Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Re: Contract Situation

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

Thanks for the welcome...delighted to have rewarded your patience

I thought my point was reasonably clear...Dan is a very conservative coach who isn't very good at developing young players

who would we replace him with?...I will consult with my mates but I think I know what they will say..."his contract is up next year, he's Irish and he's in South Africa
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

What, Noel McNamara ?

But of course, if your mates want Lynne Cantwell, I do like their left-field thinking. >clapping
Last edited by WestDr on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

McNamara? Or Felix Jones?
I hear Jones is very highly rated but zero experience as head coach.
‘Fraid my vote sticks with Dan for now.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm backing big Dan. Ulster is not an easy coaching gig. Far from it. Shafted by the FIRFU many times. I do have my queries at times over selection. I will never know how Matt Rea, Jones were preferred without Marcus getting a sniff for so long. Equally though his persistence with 'he who must not be named' drew criticism on this forum. Not by me. I thought that was quite progressive. Mind you Cooney was out and wee dave the only alternative.

The fear of losing Dan is propelled by the past experience of the many pretenders Ulster had: Kiss, Matt Williams, the cowboy etc..

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Dave wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:30 pm I'm backing big Dan. Ulster is not an easy coaching gig. Far from it. Shafted by the FIRFU many times. I do have my queries at times over selection. I will never know how Matt Rea, Jones were preferred without Marcus getting a sniff for so long. Equally though his persistence with 'he who must not be named' drew criticism on this forum. Not by me. I thought that was quite progressive. Mind you Cooney was out and wee dave the only alternative.

The fear of losing Dan is propelled by the past experience of the many pretenders Ulster had: Kiss, Matt Williams, the cowboy etc..
Good point. If I could ask for anything again next season it would be a very similar sequence of opposition to that Ulster had at the start of this season. The consistent selection of our very own Voldemort (and to an extent Jones and the Much Better Rea) was facilitated by that run of games, where he worked out where he needed to get better (assisted of course by those who pointed out these areas where they believed he could round out his game). The triumph is, that like Michael Lowry, he's really used the opportunity to do so, and it would not surprise me at all if he started on Saturday and for the rest of the season.

I can easily see a Ginger Combination at 9-10 (Healy, not Jackson sadly) for Ireland in the next few years. Throw in Frawley at 12 (who I thought looked quite good there for Leinster v the Sharks) and it'll be matches under floodlights only....

Coming back to the coaching thing, it's entirely correct to recognise the tension between Ulster looking after its own interests and being subservient to what D4 and Nucifora want. I get the impression that Dan McF holds his own there (as does Petrie), being just older and wiser, whereas someone like Felix Jones or Noel McNarmara would inevitably be much more creatures of the IRFU, with Ulster just being a way-station on the route to Leinster and Ireland Head Coach gigs. That can be Munster's fate as far as I'm concerned.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Be interesting if Rog manages to win something at LAR this or next season, He might fancy a go at ulster. Be interesting to watch the fall-out that would occur should that happen.
McCall might alsi fancy a homecoming at some stage with someone like Jeremy Davidson as head coach.
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

Was Dan a head coach before Ulster?

I didn't say Dan was "Brad Pitt"...in fact I think he has been a steadying influence at Ulster ...just don't think he's the man to take us to the next level...the level where we win something?

mcnamara would my choice...good man manager...good at getting the players to do the zero talent stuff...plays to the players strengths
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Contract Situation

Post by kingofthehill »

TheUlsterTruth wrote:Was Dan a head coach before Ulster?

I didn't say Dan was "Brad Pitt"...in fact I think he has been a steadying influence at Ulster ...just don't think he's the man to take us to the next level...the level where we win something?

mcnamara would my choice...good man manager...good at getting the players to do the zero talent stuff...plays to the players strengths
McNamara took an Ireland schools team that lost to Georgia in 2015.

The rugby he played at Ireland u20s was brutal. Played between the two 15m channel, incredibly narrow. Wouldn’t suit Ulster.

He should of been shown the door in first first season(2018) when they won 3 games from 10 only just escaping relegation against Japan.

Got lucky with an incredibly talented u20s team the following year I think that essentially kept him in a job.

He’s definitely not for me and I’m convinced IRFU happy to get rid of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

I remember the Japan match ...thats the one he played Mike Lowry at fullback
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

TheUlsterTruth wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:50 pm Was Dan a head coach before Ulster?

No Ulster is his first head coach job.

I think overall he's doing a good job. I'm not wild about some of his selections, I am also concerned with how frequently Ulster seem to play worse in the second half compared to the first half of games, but you do have to recognise where we are coming from and where we are.

Long way to go still, but hard to see any better options out there.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Contract Situation

Post by kingofthehill »

TheUlsterTruth wrote:I remember the Japan match ...thats the one he played Mike Lowry at fullback
Think your right. Called into the squad as injury replacement having not been selected initially to tour by Noel.

If you have aspirations Noel isn’t your man.
I’m happy to support Dan until contract up then make a decision.

I would be breaking the bank for Tony Brown or Jamie Joseph but that’s just day dreams.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

In consecutive games he played centres from the previous game on the wing, the wingers in the centre. They lost. This was an u20 6N if I remember correctly.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:In consecutive games he played centres from the previous game on the wing, the wingers in the centre. They lost. This was an u20 6N if I remember correctly.
Hume on the wing if my memory serves me well Image

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:In consecutive games he played centres from the previous game on the wing, the wingers in the centre. They lost. This was an u20 6N if I remember correctly.
Hume on the wing if my memory serves me well Image

Not exactly a visionary.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

TheUlsterTruth wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:59 pm Thanks for the welcome...delighted to have rewarded your patience

I thought my point was reasonably clear...Dan is a very conservative coach who isn't very good at developing young players

who would we replace him with?...I will consult with my mates but I think I know what they will say..."his contract is up next year, he's Irish and he's in South Africa
I gave you a chance to take a breath but…

To state that Dan isn’t very good at developing young players when we have a youthful set of backs (now internationals in several cases) that is the envy of most, if not every, side in Europe is simply ludicrous.