Japan RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Amiga500 »

Stockdale's defence was mince. Has been for ages. Glossing over it just 'cos hes ours doesn't mean its not true. He occasional nabs an intercept - but for the size of him when do you last remember him mincing someone like Trimble regularly did?
Hendy also blows hot and cold. Again, it happens.

The biggest problem that Ireland have is that they did not evolve their game one inch over the last 3 or 4 years. Even when they beat the ABs last year, it was the same gameplan only executed at an extremely high standard... and that was entirely reliant on the pack being able to carry their way to victory. The backplay away from strike moves was turgid, slow and predictable.

Those asking for a 2nd distributor at full back (be that Payne a few years back or Carbery now) would appear to be vindicated when Steve Hansen moves the twice world player of the year (at 10) to 15 to act as a 2nd pivot. But I suppose he knows f**k all and "in joe we trust".

One thing is for sure now - he'll never coach the All Blacks. Such stagnation in thinking is simply not acceptable to them.

[The return of Rob Kearney to form (within his limitations) meant an alternative was never evaluated. Now they'll look to replace him with Conway or Larmour. Neither of which are the answer to the underlying problem. Carty or Byrne at 10 and Carbery or Lowry* at 15 might work. Not that it'll be given a chance. *although wee Mike is worryingly small.]
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Spot on Amiga500.

As for Lowry being small.....well wee Joey is no giant.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Stephen Ferris makes an interesting point about Joe only selecting players who will diligently stick to his gameplan. He singles out McCloskey saying he can't get a look in because he sometimes plays off the cuff. Certainly McCloskey will look for the offload rather than just falling down and recycling so he could be correct.

Aki for example falls on the ground with the ball in contact and he's Joe's first choice centre.

We've seen it before with Zebo too who wouldn't conform so effectively excluded himself before he fecked off to Paris, outside of emergency cover.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Stockdales ability of intercept tries does mask a poor defence but at the same time if all his line rushing which has now caught him out on a number of occasions isn’t to Joes plan then why has he not been discarded before now..

I haven’t of course analysed his defence like the highly paid gurus that can spend all day at it to see if he is covering for others or simply unable to play as instructed.

Hanson has made hard decisions not only with Ioane but also Smith and other before.. as for size McNicholl is pretty small yet I think he would have set the World Cup alight.

We seemingly have let Ireland down providing three players two of whom go missing and the other who can’t hit a barn door.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

>clapping >clapping >appl :fleg: >appl
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

If you shoot out of the line the way Stockdale attempts to do you need to be fully coordinated with the players around you. Look back at the way Cave and Trimble used to work together to shoot out of the line, Cave would pressure the passer with Trimble following him on the outside either getting the intercept or man and ball. In the NZ game Stockdale came shooting out of the line at one point but there was clearly no communication with Ringrose as they both went to the same man. In that scenario either Stockdale and Ringrose both pressure their men or Ringrose should loop round Stockdale as he presses in.

To be clear I am not absolving Stockdale of blame here as I do think he is at fault as from viewing it looked like RIngrose had no idea he was coming.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

mea97mb wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:37 pm If you shoot out of the line the way Stockdale attempts to do you need to be fully coordinated with the players around you. Look back at the way Cave and Trimble used to work together to shoot out of the line, Cave would pressure the passer with Trimble following him on the outside either getting the intercept or man and ball. In the NZ game Stockdale came shooting out of the line at one point but there was clearly no communication with Ringrose as they both went to the same man. In that scenario either Stockdale and Ringrose both pressure their men or Ringrose should loop round Stockdale as he presses in.

To be clear I am not absolving Stockdale of blame here as I do think he is at fault as from viewing it looked like RIngrose had no idea he was coming.
Then Ringworm needs to buck up his Situational Awareness!!! >seeya :duck:
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

South Africa going for a 6-2 bench again v Wales. Kolbe out injured. Boks are 8 points favourites.

All Blacks have named Scott Barrett at 6 to counter English lineout. Cane on bench. England have gone with Ford and Farrell. NZ 7 points favourites.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Haha boks making it clear how they will play. Wales have a chance i reckon. Just need to take their chances.

Hard to call the england game. England have looked good in the past then turned to custard. Surprised dropping cane but savea has been playing more like a 7 at times anyway.

Should be 2 good games.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Stockdale has not been the same player since his moment of madness over the try line against Leinster in the QF of the Heiny. May be a coincidence but even his attacking game has lost some of its zip since then.

Trimble is a good example of a winger whose positional defence on the wing was badly exposed but how worked hard over time to improve this.

He will always be an asset, but this has to outweigh any liability
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I'll be dressed in white in the morning and cheering on England. Would love to see them give NZ a spanking but a one point win will do.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

England v Wales final.

Wales will be champs.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I want South Africa to win it, but, I think only Wales can beat this England ream
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Vanhelsing
Novice

Post by Vanhelsing »

bloody hell England won,that surprised me,thought AB would have walked it.If they win the WC we will never hear the end of it.
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

thought AB would have walked it?

Why?

No evidence for that baseless assumption considering how England have been playing.

As for not hearing the end of it; if the sides I supported won a World Cup or a Euro Cup I wouldn't shut up about it either.

These days I'm now decidedly FIRFU [never used to be] and as for Ulster well...........I dream on.
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.