And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bob Dole - one of the last of US politicians who could be described as statesmen, rather than the numbskulls that proliferate nowadays.

Politicians in America who are honoured by Democrats and Republicans alike, are few and far between, and there's one less on this mortal coil now - despite surviving his war wounds and severing his own jugular . . . apparently.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

From a BBC article on Meatloaf: 'In the lyrics, Mr Loaf says he won't move on...'. No sense that it was tongue in cheek! :roll:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 pm From a BBC article on Meatloaf: 'In the lyrics, Mr Loaf says he won't move on...'. No sense that it was tongue in cheek! :roll:
Mr Loaf :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Barry Cryer gone. Only Graeme Garden left of the five who made 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' such a great half hour.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:43 pm Barry Cryer gone. Only Graeme Garden left of the five who made 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' such a great half hour.
That's something. I was convinced Graeme Garden was Tatey. Must have been thinking of Tim Brooke=Taylor
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:29 pm I was convinced Graeme Garden was Tatey. Must have been thinking of Tim Brooke=Taylor
Goody goody yum yum. :cheers:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:10 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:29 pm I was convinced Graeme Garden was Tatey. Must have been thinking of Tim Brooke=Taylor
Goody goody yum yum. :cheers:
A great show in it's day. Totally mad and it's appeal crossed the generations. Wouldn't mind watching them again. Wonder if the content would pass muster in the current climate?
Big Neville Southall
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

A great show in it's day. Totally mad and it's appeal crossed the generations. Wouldn't mind watching them again. Wonder if the content would pass muster in the current climate?
It looks as if The Goodies is available on Britbox (free 30 day trial) :cheers:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

colind wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:17 pm
It looks as if The Goodies is available on Britbox (free 30 day trial) :cheers:
:thumleft:
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Tom Kiernan RIP. He was a legend when I was a child playing nearly every international for Ireland from about 1960 to 1973. I remember getting his autograph after a club match at Lansdowne Road in the late 60s. He also coached Ireland to their first Triple Crown in a third of a century in 1982. He has not been well for a long time.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Kiernan was one of my early memories as well. For some reason I always thought he looked older than other team members. Like other greats of his era, if he had played today, he would have had twice as many caps because there are so many more international matches these days. I think he had a very short coaching career with Munster but, if you've beaten the All Blacks, there's not much left to top that. Didn't he coach Ireland as well? I don't know what sort of record he had there.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:04 am Kiernan was one of my early memories as well. For some reason I always thought he looked older than other team members. Like other greats of his era, if he had played today, he would have had twice as many caps because there are so many more international matches these days. I think he had a very short coaching career with Munster but, if you've beaten the All Blacks, there's not much left to top that. Didn't he coach Ireland as well? I don't know what sort of record he had there.
I refer you to the answer D4 gave earlier :lol:
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:39 am
solidarity wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:04 am Kiernan was one of my early memories as well. For some reason I always thought he looked older than other team members. Like other greats of his era, if he had played today, he would have had twice as many caps because there are so many more international matches these days. I think he had a very short coaching career with Munster but, if you've beaten the All Blacks, there's not much left to top that. Didn't he coach Ireland as well? I don't know what sort of record he had there.
I refer you to the answer D4 gave earlier :lol:
In my defence, it was 1.00am when I was looking at this. :sleeping:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Starter for 10, fingers on buzzers, no conferring, which popular quiz host ...
Big Neville Southall
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

big mervyn wrote:Starter for 10, fingers on buzzers, no conferring, which popular quiz host ...
Bamber of course. A proper quiz master who understood the majority of the questions and interacted with the contestants on their level. Paxo at the moment is close but no idea who'll take over University Challenge next.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk