2023 world cup

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: 2023 world cup

Post by Bart S »

Godots bedpan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:42 pm
Bart S wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:44 pm Herring will go ahead of Stewart. AF talked about Stewart as being one for the future.

Earls ahead of Stockdale.

Stu will miss out as more versatile options to make up the numbers.

TOT and Hendy on the plane.
From an outside perspective I think Stockdale will go. Thought he had a good game, the try was a systems failure and not down to him, he was left covering too much of the pitch as Henshaw drifted too far infield. He had the discipline to stay on his feet and force the score & conversion wide rather than go for broke and let them score under the posts. He was far busier than Earls and made way more meters. Earls was poor defensively and brushed off far too easily for a close in tackle that just had to be made. No Irish back 3 player bar Keenan is rock solid defensively so for any mistake people highlight that JS makes you can just as easily pinpoint errors made by Hansen or Lowe. Stockdale on form was the best winger in the NH. His confidence was shot to hell, I think AF reckons he can rebuild that confidence. For Earls it looks like Father Time has caught up with him. Amazing player but the zip is gone, it no longer looks like he has the ability to cover at centre so I think he might be the big name casualty when the final squad is named. If Australia can omit Hooper we surely can have the balls to leave an equally great servant to the game in Ireland behind.
The system failure may still have led to a try but Stockdale's attempt was pathetic. Everything about it looked wrong.

He got a lot more ball than Earls which can happen to wingers. Still don't see his form as being anywhere near 2018, which was now 5 years ago.

Agree on Lowe and Hansen although Mack does seem to have improved significantly defensively.
The real pity is not Stockdale, but Rob B, as i think he is good enough to be starting, never mind making the squad.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

If Stockdale's attempt was pathetic how would you rate Earls turnstile tackle?
I hope Jacob is not picked. If he is selected instead of "legend Keith" he will lambasted by all Munster fans, some of whom are not sure whether they are supporting South Africa ( Kleyn, Snyman) or Ireland in the World Cup.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

AF seems determined to get Earls to a hundred caps.

Needs one I think now, at which point he should take the well earned plaudits and call it a day.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:AF seems determined to get Earls to a hundred caps.

Needs one I think now, at which point he should take the well earned plaudits and call it a day.
Give him a run off the bench against England and a nice walk around the aviva as a farewell.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Jetstream wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:12 am If Stockdale's attempt was pathetic how would you rate Earls turnstile tackle?
I hope Jacob is not picked. If he is selected instead of "legend Keith" he will lambasted by all Munster fans, some of whom are not sure whether they are supporting South Africa ( Kleyn, Snyman) or Ireland in the World Cup.
It was a weak tackle by Earls for sure but Stockdale's wasn't even good enough to be considered a tackle. It was like watching some of James Lowe's efforts a couple of years ago when he then got dropped.

Both Stockdale and Lowe seem to have poor techniques and can be positionally suspect too. If Stockdale could emulate how Andrew Trimble worked on that part of his game after some tough times he could still be a great player for Ireland
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Before Stockdale works on his technique he needs to grow a set.
Excuses excuses but the reality is he’s more Yella than Big Bird
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

TinPig wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:10 pm Before Stockdale works on his technique he needs to grow a set.
:roll:
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Are these warm up games worth it? Other than producing income ( although I will never pay to watch what in effect is a training session) ,nearly every team now has injury problems that they didn't have 2 weeks ago. ( and being tackled in the air of teeth g shoulder to head would not improve your humour)

Seems a nonsense, and very unfair on the players. Do you go hard to get included or stay included, or hangback to protect yourself?

Pick your 33, have training sessions and get on with it.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

TinPig wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:10 pm Before Stockdale works on his technique he needs to grow a set.
Tbf there's no pro players or indeed any players playing at senior level that could be called yellow. Flawed technique maybe but it takes guts to play at senior or elite level
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:22 pm Are these warm up games worth it? Other than producing income ( although I will never pay to watch what in effect is a training session) ,nearly every team now has injury problems that they didn't have 2 weeks ago. ( and being tackled in the air of teeth g shoulder to head would not improve your humour)

Seems a nonsense, and very unfair on the players. Do you go hard to get included or stay included, or hangback to protect yourself?

Ntamack did his ACL and Baille sustained a six week calf injury against the Jocks at the weekend.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:11 pm
Bobbievee wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:22 pm Are these warm up games worth it? Other than producing income ( although I will never pay to watch what in effect is a training session) ,nearly every team now has injury problems that they didn't have 2 weeks ago. ( and being tackled in the air of teeth g shoulder to head would not improve your humour)

Ntamack did his ACL and Baille sustained a six week calf injury against the Jocks at the weekend.
Ntamack is a real loss to the spectacle. Somebody needs to stop this ,
Madness. How about if teams played all their friendly warm up matches at Kingspan? Not much danger of getting hurt in tackles and a few bob in the coffers ( but not from me!)
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes it’s a shame.

France have a few decent alternatives but he can glide through a gap in the blink of an eye, as we know to our peril.

He probably wasn’t looking forward to a cold, wet January night in Belfast anyway though.
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

Wee Owen cleared of all charges and available to knock some Irish heads off on Saturday...
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It wasn’t the worst tackle he’s ever made.

Glad to see the ‘bunker’ system working so well!
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

Will any England player ever get a ban that means he will be unavailable for either an international or club game of any importance?