Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Well I am following Micky Martin’s advice from yesterday and avoiding nightclubs.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Hwoodmike
good plan
those young women deserve a break from your attentions
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Good point, well made.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

I am 65 now and got the “free” train for the Leainster v Ulster game but did not feel that content on the train. Very crowded and loadsa folk not wearing masks.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

But a bottle of wine on both journeys helped calm my nerves.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HwoodMike2umate wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:58 pm But a bottle of wine on both journeys helped calm my nerves.
But not the nerves of your fellow travellers. Hope the loos were easy to find! :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

It’s hard to know who or what to believe about Omicron

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/my- ... -committee
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

None of the variants have troubled me so far (and I've definitely been exposed to the virus) but the Pfizer booster knocked me for six for about 24 hours - cold sweats, headache, nausea, weak as water. Had Astrazeneca for the first two jabs with no ill effects whatsoever.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Seen it all now. They are turning twitter spats into articles, ffs.

Those responsible for informing the government ie SAGE have to, it seems, predict the future. Very difficult to know what Covid will do next. It is necessary to look at worst case scenarios. The assumption that Omicron will be as deadly as Delta, has to be a consideration. Sometimes decisions have to be made early without all the data. So time will tell if they get this right. They have followed the science regarding the efficacy of the covid booster. Not sure who is making the decisions anyway. Absolute sh1t show in no 10. It's squeaky bum time, folks. A major effort is taking place to booster everyone. 900k in a day apparently. That is phenomenonal. Tomorrow's headlines will be emphatic.

The data we do have from SA suggests a much lower death rate. The omicron death curve has not followed the case numbers as we saw with Delta. In fact excess deaths have flat lined. Not sure there is any reason to think that the UK will not see a similar trajectory. Increased transmission rates likely indicate an upper respiratory illness that does not routinely severely impact the lungs. As per: The Cambridge Institute of Therapeutic Immunology and Infectious Disease study.

The longterm situation with Omicron is unclear. The increased transmission will likely see a swamped nhs. There are many harms to way up when considering the correct course of action now in attempting to mitigate the impact on critical care services. Lockdowns are now tricky due to the harm to other sections of society. There are harms to the economy. Harms to the vulnerable etc.

Omicron could well be the route back to endemic. Positive signs are there, but the escalation in cases is alarming even if the disease does turn out to be milder. There could be major issues for public services across all the emergency sectors with high numbers of essential workers isolating.

The only thing we can do now is go for the booster vaccination at this stage and keep testing.

Stay safe and SUFTUM.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Well put Dave and Totally agree with your summary. >gimmefive
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Dave wrote:Seen it all now. They are turning twitter spats into articles, ffs.

Those responsible for informing the government ie SAGE have to, it seems, predict the future. Very difficult to know what Covid will do next. It is necessary to look at worst case scenarios. The assumption that Omicron will be as deadly as Delta, has to be a consideration. Sometimes decisions have to be made early without all the data. So time will tell if they get this right. They have followed the science regarding the efficacy of the covid booster. Not sure who is making the decisions anyway. Absolute sh1t show in no 10. It's squeaky bum time, folks. A major effort is taking place to booster everyone. 900k in a day apparently. That is phenomenonal. Tomorrow's headlines will be emphatic.

The data we do have from SA suggests a much lower death rate. The omicron death curve has not followed the case numbers as we saw with Delta. In fact excess deaths have flat lined. Not sure there is any reason to think that the UK will not see a similar trajectory. Increased transmission rates likely indicate an upper respiratory illness that does not routinely severely impact the lungs. As per: The Cambridge Institute of Therapeutic Immunology and Infectious Disease study.

The longterm situation with Omicron is unclear. The increased transmission will likely see a swamped nhs. There are many harms to way up when considering the correct course of action now in attempting to mitigate the impact on critical care services. Lockdowns are now tricky due to the harm to other sections of society. There are harms to the economy. Harms to the vulnerable etc.

Omicron could well be the route back to endemic. Positive signs are there, but the escalation in cases is alarming even if the disease does turn out to be milder. There could be major issues for public services across all the emergency sectors with high numbers of essential workers isolating.

The only thing we can do now is go for the booster vaccination at this stage and keep testing.

Stay safe and SUFTUM.
Totally agree with all this but the problem that is really going to affect us all isn't the serious cases in hospital who are likely to be either non-vaccinated or people with other co-mordidities but all those who are pinged to self isolate for ten days. I am slowly moving towards the view that herd immunity is the way out of this. Big assumption though is that COVID doesn't mutate into a new infection that isn't prevented by current immunity.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

Right on the money there Dave >clapping
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Well, thank goodness that is all largely over.
But I still got some top up jab in December 2023 at the same time as the winter flu jab.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Hopefully Mike was wearing his tinfoil hat. That counteracts the 5g nanoprobes.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?