rounded the last defender to touch down. .....
Dave wrote:Cairns MOTM.
Not sure why, but I suspected that from your previous post Dave.

Thanks for confirming though. :thumleft:

BTW - any idea who man of the match was?
It was Aaron (Cairns).