The Irish Language - Lets try & learn one word a week.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: The Irish Language - Lets try & learn one word a week.

Post by Bobbievee »

And foisting a dead unused minority language onto a disinterested majority ( and requiring the majority to pay the cost of it through taxes) is not intolerant?
Get a grip
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Flegz
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

removal of an Irish language town sign is a hate crime .

The hate crime was to put the sign there in the first place with out asking whether the majority agree with it you'll always get half a dozen who will say yes to it and claim their rights are being denied -- if they can read English nothing has been denied them.

As I am in my latter days and never learnt Irish or Spanish or a thousand other languages I don't consider those whose language I have not learnt should feel offended -- if they have learnt English it was because they wanted to not because it is the most common Language in Ireland but because it is the most common Language in the USA and GB and sundry other places round the world.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

A bit of online research suggests that there are more active Esperanto speakers in the world than Irish speakers
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:48 am A bit of online research suggests that there are more active Esperanto speakers in the world than Irish speakers
All the more reason to preserve the language!
Hope is not a strategy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I've never met an Esperanto speaker ... although to be fair, I've never been to Esperanto
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:36 pm I've never met an Esperanto speaker ... although to be fair, I've never been to Esperanto
Pretty sure you have Merv!

Takeaway on the Lisburn Road about 15-20 years ago. Last stop for a feed after rolling out of The Bot or The Egg.

You'd never have darkened its doors sober. Chips fired in to a polystyrene box that was quickly disfigured by the molten lava oil saturated contents. Dorty feed.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:12 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:36 pm I've never met an Esperanto speaker ... although to be fair, I've never been to Esperanto

Takeaway on the Lisburn Road about 15-20 years ago. Last stop for a feed after rolling out of The Bot or The Egg.

You'd never have darkened its doors sober. Chips fired in to a polystyrene box that was quickly disfigured by the molten lava oil saturated contents. Dorty feed.
Indeed No9. I do remember that place. Just 'round the corner from the Mad Hatter?I am partial to a dirty kebab but was never actually in there. After my time.

I lived in Eglantine Ave in the late 80s but that was way before it opened. We got our kebabs from a very dodgey van opposite the Welly Park. :puker:

The Hatter was going strong then and still is.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Kebab = Ceibeab

Chips = Scealloga
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

And whilst strictly speaking not relevant to this thread here is a useful link for Esperanto speakers …….

www.Esperanto.ie

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Dalkey = Deilginis which means Thorn Island and surprise surprise there is a wee island just off shore.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Well with the big day just a week away it’s time we learnt that Coronu is the Irish for Coronation.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 pm

I lived in Eglantine Ave in the late 80s but that was way before it opened. We got our kebabs from a very dodgey van opposite the Welly Park. :puker:
Iirc it was a Hardwear shop at that time.

Dirty food around there at that time was probably 'Pizza Pasta Burgers' - up towards the Ashley (I think it may have actually been called mama Mia's or something, but not in our house) or Julie's Kitchen opposite the 4 in hand.

Wasn't the norm for actual fast food places to still be open at closing time back then (except maybe Bradbury place) we were reliant on vans.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:47 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 pm

Iirc it was a Hardwear shop at that time.

Dirty food around there at that time was probably 'Pizza Pasta Burgers' - up towards the Ashley (I think it may have actually been called mama Mia's or something, but not in our house) or Julie's Kitchen opposite the 4 in hand.

Wasn't the norm for actual fast food places to still be open at closing time back then (except maybe Bradbury place) we were reliant on vans.
Nibblers on the Lisburn Road was a regular haunt back then. The Snow White burger with cheese bacon and a fried egg was good packin'.
Big Neville Southall