Dan Tuohy - Rugby 'rotten from the core'

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Dan Tuohy - Rugby 'rotten from the core'

Post by MightyRearranger »

There's an article about Dan Tuohy up on the BBC today. Unfortunately he's just been forced to retire through injury, but he's taken a few parting shots about the state of the game and those that run it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51574698

GIven the majority of his career was spent here it's hard to think he isn't referring at least in part to Ulster. If so I wonder how much of that is down to Logan or if he thinks the problems ran a lot deeper.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dan Tuohy - Rugby 'rotten from the core'

Post by rumncoke »

Touhy may have left Ulster before Logan exposed his hypocrisy and it is easy to lose sight of the fact his Professional rugby career started in England -- where if the truth be told many of the basic foundations of rugby have been removed in the scramble for money and success . The destruction of the Heineken Cup -Bloodgate- Saracens breach of the salary cap- the ever widening search to find ways to increase the TV income to the sport regardless of player welfare.

Tthe unfortunate truth is that the pool of nternational players is shallow approximately 10 nations with at the most 40 players each about 400 players -- with 4 leagues of 14 teams-- about 4000 professional players -- with a load of parasites trying to live off their bruised bodies.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Once had a good chat to him after the clermont game in 2011, his dad & friends had gone over to watch - he came across as a good fella. I always got the impression he enjoyed his time at ulster, although his departure may have left a bad taste ( am I right in saying he wasn’t a big fan of LK, and let it be known - a la Cavey).
Having read the article I suspect it is more likely the reflections of the later part of his career as injury prone injury joker/loan player (not wishing to be unkind - as he was a good player for ulster). Moving around so often in the later part of his career couldn’t have been easy for anyone’s personal life. As long as he got out of the pro game in 1 piece and is set up financially for the next part of his life he’s done well. Now life as a pro player in the championship on £15/20k a yr - that is cut throat!
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

There was a podcast he did with Ulster Rugby Lad. A good listen which goes through his career from the start to finish. I was hoping to hear a bit more about when he left Ulster midseason and what went down. Remember FOLK stating we were well stocked in the 2nd row!! When they got to that bit of his career he said he could not discuss the issues as he has signed a non-disclosure agreement!!!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

See Dan is getting a hounding from kimmage in the independent over a positive drugs test while still under contract in France (despite having career ending injury). Reports that irfu and ulster are looking at the implications for the malone job.

Story behind paywall but transcript on leinster fans forum.

Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

From the interview with ulster rugby lad he described his horror injury, and how he was still trying to recover full function with it. Ultimately he was retired from playing, this was about trying to not be partially disabled for Christ sake. If he didn’t get a job in rugby, having a “feck up” arm isn’t going to help provide for his family.
Pretty gutter journalism for me, very little to review by the Irfu for me.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Having just read the article and comments on the Leinster forum, I can fully recommend it if you suffer from low blood pressure, as it’ll get the blood boiling.
Dan could have been more forthcoming I’d say based on article but it really is a nothing story. Some of the comments are ignorant in the extreme. For me this is a guy knowing his rugby career is over, and trying to make sure he gives himself the max opportunity to be able to use a knife and fork properly again, not get another contract in a “mincing machine” league, with minimal off pitch medical support. feck idiots.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Absolute gutter press, Paul Kimmage has had a chip on his shoulder for quite a while about drug usage in Irish rugby. I wish he could back up his claims rather than drag someones reputation through the mud.

If I've got this correct.

1. Dan Tuohy retired from professional rugby due to injury
2. Although retired he was still registered as a professional rugby player and subject to testing
3. Takes test and fails, he knew he would fail as he was taking steroids for a mangled arm

Open to correction?

A nothing story. Kimmage clutching at straws.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Same journalist has written the same story for the Belfast Telegraph, in their "premium" section, so again behind a paywall.

The main issue seems to be that he took a job coaching at Malone while still serving a two year ban from rugby imposed by the French rugby authorities. He says he thought the ban was exclusive to France. If he didn't tell Malone about his ban when he took the job, he could be in trouble. Given the extenuating circumstances, I hope they go easy on him.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Crazy.. it's not like he was a drug cheat while playing. The circumstances as others have said should be taken into account, surely the ban was banned from playing.. total nonsense..