2023 world cup

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Jetstream
Steward

Re: 2023 world cup

Post by Jetstream »

mea97mb wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:19 pm Stockdale just blew it with that attempted tackle.
Then Earls does the same
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Earls touched the ball about four times.

Nice of Casey to let every other player on the team have a go at 9 during the first half.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not to sure what Irelands defensive plan was but

Stockdale was facing two on one on several occasions and tackling the inside ball carrier and leaving the outside receiver to the cover defence and full back -- thus on the missed tackled situation the Irish defence was all in field leaving a very wide Italian wing unmarked using the the normal Ireland defencive line -- which would have the wing was meant to be marked by the full back --not by Stokdale --eexcept the full back had been subbed by the the out half who was out of position leaving Stockdale again two on one and having to run back to make an attempted tackle - on a wing who if tackled round the legs would score ( dive in ) and if tackled high from behind would also score -- thus an ineffective attempt at a grab .

It looked what it was a fibble attempt in an no hope situation.

Before that Stockdale had played a sound game nothing special but lacking mistakes.

According to Munsterfans Earls was the star winger

Henderson did what was wanted and what will be required a good 60 minute runout --which is what I think Farrell will be wanting from his second rows

Herring and Stewart were playing for the 3 hooker spot -- its a hard call -- Herring has the experience -- but Stewart could obtain a lot of experience as the third hooker which would be a future asset for Ireland . Herring unfortunately played in the Best era and is now like Henderson in his latter playing days where he won't be around for the NEXT World Cup whereas Stewart will. Hard call
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Herring will go with his big game experience. Rock steady. Foreseeable Stewart gets a call up as Kelleher is injury prone. No drop in ability just experience.
Stockers waves goodbye by answering what critics wanted to see ref poor defence. Keet no better but revered. Couldn't drop Keet and Coombes lol.

Not good. Stockers needs away from UR and Ireland- fresh start with someone like Shaun Edwards. Not sure he has the bottle though.
Exterminate all rational thought
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:15 pm Earls touched the ball about four times.

Nice of Casey to let every other player on the team have a go at 9 during the first half.
According to one "expert" on the Munster fans forum the only reason Stockdale is on the side is because he is on a Central Contract. The level of stupidity on some of those forums knows no bounds.
Casey had an up and down game. He had some really good spells but on other occasions was missing at ruck time. He is still a shade greedy and impetuous. Earls was quiet and they ran through him for a try. I think Kilcoyne should not be near the team. Loughman must be disappointed.
Herring and TOT quiet. Hendy, McCarthy and Doris were good. Conan quiet and Baird poor.
Crawley was really good and both centres mixed the good with the bad. O'Brien was good at 15.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Of course Munsterfans .like ourselves , have an axe to grind -- the wonder of Earls or Mr Attitude with tunnel vision of white lines -- which is a factor not to be belittled and not without merit .

I wouldn't get over worried about one" missed tackle" firstly in a what was a no win situation since in my opinion given the structure of the Irish defence the player was meant to marked by the full back and not Stockdale -- only reason it is claimed as a miss tackle being the fact he got back and across to make an attempt. Secondly none of the current Irish wingers are known tacklers they all have missed tackles before now.

Stockdale will be judged on how well he performed under the high ball rather than his ability to tackle .

The modern game consists of a back three other than a full back and two wings because scrum halves box kick and outside the 20 you can't kick directly into touch . Thus a back three player who can safely run the ball out of defence and into support or who if in the 20 can kick long into touch .

