drop goals

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: drop goals

Post by BR »

Even the traditional to last minute, game-snatching DG (or extra-time, cup snatching) has become less attractive. So many penalties can be 'won'/milked from breakdowns (or even open play) and with the referees' bias towards the team in possession another phase becomes more attractive. Additionally the line-out from penalty option after the clock is red has reduced the haste which last minute scoring opportunities once created.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Final word from me
Jeremy Guscott, 2nd test, Lions v SA. Case closed
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/ ... cle/287852

Ah, so not the final word!
You read it here first folks!
December 2020
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Bobbievee wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:15 am http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/ ... cle/287852

Ah, so not the final word!
You read it here first folks!
December 2020
I was actually wondering if this would happen. I could be wrong, but from memory, using a goal line drop out as a restart used to be the rule and it was changed to a 22 drop out for exactly this reason. I think it was England(?) trying to pin a team in their own half with spamming drop goals that triggered the change originally?
Yorkie
Novice

Post by Yorkie »

To be fair I am surprised they have dropped off especially with the 50/22 kick rule being brought in as ultimately for most halves that's a bread and butter kick distance to win the line out. A far line out and you a phase or 2 away from being within 30 metres bang in front of the posts. Most teams unless chasing would take a penalty from there so seems strange that more haven't tried to develop a set tactic for this.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

They need to get rid of the mark. It's a too easy get out these days.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

big mervyn wrote:They need to get rid of the mark. It's a too easy get out these days.
Or you can only call a mark if you catch it with one hand.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Taking a mark is usually a bad move. You usually take it in the corner so you have no angle to kick for touch and you're unlikely to get any distance (especially if you're Rob Lyttle), and you don't get the lineout so you're just giving the opposition possession in a decent attacking position. It's only really useful as a tactic if you have a good lead and are trying to use up the clock.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

paddybrown wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 pm ... It's only really useful as a tactic if you have a good lead and are trying to use up the clock.
Or if you're about to get twātted!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

When did ulster last score a drop goal? I can't remember any recent ones. Having the main kicker as a 9 probably doesn't help.

3 I remember are :- 1) Ruan to beat the Dragons in the last minute, 2) I Hump with a biggy at Thomond in the 2012 heiny win there and 3) D Hump's winner at the Ospreys in 2006 to win the league at the death.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Paddy’s against Exeter was 2016.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

big mervyn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:53 pm They need to get rid of the mark. It's a too easy get out these days.
Or else reintroduce it in it's original form. Quite a bit of skill required to catch a ball and make a mark with your heel.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Yorkie
Novice

Post by Yorkie »

mid ulster maestro wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:53 pm They need to get rid of the mark. It's a too easy get out these days.
Or else reintroduce it in it's original form. Quite a bit of skill required to catch a ball and make a mark with your heel.
Be a real skill on these synthetic pitches that are about!

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

jacothelad
Novice

Post by jacothelad »

When I started playing if you were tackled in possession into touch, your team retained the throw-in as you were not responsible for the stoppage. That would be an interesting situation today.
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

paddybrown wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 pm Taking a mark is usually a bad move. You usually take it in the corner so you have no angle to kick for touch and you're unlikely to get any distance (especially if you're Rob Lyttle), and you don't get the lineout so you're just giving the opposition possession in a decent attacking position. It's only really useful as a tactic if you have a good lead and are trying to use up the clock.
There was a recent game (can’t remember who Ulster were playing, but within the last 6 weeks) and the opposing team constantly took a mark. It was doing my head in!

Basically their wing/full back caught the ball, they weren’t in the air, glanced up and realised nowt was on so called a mark. These were marks taken well in field, so all it did was allow him to settle himself and make a much better clearance rather than letting the heat of a tackler put him under pressure.

To me that’s not in the spirit of what a mark should be used for and is something that the laws need to clamp down on. The ways it’s going every kick will become uncontested unless they set much clearer messages as to how and when it’s called. Tbh I don’t understand the need for it anymore, given the protection that a player getting tackled is offered these days, what’s the necessity?