A History of Irish Rugby......

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: A History of Irish Rugby......

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:53 am
UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm I am trying to find coverage of the 1983 Triple Crown Five Nations but struggling at the moment.
You'll never find it pal, Triple Crowns in 1982 & 85. *3 they shared the title with France having lost in Wales & beat the rest.

Good viewing mind you.
Could of told me that 2 years ago you hateful oul >sniper

Kept me amused looking for it during lockdown 1.0

A trophy every year from 82 to 85. Only the Paddys would throw a wooden spoon in between triple crowns and championship wins to ensure the trophy momentum.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The 6N is awash with tinpot trophies. I see there's now a new perpetual for the Scotland v Italy clash.

The Jocks seem particularly keen on these pots. I think they've now established one for every current 6N rivalry. Italy was an obvious choice as they struggle to get their hands on most of the others. Even if they did Hoggy would probably drop it.

Ireland will no doubt be bit a hoop if they retain the Quidditch Cup (or is it the Sasquatch Bowl?) Fecked if I know :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:The 6N is awash with tinpot trophies. I see there's now a new perpetual for the Scotland v Italy clash.

The Jocks seem particularly keen on these pots. I think they've now established one for every current 6N rivalry. Italy was an obvious choice as they struggle to get their hands on most of the others. Even if they did Hoggy would probably drop it.

Ireland will no doubt be bit a hoop if they retain the Quidditch Cup (or is it the Sasquatch Bowl?) Fecked if I know :scratch:
It's embarrassing now.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:32 am The 6N is awash with tinpot trophies. I see there's now a new perpetual for the Scotland v Italy clash.

Wikipedia has a page dedicated to all rugby union trophies of note. Interesting to read origins of some.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_uni ... and_awards

What always strikes me as odd is that there is no silverware for doing the Grand Slam. Which is the highest accolade of them all in Six Nations terms.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The reason maybe that a Grand Slam is not achieved on a yearly basis and the manner and order the fixture are played makes it a rare event especially for the Irish

Every other year the Irish play England and France away and the Italy Scotland then at home

Ireland never play the major three at home in the same year.

The major three being England France and Wales and the minnows away Scotland and Italy -- Minnows due to the fact they don't have the same player resources as the other 3 like wise the England France and Wales for years were considered semi professional teams --- not that they got paid to play but would have had" their jobs for the boys" players-- time to train etc and thus their players were fitter than most.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist