Peel gone?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Keyboard Warrior
Novice

Peel gone?

Post by Keyboard Warrior »

Hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere but Cardiff just announced peel as senior assistant coach for next season https://twitter.com/cardiff_blues/statu ... 28545?s=19

*Edit*
Now confirmed on the Ulster site
https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2020/12/pee ... he-season/
"Sadly, rugby is now heading the way of soccer, fueled by pitiful websites and the anonymous vitriol of cowards." Tony Ward once again refocusing away from the real problems in Irish Rugby.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Peel gone?

Post by jean valjean »

Ruan Ruan!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

On the face of it, Peel will be a tough act to follow.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

always hard to know how the work is balanced out, but it seems as though he's done a good job. best of luck to him: you'd never begrudge anyone going home. Soper also seems to have had a more noticeable presence in media work, which I'm a fan of.

on the notion of coming home...team seeks talented scrum half with expert rugby brain moving into an early career coaching role - bring back Ruan! :fleg: :fleg: :fleg:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’m sure Ulster will have been planning for this eventuality and it’s important they get the right guy.

The coaching ticket at the moment looks very balanced with Dan, the proud dad almost, ably assisted by the avuncular Soper. Jared and Roddy aren’t much older than the players, with only the former having any links to ‘the past’. Peel seems to have occupied the space in the middle and occupied it well, albeit in a fairly low-profile kind of way.

Would we want it to be all about Ruan, all of a sudden?

Would Dan?
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:58 am I’m sure Ulster will have been planning for this eventuality and it’s important they get the right guy.

The coaching ticket at the moment looks very balanced with Dan, the proud dad almost, ably assisted by the avuncular Soper. Jared and Roddy aren’t much older than the players, with only the former having any links to ‘the past’. Peel seems to have occupied the space in the middle and occupied it well, albeit in a fairly low-profile kind of way.

Would we want it to be all about Ruan, all of a sudden?

Would Dan?
The coaching set up has a pretty balanced look to it at the moment, as much as Ruan is a legend he has no experience as a coach, now maybe the coaching team could help him establish himself but its a big ask.You'd want someone who brings a great deal of imagination and progression into the position - we have a lot of talented backs and you'd want someone who can utilise them well and push them further. If they feel Ruan is the guy then fair enough, Payne made the step up really well .. but is there the cash? Did they ever replace Willie Anderson in the academy?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

A reshuffling of the deck is not beyond the realms of posibility, Soper or Payne may fancy a shot at the attack side of things which may allow Ruan to come on board in a lesser role? I see Jonny Bell left Gloucester where he was defence coach to take up a position with Glasgow as attack coach.

Of what is currently on the market locally Derek Suffern is as highly rated in the AIL as Soper was before Soper joined the Ulster professional ranks. Suffern also managed to get Wallace HS their first ever Schools Cup trophy this year, albeit a share as the final was cancelled due to Covid, no mean feat supplying three players to the academy in Doak Jr, Crothers and Carson this year. He may be earmarked for Willie Andersons role?

Kieran Campbell in the academy may fancy a shuffle sideways?

If Ian McKinley now residing at the top of the lough has given up the notion of playing, he has all of his coaching badges and had already gone down that route prioir to getting a pro contract in Italy.

Neil Doak has just had a stint as Georgia's backs and attack coach, I believe he left on reasonable terms. Whilst I didn't admire the style he pressed as head coach for years our attack was impressive when he was running it and the players seemed to like him.

Dan may want to bring in his own man from his tenure in Scotland.

Who knows? What I do know is that our current credibility is high, whilst we may pick someone up from obscurity we are for once in a position to attract a high quality established coach. Dan likes to be his own man and may not want someone established in however Lancaster has worked just fine under Cullen.

I'm excited to see who gets it.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Who all has Dan hired, is it Soper and Grant, one Scottish and one more local? Got a feeling he will pick his own man.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:00 pm A reshuffling of the deck is not beyond the realms of posibility, Soper or Payne may fancy a shot at the attack side of things which may allow Ruan to come on board in a lesser role? I see Jonny Bell left Gloucester where he was defence coach to take up a position with Glasgow as attack coach.

Of what is currently on the market locally Derek Suffern is as highly rated in the AIL as Soper was before Soper joined the Ulster professional ranks. Suffern also managed to get Wallace HS their first ever Schools Cup trophy this year, albeit a share as the final was cancelled due to Covid, no mean feat supplying three players to the academy in Doak Jr, Crothers and Carson this year. He may be earmarked for Willie Andersons role?

If Ian McKinley now residing at the top of the lough has given up the notion of playing, he has all of his coaching badges and had already gone down that route prioir to getting a pro contract in Italy.

Neil Doak has just had a stint as Georgia's backs and attack coach, I believe he left on reasonable terms. Whilst I didn't admire the style he pressed as head coach for years our attack was impressive when he was running it and the players seemed to like him.

Who knows? What I do know is that our current credibility is high, whilst we may pick someone up from obscurity we are for once in a position to attract a high quality established coach. Dan likes to be his own man and may not want someone established in however Lancaster has worked just fine under Cullen.

Suffern,you have to be joking ffs
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Much as I loved, admired, stood in awe of Ruan, I'm not sure about him as a coach, for two reasons. First, he seems too 'nice'. He's a quiet self effacing soul, not what is necessary for a good coach. My second reason is that he is an instinctive player. He seems to just do it. If you were to ask him how he does it, I'm not sure that he could tell you. Maybe he's a bit like Glenn Hoddle, brilliant but never a coach. Or George Best, such a natural that he couldn't ever have passed it on by instruction.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

In addition Solids I would hate to have anything tarnish the great man's legacy and as we know virtually every coaching career ends in failure.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

If I may sum up chaps, ‘Great players don’t make great coaches’ and ‘Never go back’.

They’re two of the biggest cliches in the book for good reason!
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

solidarity wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:13 pm Much as I loved, admired, stood in awe of Ruan, I'm not sure about him as a coach, for two reasons. First, he seems too 'nice'. He's a quiet self effacing soul, not what is necessary for a good coach. My second reason is that he is an instinctive player. He seems to just do it. If you were to ask him how he does it, I'm not sure that he could tell you. Maybe he's a bit like Glenn Hoddle, brilliant but never a coach. Or George Best, such a natural that he couldn't ever have passed it on by instruction.
I disagree, I think Ruan would make a great coach.

He is the son of probably the best fullback of the 1980's, he lives and breaths rugby and has the talent to be capped by the Springboks at fullback, flyhalf and scrum half. At Ulster, not only was he the driving and creative force of the team, but he protected and nurtured a young fly half who would go on to be an international and become the only serious challenger to Sexton after his tour to South Africa 3 years ago.

Ruan is steeped in rugby knowledge and has so many skills he would be an invaluable coach for any team. We would be lucky to get him back.

As for being a nice guy, I understand Jared Payne is a nice guy........ and he is doing fairly well.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Gerald the Mole wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:55 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:00 pm A reshuffling of the deck is not beyond the realms of posibility, Soper or Payne may fancy a shot at the attack side of things which may allow Ruan to come on board in a lesser role? I see Jonny Bell left Gloucester where he was defence coach to take up a position with Glasgow as attack coach.

Suffern,you have to be joking ffs
Funny that's the exact same opinion you had the last time we appointed a coach from the AIL / schools system. Silly mole, super Soper!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19659&hilit=Soper
Gerald the Mole wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:49 am
kingofthehill wrote:Excellent appointment.

Bryn Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% disagree , yet again Ulster are Bargain Bucket Shopping. totally underwhelmed, Ulster you are taking the pi$$