Wing backs must be "safe " players rather than tacklers because 9 times out of 10 the try would be scored despite a despairing on the line.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Stockdale might get one more run out off the bench but will need to be flawless in any remaining gametime. I suspect earls will get the final slot as a a break glass option but ireland need more than Hansen, lowe and keenan as a back 3. Big drop off to the next group IMO. Baloucoune should have been in camp as he would do a job in 2 of the 4 group games.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

As they say, you can only play what's in front of you; Italy weren't great and were hit by injuries, so difficult for Ireland to look good. Ireland looked ok but didn't give a lot to build our hopes up. As for the Ulstermen. At the minute, my guess is: obviously Hendo is on the plane; TOT and Herring probably; outside possibility of one out of Stockdale, Stewart and McCloskey. Stewart had a nice wee cameo; Stockdale had one or two eye-catching moments and McCloskey was very solid, but not enough to upset the current apple cart.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:05 pm Herring and TOT quiet. Hendy, McCarthy and Doris were good. Conan quiet and Baird poor.
Crawley was really good and both centres mixed the good with the bad. O'Brien was good at 15.
I wouldn’t say Red and TOT were quiet. Rob had a ‘good’ rather than spectacular game - his scrummaging and darts were fine and he was a positive presence around the rucks and mauls. Tom did a lot of hard carries and was not found wanting in the scrums (unlike Kilcoyne!). I think Tom has earned his place on the plane. Decision still to be made re Stewart/Herring - Rob might get the edge for his experience with TS considered ‘one for the future’.
Hope is not a strategy.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:05 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:15 pm Earls touched the ball about four times.

According to one "expert" on the Munster fans forum the only reason Stockdale is on the side is because he is on a Central Contract. The level of stupidity on some of those forums knows no bounds.
Casey had an up and down game. He had some really good spells but on other occasions was missing at ruck time. He is still a shade greedy and impetuous. Earls was quiet and they ran through him for a try. I think Kilcoyne should not be near the team. Loughman must be disappointed.
Herring and TOT quiet. Hendy, McCarthy and Doris were good. Conan quiet and Baird poor.
I thought Herring went well TBF. Hit his marks, and some good work in tight, plus decent carries. Better form than he showed for UR. Hendo best player with Doris. Looked on a mission until his next injury... How we missed his biff in the QF. TOT will go as third choice if AF takes 6 props. Stockers no chance. Mac despite a solid game, I doubt.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:26 pm
Jetstream wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:05 pm Herring and TOT quiet. Hendy, McCarthy and Doris were good. Conan quiet and Baird poor.
I wouldn’t say Red and TOT were quiet. Rob had a ‘good’ rather than spectacular game - his scrummaging and darts were fine and he was a positive presence around the rucks and mauls. Tom did a lot of hard carries and was not found wanting in the scrums (unlike Kilcoyne!). I think Tom has earned his place on the plane. Decision still to be made re Stewart/Herring - Rob might get the edge for his experience with TS considered ‘one for the future’.
TS standby until Kelleher gets injured lol
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Herring will go ahead of Stewart. AF talked about Stewart as being one for the future.

Earls ahead of Stockdale.

Stu will miss out as more versatile options to make up the numbers.

TOT and Hendy on the plane.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

I think McCloskey will go as it appears Henshaw is the back up 13 to Ringrose so they will need a back up for Aki
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bart S wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:44 pm Herring will go ahead of Stewart. AF talked about Stewart as being one for the future.

Agreed. Stewart will wait by the phone for the injury replacement call. Maybe Mac for Akis red lol
Godots bedpan
Novice

Post by Godots bedpan »

Bart S wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:44 pm Herring will go ahead of Stewart. AF talked about Stewart as being one for the future.

From an outside perspective I think Stockdale will go. Thought he had a good game, the try was a systems failure and not down to him, he was left covering too much of the pitch as Henshaw drifted too far infield. He had the discipline to stay on his feet and force the score & conversion wide rather than go for broke and let them score under the posts. He was far busier than Earls and made way more meters. Earls was poor defensively and brushed off far too easily for a close in tackle that just had to be made. No Irish back 3 player bar Keenan is rock solid defensively so for any mistake people highlight that JS makes you can just as easily pinpoint errors made by Hansen or Lowe. Stockdale on form was the best winger in the NH. His confidence was shot to hell, I think AF reckons he can rebuild that confidence. For Earls it looks like Father Time has caught up with him. Amazing player but the zip is gone, it no longer looks like he has the ability to cover at centre so I think he might be the big name casualty when the final squad is named. If Australia can omit Hooper we surely can have the balls to leave an equally great servant to the game in Ireland behind.