Jack McGrath

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Jack McGrath

Post by Dharper »

Hopefully JMcG can get a few games under his belt and we’ll see where he is at, maybe a bit of AIL to get game fitness might be an option depending on covid. Appears contract is up end of season, UR need to be sure of his durability going forward, quality player when fit, but needs that injury free profile.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

I'm a huge fan of Jack's, and would love to be proven wrong but from watching his recent games he looks like he is playing on one leg (I can't tell if he is favouring his new hip or if his old hip isn't far behind the last one). I would be amazed if he makes it back to anything like full fitness. I very strongly believe his signing was an act of bad faith by leinster/irfu. They must have known full well he was headed into long term illness and said sure let ulster rehab it, that's what they're good at.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

allezlesverres wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:54 pm I'm a huge fan of Jack's, and would love to be proven wrong but from watching his recent games he looks like he is playing on one leg (I can't tell if he is favouring his new hip or if his old hip isn't far behind the last one). I would be amazed if he makes it back to anything like full fitness. I very strongly believe his signing was an act of bad faith by leinster/irfu. They must have known full well he was headed into long term illness and said sure let ulster rehab it, that's what they're good at.
Glasses, I can’t agree that we were sold a ‘pig in a poke’! Jack was falling down the pecking order at Leinster because of younger guys coming through and future planning on their part. He has had some excellent games for us and by all accounts is a great influence in the Ulster squad. He seems to be a player who takes longer to recover but I’d take a three quarters fit Jack over most other front rowers!
Hope is not a strategy.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Thought Jack looked better vs saints than he did vs clermont.

He looked like he was running through treacle at time over in France.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Big-al wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:57 am Thought Jack looked better vs saints than he did vs clermont.

He looked like he was running through treacle at time over in France.
Thought he looked better vs Saints too. Only his 2nd part-game after a long lay-off and they were not a gentle re-introduction. I am delighted ulster have him and by all accounts he has bought into what ulster are trying to do. Fingers crossed for a full recovery. Let's give him time.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

From a Leinster perspective, it was well known after the Lions in 2017 that Jack had a hip problem and was unlikely to reach the heights of his career again. I am sure Ulster knew what they were getting. He is a whole hearted and very decent fellow and is still of great value perhaps more as a replacement than as a starter.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dublin4 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:08 pm From a Leinster perspective, it was well known after the Lions in 2017 that Jack had a hip problem and was unlikely to reach the heights of his career again. I am sure Ulster knew what they were getting. He is a whole hearted and very decent fellow and is still of great value perhaps more as a replacement than as a starter.
Thanks D4, from an Ulster perspective it was well known Jack coming up here was a gamble and the hip was known about, certainly was common enough knowledge amongst supporters. It must not have reached everyone.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18