Autumn Nations Cup aka 8 Nations

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Autumn Nations Cup aka 8 Nations

Post by Dharper »

That could be a big big blow for the hec games coming up.

Game thoughts re UR:

The Try aside Healy really does look on his last legs, maybe it was fatigue with amount of game time in the series but a replacement is needed urgently. Consistently knocked back in the carry. EOS really did look very viable going forward. Solid in scrum, nice carries/work rate.

Herring had a solid outing at the lineout.

Stockdale wasn’t great under high ball. Several nice hard carries over the gainline. He is getting stuck in re rucks to stop any turn over which was very noticeable today. Some nice hands too.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

With Porter and Furlong we have two outstanding TH, but LH is definitely a weakness. Healy is done I think, need to look at a replacement for future years and certainly O'Sullivan did well. Interesting thing he possibly isn't Ulster's first choice.
Doris continues to impress, a really good footballer, O'Mahoney really good too.
Murray I thought did really well, seemed to be getting the ball away from rucks more quickly while Sexton wasn't great. Henshaw and Aki certainly can't complain, Stockdale did ok and Keenan on the wing I think is just too lightweight at present.
Scotland got undone with penalties, and not really having the pack assert themselves on the game.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

If Treadwell got 3wk suspension Liam Williams should get 6 months. Entirely deliberate assault imho.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Stockdale was 'mixed' at best under the high balls and that's a big ? for an international full back. Have to say, I'm not convinced that he should be playing there. He's a better wing.
EOS looked comfortable, well worth another run in the 6N.
Any news about Hendo's injury?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Think Stockdale is a bit like Trimble, just needs to mature into a position. Trimble was awful under the high ball but improved over time to be pretty good, Stockdale if he works at it will be the same.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

solidarity wrote:Stockdale was 'mixed' at best under the high balls and that's a big ? for an international full back. Have to say, I'm not convinced that he should be playing there. He's a better wing.
EOS looked comfortable, well worth another run in the 6N.
Any news about Hendo's injury?
Scan in the morning they said. Don't think it is a long term one from how he went off but I'd be surprised if he made Friday night.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I think the fact that Henderson tried to play on, might be a positive, but the fact he went off may mean he will be missing on friday

Stockdale unfortunately lacks the experience of GAA were taking and catching a ball in the air, basically without the threat of getting sliced in the air doesn't help.
GAA experience provides players with the confidence to jump and catch the ball with your hands above your head , Stockdale jumps trying to cradle the ball rather catch in his hands , the technique works on the ground , but the upward momentum for jumping means the ball frequently bounces out of the cradle.

Again as the last line of defence , with a player, (especially a winger) breaking through the initial line of defence and a full field space Stockdale was on a hiding to nothing , there is no way a defender can narrow the space available

But the fact remains he still looked the most dangerous back in the Irish back line ( yes Earls scored his two run ins but he didn't create them )
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I think the fact that Henderson tried to play on, might be a positive, but the fact he went off may mean he will be missing on friday

Stockdale unfortunately lacks the experience of GAA were taking and catching a ball in the air, basically without the threat of getting sliced in the air doesn't help.
GAA experience provides players with the confidence to jump and catch the ball with your hands above your head , Stockdale jumps trying to cradle the ball rather catch in his hands , the technique works on the ground , but the upward momentum for jumping means the ball frequently bounces out of the cradle.

Again as the last line of defence , with a player, (especially a winger) breaking through the initial line of defence and a full field space Stockdale was on a hiding to nothing , there is no way a defender can narrow the space available

But the fact remains he still looked the most dangerous back in the Irish back line ( yes Earls scored his two run ins but he didn't create them )
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:57 pm Think Stockdale is a bit like Trimble, just needs to mature into a position. Trimble was awful under the high ball but improved over time to be pretty good, Stockdale if he works at it will be the same.
I just don't get all the hype about Keenan. He has good hands and defends well. He is a very neat footballer and scored a couple of simple run in tries that any under age player could have scored. I don't see any attacking threat and he has given away a number of penalties. But he has
one huge advantage. He is from Dublin. Time will tell if he is going to be a regular on the team.
Earls scored two tries but after a Famine of 11 International matches, he was lucky to be on the pitch.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Hate to admit it, but I watched the final this afternoon. Fascinating match and the French were robbed.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I was hoping for a penalty shoot-out but it was an entertaining enough game. Looks like the French are developing some decent SID.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:11 pm I was hoping for a penalty shoot-out but it was an entertaining enough game. Looks like the French are developing some decent SID.
My thoughts exactly. I love the drama.

How do you think the English and the French A team would do against the southern hemisphere heavyweights?