And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

volvo
Novice

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by volvo »

"STUPID BOY"
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

volvo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:54 pm "STUPID BOY"
What's his name?

Someone else can supply the punchline.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:03 pm
volvo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:54 pm "STUPID BOY"
What's his name?

Someone else can supply the punchline.
Ok, if nobody else will, 'Don't tell him, Pike!'
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Steve Wright in the afterlife
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Listened to Wrightie on the way home from work. Very entertaining. Highlight of the week was his ask Elvis slot on a Friday afternoon.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:28 am Listened to Wrightie on the way home from work. Very entertaining. Highlight of the week was his ask Elvis slot on a Friday afternoon.
He was always a good alternative to "he who shall not be named" on Radio Ulster.

I started listening to him at Uni c. 1982 on Radio 1 when characters like Mr Angry and Gervais the camp hairdresser featured heavily
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Very sad and shocked by Steve's death - unaturally so. My wife is severely shocked by it.

We met him once - at a Radio 1 Road Show at Carrick, probaby about 1978 give or take a year. - He was very personable, and made you feel like a friend. Maybe that's why the missus is so upset - that he did that with just one brief meeting?

His era of DJ's is coming to an end. Those who didn't go to jail, being shown the door by Aunty Beeb in a display of politically correctness. It's why I find myself listening mostly to Greatest Hits Radio, and Virgin Radio, where most of the R2 outcasts are washing up these days, and Heart 70s (which is refreshingly lacking in DJs) as their listening audiences go up, while BBC stations continue to slide.

Very few of the new DJs (are they still called disc jockeys?) know when to shut up,and love the sound of their own voices, but with Steve, you could listen to what he was saying without feeling, "shut up you prat", and his choice of music was perfect - but maybe that's just because we were from the same era, give or take a few years.

RIP Steve . . . and long live Ken Bruce.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:14 am Very sad and shocked by Steve's death - unaturally so. My wife is severely shocked by it.

We met him once - at a Radio 1 Road Show at Carrick, probaby about 1978 give or take a year. - He was very personable, and made you feel like a friend. Maybe that's why the missus is so upset - that he did that with just one brief meeting?

His era of DJ's is coming to an end. Those who didn't go to jail, being shown the door by Aunty Beeb in a display of politically correctness. It's why I find myself listening mostly to Greatest Hits Radio, and Virgin Radio, where most of the R2 outcasts are washing up these days, and Heart 70s (which is refreshingly lacking in DJs) as their listening audiences go up, while BBC stations continue to slide.

Very few of the new DJs (are they still called disc jockeys?) know when to shut up,and love the sound of their own voices, but with Steve, you could listen to what he was saying without feeling, "shut up you prat", and his choice of music was perfect - but maybe that's just because we were from the same era, give or take a few years.

RIP Steve . . . and long live Ken Bruce.
Steve and his hero and mentor Kenny Everett are actually credited with popularising the "zoo format" that helped kill off the previous generation of "Smashie and Nicey" type DJs.

Greatest Hits is also one of mine 👍 Praise the Lord for DAB radio. 🙌 Still plenty of old school cheesey 70s style DJs on Planet Rock. It's only the music that keeps me going there 😆
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

John Savident has shuffled off this mortal coil.

I say, John Savident has shuffled off this mortal coil.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:29 pm John Savident has shuffled off this mortal coil.

I met him on the London underground once. I say, I met him etc....

Ever notice how you never see "our Ashley" and Jamie Bryson in the same room? Think about it :scratch:
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:18 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:29 pm John Savident has shuffled off this mortal coil.

I met him on the London underground once. I say, I met him etc....

Ever notice how you never see "our Ashley" and Jamie Bryson in the same room? Think about it :scratch:
I saw him in Bishop’s Stortford once, just a few hundred yards from the car park I spotted Rod Stewart. Both lived nearby the East Herts market town I called home
for 24 years.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Today, it's Stanley Bowles:

One of my favourite players in my youth. Loved watching him play for QPR - the nearest anyone could get to George Best for skill and attitude (but still some way short - but then, weren't they all?) :salut:
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:53 pm Today, it's Stanley Bowles:

One of my favourite players in my youth. Loved watching him play for QPR - the nearest anyone could get to George Best for skill and attitude (but still some way short - but then, weren't they all?) :salut:
Nearest to Bestie, but still some way short regarding off field antics too!
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Worthy of a mention alongside Bestie and er Worthy.

I had to laugh when Rashford went on a bender and ended up in Villa Italia ffs.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

And today, joining the celestial football team, Chris Nicholl has signed to play at centre half.

English-born, but gave his all for Norn Iron. :salut:

Part of Espagne 1982, where he played with his cousin, the Norn Iron-born Jimmy. :cheers:

Possibly the only professional player to score 4 goals . . . in a 2-2 draw (Aston Villa v Leicester City.) >you_rock

RIP big Chris.
I'm not arguing -